Will a seahorse be ok in this tank?

Stacyod

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my lfs has a seahorse for sale. I’m not sure what type. The owner said he didn’t remember but it came from Tampa Bay. I have a 30 gallon long tank with 20 pounds mixed live and dead rock established 8 months ago. It’s home to 1 percola clown, 1 misbar clown, 1 ruby red dragonet, 1 neon dotty back, 1 bubble tip anemone, 1 skunk shrimp, 1 blood shrimp , 1 fromia star, 1 hammer coral, 1 green star polyp, 1 cluster zoa and the usual clean up crew. Water parameters are stable. I feed mysis, spirinula, baby brine that I grow, phytofeast once a week and frozen wild caught Shrimp pieces for the anemone. I add a bottle of copepods ever other month. Do you think the seahorse will work well in this tank?

WMR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s Hippocampus Erectus. Unfortunately, no, seahorses are pretty much a species tank only.

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been keeping H erectus for almost 5 years and I agree with WMR that all seahorses are best in a specie specific tank. Having experimented with having calm fish as tankmates for me has always resulted in bacterial infections. Seahorses are much more prone to bacterial infections than other fishes.

Thete is a lot of good info on seahorse keeping in the stickies under the seahorse pipefish topics if you are interested in learning more.

Lucie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The owner said he didn’t remember but it came from Tampa Bay.
So it s a wild caught, which is a big no, both for ethical and sanitary reasons
I have a 30 gallon long tank with 20 pounds mixed live and dead rock established 8 months ago. It’s home to 1 percola clown, 1 misbar clown, 1 ruby red dragonet, 1 neon dotty back, 1 bubble tip anemone, 1 skunk shrimp, 1 blood shrimp , 1 fromia star, 1 hammer coral, 1 green star polyp, 1 cluster zoa and the usual clean up crew. Water parameters are stable. I feed mysis, spirinula, baby brine that I grow, phytofeast once a week and frozen wild caught Shrimp pieces for the anemone. I add a bottle of copepods ever other month. Do you think the seahorse will work well in this tank?
All non recommended or dangerous/forbidden critters are highlighted. It won t eat copepods and will need mysis.

Also, seahorses don t do well alone, at least a pair or better : a small group

HunterW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I am a work from home person; I for some reason have a mind to do a seahorse specific tank. I am a long ago tank keeper, and ran two WELL stocked and well run fish departments & managed tow stores WAY back in the day.(Our owners were vets with clinics next door).
Bottom line, I am getting a 90 bow front, I want to do dead rock, vs live. It would be a FOWD...there such a thing these days?..for starters...I am researching big time and not in a hurry to thrown the horses in the tank. I will make progress in months vs. week, believe me... For me seahorses ARE new, and when I was in the biz professionally (back in the 70's) we refused to get seahorses in the store. My boss (vetrinarian) was very carefully who he sold to.
Case in point; one of his stores sold bettas. There were guys that would come in just to buy the bettas for betta fights. They would have hundred dollar bills in a roll!! We limited how many were sold at a time as I remember.
I am researching seahorses for the next few months as I work on different things I need to get done....
Anyway, I digress....thanks for listening.

rayjay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well a GOOD place to start is reading the stickies at the top of this forum. You can also go to Facebook Seahorse Source's Group and click on "FILES" for more reading.
(welcome to the obsession)

HunterW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, you are spot on for me studying right in the R2R forums; I even found post about how to ship/ or receive a sump/tank here. Thank you!

Coogles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The owner said he didn’t remember but it came from Tampa Bay.
So it s a wild caught, which is a big no, both for ethical and sanitary reasons
I have a 30 gallon long tank with 20 pounds mixed live and dead rock established 8 months ago. It’s home to 1 percola clown, 1 misbar clown, 1 ruby red dragonet, 1 neon dotty back, 1 bubble tip anemone, 1 skunk shrimp, 1 blood shrimp , 1 fromia star, 1 hammer coral, 1 green star polyp, 1 cluster zoa and the usual clean up crew. Water parameters are stable. I feed mysis, spirinula, baby brine that I grow, phytofeast once a week and frozen wild caught Shrimp pieces for the anemone. I add a bottle of copepods ever other month. Do you think the seahorse will work well in this tank?
All non recommended or dangerous/forbidden critters are highlighted. It won t eat copepods and will need mysis.

Also, seahorses don t do well alone, at least a pair or better : a small group

Hopefully the shop owner meant that the seahorse came from a wholesaler in Tampa Bay, which is where Segrest Farms is located.

Lucie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wholeseller usually have both captive bred and wild caught. i just checked them and they have both indeed
Maybe it s one of the ones i v raised :)
The shop owner should be able to tell you if it s a wild or a captive bred. Also price between both differ en lot (WC are much cheaper)

Lucie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, you are spot on for me studying right in the R2R forums; I even found post about how to ship/ or receive a sump/tank here. Thank you!
I think the best would be to make your own thread so you can ask all questions you want!
Seahorses are not that complicated, people are still thinking like 20 years ago ;)

HunterW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the best would be to make your own thread so you can ask all questions you want!
Seahorses are not that complicated, people are still thinking like 20 years ago ;)
Thank you so much! You are right too; my boss wouldn't let us order them!

RobW

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my lfs has a seahorse for sale. I’m not sure what type. The owner said he didn’t remember but it came from Tampa Bay. I have a 30 gallon long tank with 20 pounds mixed live and dead rock established 8 months ago. It’s home to 1 percola clown, 1 misbar clown, 1 ruby red dragonet, 1 neon dotty back, 1 bubble tip anemone, 1 skunk shrimp, 1 blood shrimp , 1 fromia star, 1 hammer coral, 1 green star polyp, 1 cluster zoa and the usual clean up crew. Water parameters are stable. I feed mysis, spirinula, baby brine that I grow, phytofeast once a week and frozen wild caught Shrimp pieces for the anemone. I add a bottle of copepods ever other month. Do you think the seahorse will work well in this tank?
In my opinion, seahorses belong in more of a species specific tank. I dont know a whole lot about them but I think they are real slow eaters and the others in the tank would basically eat everything before they get any or something. Anyone, please feel free to chime in here if I am wrong.

RobW

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I guess I should have read some others posts. Everyone beat me to the punch. Lol well at least I didnt give a wrong response.

jefra

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you get a culture or two of baby brine shrimp running, dwarf seahorses (Hippocampus zosterae) are hardy and prolific breeders. You keep a colony in a 10 gallon or a pair even in a large jar with an air bubbler and macroalgae for camouflage and nutrient export. BUT they will absolutely never eat frozen or prepared foods and will die quickly without regular feedings of baby brine shrimp.

Lucie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you get a culture or two of baby brine shrimp running, dwarf seahorses (Hippocampus zosterae) are hardy and prolific breeders. You keep a colony in a 10 gallon or a pair even in a large jar with an air bubbler and macroalgae for camouflage and nutrient export. BUT they will absolutely never eat frozen or prepared foods and will die quickly without regular feedings of baby brine shrimp.
Hum no, they eat frozen but feeding them frozen is the promise of a lot of problems.
They seem not to be that hardy, as all the people deceided to do dwarfs loose them before a year of keeping, for most of them.
Honestly, to keep them long term you really need to be very attentive to hygiena and waterchanges, and continue everyday to keep up with decapsulationg-hatching-cleaning-enriching the BBS

Back