Will a sea hare eat chaeto?

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've searched online but found mixed oppinions. I I have one to assist with hair alage removal. It is the common brown one that is hard to see when on rocks. I was going to return it when it's job is done but I'm wondering if it will eat chaeto? I have 2 systems both with chaeto in the fuges. One is a pretty dirty sump some hair algae along with other slimy nastiness. I would prefer to to keep it but realize a food source is needed and I don't want to have to directly feed it, as I have enough going on and don't need to add to my list of things to remember to do.

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've searched online but found mixed oppinions. I I have one to assist with hair alage removal. It is the common brown one that is hard to see when on rocks. I was going to return it when it's job is done but I'm wondering if it will eat chaeto? I have 2 systems both with chaeto in the fuges. One is a pretty dirty sump some hair algae along with other slimy nastiness. I would prefer to to keep it but realize a food source is needed and I don't want to have to directly feed it, as I have enough going on and don't need to add to my list of things to remember to do.
It will eat more than the sump can grow, and will need to be fed algae eventually.

lulubap

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will mostly likely eat the chaeto and as slugsnorter mentioned, more than the sump can grow. Some sea hares are accustomed to eating nori as a supplemented diet, but it's better to return it so it leads a healthy and happy algae life.

jev99

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a smaller one so I'll probably put it in the dirty sump for a while. I'll return it once I'm positive the hair algae is under control and the rest of the CC is in place. Thanks
so what ever happened to the chaeto experiment? did the sea hare actually eat it?

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 153 61.4%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 67 26.9%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 87 34.9%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 43 17.3%
  • Other

Votes: 67 26.9%
Back