Will cold water kill my coral?

Woodchip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recently my tanks water temperature got a couple degrees colder than i normally keep it and a bunch of my coral closed up and one montipora died. I got it back up to normal but my coral are still closed. Will they open back up by themselves or is there something i can do to help them?

brmreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recently my tanks water temperature got a couple degrees colder than i normally keep it and a bunch of my coral closed up and one montipora died. I got it back up to normal but my coral are still closed. Will they open back up by themselves or is there something i can do to help them?

If temp was the culprit, then just keep temp stable and prevent any additional significant temp fluctuations/changes from re-occurring. See if they pull through. If the remaining coral continually have minimal stress, then they could open back up.

Woodyman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t know the exact temperature or how long it was so that temperature but it may have been up to a week
What's your ambient temperature where the tank is located?

Woodyman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where do you normally keep your temp and what temp did you find the tank at?

DrufusReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I live in Fl. My house is kept at 74 degrees, and my tank hovers around 75. We don't have cold weather so I don't run a heater, but my tank has gotten down to 68. That is not a killer, but dropping 6 degrees quickly or anything under 70 for a prolonged period can kill coral. I don't think your temp was the killer of the Monti unless it dropped quickly. What are your prams?

DrufusReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok thank you for helping me figure that out i am fairly new to this hobby
No worries. Since it is a new tank it also may not be ready for SPS even though Monti's are fairly easy to keep. There are 100 ways your coral could have died, but most likely it was your tank was not ready not that there was a temp decrease. Try some Softies and LPS to get your feet wet. If they stay alive go back to SPS;)

Back