Will adding 2 clowns and a cleanup crew overwhelm my new tank?

msavoy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank has finished cycling and I’m going to purchase a couple of clowns today. I was thinking about maybe picking up a few snails and hermits at the same time. Would you recommend I get this cleanup crew at the same time or might that be going a bit fast? I don’t want to overwhelm the tank since I know we’re supposed to introduce things slowly.

jgirardnrg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank has finished cycling and I’m going to purchase a couple of clowns today. I was thinking about maybe picking up a few snails and hermits at the same time. Would you recommend I get this cleanup crew at the same time or might that be going a bit fast? I don’t want to overwhelm the tank since I know we’re supposed to introduce things slowly.

I added 2 clowns and a royal gramma after my cycle. I waited a couple weeks and started adding the clean up crew as needed. You need something for the cleanup crew to clean up.

OP
OP
M

msavoy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added 2 clowns and a royal gramma after my cycle. I waited a couple weeks and started adding the clean up crew as needed. You need something for the cleanup crew to clean up.

ok good to know, that’s what I thought. It’s weird though because my LFS recommends first I get a cleanup crew and then a few weeks later start adding fish. I thought this seemed backwards.

jgirardnrg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your mileage may vary but I added the 3 fish first. The clean up crew eat algae, detritus, uneaten food etc... if you put them in first I guess you'd have to feed them something. Do you have any algae anywhere yet?

OP
OP
M

msavoy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your mileage may vary but I added the 3 fish first. The clean up crew eat algae, detritus, uneaten food etc... if you put them in first I guess you'd have to feed them something. Do you have any algae anywhere yet?
No real algae that I can see yet. Maybe I’ll wait a couple of weeks for the cleanup crew then. I want them to have food.

SMSREEF

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok good to know, that’s what I thought. It’s weird though because my LFS recommends first I get a cleanup crew and then a few weeks later start adding fish. I thought this seemed backwards.
I don’t see why you couldn’t add your clowns, a couple snails and a couple hermits together.
Hermits are gonna eat the food your clowns don’t.
Snails are gonna eat the algae.

Did you cycle with the lights on? There is no algae a on the glass yet?

OP
OP
M

msavoy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t see why you couldn’t add your clowns, a couple snails and a couple hermits together.
Hermits are gonna eat the food your clowns don’t.
Snails are gonna eat the algae.

Did you cycle with the lights on? There is no algae a on the glass yet?
I don’t see any algae yet. I did half the cycle with the lights off because I was waiting for my light to arrive in the mail. So the light has been on for about 2 weeks now. That’s true, a couple of each couldn’t hurt if they eat the food the clowns don’t. Do you recommend feeding the clowns flake food or frozen food? I was reading mysis shrimp are healthy for them and was thinking about feeding them that.

SMSREEF

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed mine LRS Fish Frenzy, frozen mysis and TDO chromaboost pellets. Live Blackworms when I can get them too.

One reason you may want to add CUC before fish is to make sure your tank is really cycled. And give it a couple more weeks to build up even more bacteria.

Hermits are gonna make it through an ammonia spike. Snails won’t, but a couple snails that die are better than 2 clowns.

But if you cycled by bringing ammonia up to 2ppm and it is now coming down to 0 within 24 hours. You are ready for fish.

OP
OP
M

msavoy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Out of the two I'd go with the frozen brine with spirulina. My fish get that, white worms, frozen clams, live brine shrimp and every other day I throw some New Life Spectrum sinking pellets in there.
Ok thank you, I’ll pick up some frozen brine and spirulina with my fish.

jgirardnrg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another good sign, and how I knew when my cycle completed, is watching for random bubbles coming out of the rock and sand. The day I started seeing the (nitrogen I'm guessing?) bubbles was the day nitrates started showing up. After I saw those I did one more dose of ammonia just to be sure and I was good to go.

OP
OP
M

msavoy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Off topic question: How do you make sure the 2 clowns will not fight with each other? Do they have to be a bonded pair?
I was also reading if you introduce them both at the same time you shouldn’t have any problems. It’s when you introduce them at different times.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 17 34.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 12.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 17 34.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 9 18.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.0%
Back