will curing LR in tank amek the water cloudy?

LittleReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have about 10lbs of live rock curing in my 90 gal tank (new tank,no fish,no corals). After adding the LR and sand, it clouded up-went away within a day. Then I aquascaped with about 75 lbs of dry rock and it clouded up again. It's been about 3 days and it hasn't cleared up at all this time.
Is the LR curing causing this-maybe the die off in the water is clouding it up?
I have 2 powerheads that are 1300 gph and I'm using a reef octopus BH800 S (hob) skimmer. My nitrates are around 20 atm. This was a 55 gal tank that had a leak, and we moved to a 90.
Should I be concerned, or does anyone think it'll fade away like before?
Thanks =)

wicked demon

trained monkey
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It should settle out, (knowing nothing of your setup), curing 10 lbs shouldnot cloud anything, curing is simply decaying the dead organics off the rock and allowing new bacterial growth.

spongebob

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i set my tank up with dry BRS rock and it seemed to make my water slightly cloudy/yellow collor. Most likely pigments from decaying things still left within the dry rock.

Do you run a filter sock? If you dont then try it and see if it would help you remove some of suspended particles.

ddwbeagles

Northern VA Novice Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm with demon on this one. I have never seen the LR curing process cloud the water. Cause algae outbreaks, diatom blooms, etc... But those are easily reconzible and don't "cloud" the water. However, adding SAND most certainly will. A pic would really help. Does it look like white & milky? My guess is that either the addition of new row may of directed some of your water flow down to the sandbed and it started picking up small particulates (sugar sand). I'll say this.....gravity is a powerful thing and unless this is a bacterial bloom, then it will all settle. Give it a few more days.

A quick and harmless test you can do to confirm the suspicion above. Take liquid calcium or purple up or anything you add that is very visible in color and squirt a little in front of the powerheads and watch the flow. Hoping it's not too cloudy to do this. Anyway, if you can watch the water path you may be able to see it getting deflected down to the sandbed. OR - (if possible) slow the circultation way down. You're only cycling right now, so it's not going to hurt anything. Good luck and tell us what you found out.

Back to the LR issue though

OP
OP
L

LittleReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's white cloudiness. After another day i realized it was from my powerheads because the sand in the middle of the tank was sloping and the sides were getting higher. I turned off the powerheads and it cleared up in a day. I repositioned them and it clouded right up again.I guess I'll jsut have to fool around with it a few more times to find the right spot.

MAKcorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would imagine that is just cloudy from moving stuff around, sand, and other organics off the rocks. It probably all just settles back to the ground after the powerheads are turned off. I don't really know why it would be a milky white though. Some pics would definatley help.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 75 44.1%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 79 46.5%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 16 9.4%
Back