Will Damsels host Anemones

ilikefish69

Kind of a Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anemones do not need to host anything... They can live happily without any fish. If you do decide to buy a nem, don't expect anything other than for it to be pretty; just enjoy it for what it is and if it ends up hosting fish, it will be a nice surprise :)
I bought a neon green condy for this exact reason. Coolest looking thing in my tank. No expectations of clown hosting, and no interest shown in it either

ilikefish69

Kind of a Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't believe condys host clownfish
No they definitely do not lol. I knew that going into it, but my hope is not completely lost. They were in it at LFS but they said that was most likely stress related and none of my fish are stressed so that behavior won’t repeat. One day when I stumble upon a nice BTA I will grab it up. LFS was selling their quarter size BTA for $250 and I was like uhh no? Clowns would just stress it out and kill it at that size

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick question is $50 for a small nem good?
I would look through the selling forum on here and Facebook. I sold an 8" nem for $50 a couple weeks ago. Store prices will be high and health of the animal will be suspect.

ThRoewer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Domino Damsel and I was wondering if it will host an anemone. I was thinking Bubble Tip my LFS has some nice ones. I would (as soon as my tank is matured) like to have an anemone if my damsel will host it. Also any tips on anemone care are greatly appreciated! Thanks!
No fish will ever host an anemone.
Anemones host some fish, most notably Anemonefish, some Dascylus damsels, certain Cardinals, and some gobies.
Anemones also host a number of shrimp and crab-like shrimp.
The only marine animals I know of to actually host Anemones are Boxing Crabs and some Hermit Crabs.
I have yet to see a fish swimming around with an anemone attached to it

Sdot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, a little late to this party. Just be very careful with cipro and use it as a last resort imo.... that stuff can cause anemones to bleach, it can be a long tough road back from that. On the other hand its better than a dead nem.

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, a little late to this party. Just be very careful with cipro and use it as a last resort imo.... that stuff can cause anemones to bleach, it can be a long tough road back from that. On the other hand its better than a dead nem.
I've never heard of this happening before.
@Rtaylor @Lost in the Sauce @Eagle_Steve ever witnessed this?

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It happened to me...
I don't mean offense. Just a certain group of guys that have a history of usage. I'm asking so I don't offer bad advice in the future. I myself never had that issue. Without knowing your setup and getting a backstory, it's hard to pin it on one thing.

Sdot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't mean offense. Just a certain group of guys that have a history of usage. I'm asking so I don't offer bad advice in the future. I myself never had that issue. Without knowing your setup and getting a backstory, it's hard to pin it on one thing.
Sorry, not offended... i apologize if my response came across curt. I have documented my use of this on a journey with my magnificent sea anemone. I have an entire thread on this.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, not offended... i apologize if my response came across curt. I have documented my use of this on a journey with my magnificent sea anemone. I have an entire thread on this.
Can you link us?

I have personally never experienced this. Cipro often goes hand in hand with h. Mag's. I've dosed mine at whaleshark level ( joking Kind of)

Sdot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you link us?

I have personally never experienced this. Cipro often goes hand in hand with h. Mag's. I've dosed mine at whaleshark level ( joking Kind of)
Of course.. post 167 on that thread is where you can see bleaching

Last edited:

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Of course

Read through the first page so far and had a question. When acclimating, did you leave the water in the bag and drip into it?

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When shipping this isn't a good practice. Ammonia is kept at bay but rises once air reaches the trapped water. Possible there was an ammonia spike that sent you down the path. Matching temp, salinity and transferring to clean water rather than dripping works best.

Sdot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When shipping this isn't a good practice. Ammonia is kept at bay but rises once air reaches the trapped water. Possible there was an ammonia spike that sent you down the path. Matching temp, salinity and transferring to clean water rather than dripping works best.
Ive acclimated tons of nems this way... the same could be said about the difference in water chemistry, temp,....etc

Rtaylor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never heard of this happening before.
@Rtaylor @Lost in the Sauce @Eagle_Steve ever witnessed this?
Yes, it usually leads to some bleaching ime. Although it could be the nem is already unhealthy which caused it to bleach and not actually the cipro. So I can definitely say I’ve seen correlation can’t be certain there is causation.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 37 43.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 23.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 30.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.4%
Back