Will Flux Rx harm a sea hare?

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not Brandon but ill give you an answer - its immoral, and impractical, and not in the best interest of society to use an antibiotic / anti fungal (that is used in humans) - to kill an algae that could be controlled without it.
“Immoral & impractical”

Not knowing @MnFish1 specific point, I will address indiscriminate use of medications for short term eradications of symptoms with particular emphases of using antibiotic/anti fungal medications causing said microbes to develop immunity: it’s unwise and very short sighted.

Last edited:

PeterErc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_2017.gif

PeterErc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my post I meant to say 'in my opinion', and it is just my opinon:).. I never said I had 'no issues taking living animals, fish, etc, from their natural habitats, etc", let alone "subjecting them to all kinds of torture, disease and death?"

I do not have a problem using praziquantel or copper since if correctly used there is no risk. I would not personally use cipro. The reason I don't have a problem with treating disease in fish is obvious.

There is a possibility of resistance forming in fungi to an anti fungal (fluconazole)) which is used to treat human disease. For that reason I would not use it.
What’s your take on Oodinium? No drug resistance going on there? Read the homepage, everyday people are posting about fish deaths.

I don’t know. Fluconazole was the only thing that had ever worked on bryopsis besides removal from the system. I ended up taking all the rock from my display, bleach and acid bath. Flucanazole did not work on the turf algae and herbivores did not consume it.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What’s your take on Oodinium? No drug resistance going on there? Read the homepage, everyday people are posting about fish deaths.

I don’t know. Fluconazole was the only thing that had ever worked on bryopsis besides removal from the system. I ended up taking all the rock from my display, bleach and acid bath. Flucanazole did not work on the turf algae and herbivores did not consume it.
I said copper to treat a fish disease is fine. As far as I know, they don't use copper to treat human disease? So I don't get your point

PeterErc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I said copper to treat a fish disease is fine. As far as I know, they don't use copper to treat human disease? So I don't get your point
I'm not Brandon but ill give you an answer - its immoral, and impractical, and not in the best interest of society to use an antibiotic / anti fungal (that is used in humans) - to kill an algae that could be controlled without it.
In my post I meant to say 'in my opinion', and it is just my opinon:).. I never said I had 'no issues taking living animals, fish, etc, from their natural habitats, etc", let alone "subjecting them to all kinds of torture, disease and death?"

I do not have a problem using praziquantel or copper since if correctly used there is no risk. I would not personally use cipro. The reason I don't have a problem with treating disease in fish is obvious.

There is a possibility of resistance forming in fungi to an anti fungal (fluconazole)) which is used to treat human disease. For that reason I would not use it.
my point is that I could not control the algae “practically and morally”. How would you suggest the algae be successfully eradicated that fish or cleanup crew did not consume.

Is it practical and moral to treat fish with medication?
Fish disease has not become resistant? Surely the disease could have been controlled without it.

It’s like it is okay to do this, but don’t do that.

I understand the drug resistance and that won’t become proven until it is too late.

Did you see my first post before the one you replied to? I was sharing my experience on how Flucanazole did not work for me nor did cleanup crew.

Peroxide treatment out of tank kills the algae.
Brandon429 has many threads on using H2O2 to control algae and I tagged him to see if he had any info that could help the OP.

Is your sea hare eating it? If it is this I believe it is Chlorodemsis. Fox face , scopas, tuxedo and variegated urchins don’t eat it. Hermits and turbo snails may but would count on it. Cropped short to the rock it may get grazed but not sure. Manual removal near impossible to get it all. Flucanazole didn’t dent it, grew faster from nutrients of other algae die off.

Peroxide 3% injected into the algae in tank with flow off, didn’t kill it. Lanthanum chloride injection didn’t kill it.

I had broken down the tank to start over. Had invasive encrusting sponge, aptasia and other crud on rock. Removed rock and set in bleach bath waiting to hit it with acid. I stumbled upon some dry rock for a good price and took the easy route. Guy said it was covered in algae so he bleached it. Rock looked pretty clean enough to use. In the meantime from stirring the sand bed, cleaning out the over flows, dosing lanthanum etc etc.. The tank ended up with Dino’s. So dosing nitrate , silica, no water changes, no skimmer, you get the idea. There was some bryopsis in there as well and figured Flucanazole would clean it up.

So in a bleach solution, the tuffs of the algae turn white and slimy on the top. While underneath stays green. Clean off the slime to expose the green. The same, turns white and slimes up covering itself. Four days in bleach, acid wash, back in bleach, still green. Peroxide 3% sprayed on then into peroxide wash and scrubbed. If this crap comes back after that I am gonna find a new hobby lol.

There was some rock I left in the tank as well as frags that had the crud growing in it. Removal from water and straight 3% peroxide on the spots took care of it. They’re still some growing on overflows and glass that needs manual removal as nothing is eating it. This week hope to get rock back in tank. Will run Flucanazole after reset for safe measures.

If it was me knowing what I know now and it’s not that bad, I would remove the rocks and treat them with peroxide

Hope this helps and someone can chime in with a better alternative.

IMG_1986.jpeg

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
my point is that I could not control the algae “practically and morally”. How would you suggest the algae be successfully eradicated that fish or cleanup crew did not consume.

Is it practical and moral to treat fish with medication?
Fish disease has not become resistant? Surely the disease could have been controlled without it.

It’s like it is okay to do this, but don’t do that.

I understand the drug resistance and that won’t become proven until it is too late.

Did you see my first post before the one you replied to? I was sharing my experience on how Flucanazole did not work for me nor did cleanup crew.

Peroxide treatment out of tank kills the algae.
Brandon429 has many threads on using H2O2 to control algae and I tagged him to see if he had any info that could help the OP.
I have read probably all of the peroxide threads - I have no objection to taking rocks out and cleaning them.

I was responding to the thread - as compared to anything else. The thread is about 'fluconazole and sea hares'.

The issue is not treating disease in fish, (or invertebrates, etc). It's about using a medication used in humans to eradicate a pest algae. So - my comment was merely 'I don't agree with it'. As to the sea hare - Since I said I wouldn't use fluconazole that covered that issue - however to be specific, I would not necessarily use fluconazole since they are so delicate.

PeterErc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bleach, acid, H2O2.

Now all I gotta do is dose some red slime remover to get rid of the little bit of cyano on the glass. J/K

trim.CBB55879-8CD0-42E7-AAED-DC173C3D9BA6.gif

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Bleach, acid, H2O2.

Now all I gotta do is dose some red slime remover to get rid of the little bit of cyano on the glass. J/K

trim.CBB55879-8CD0-42E7-AAED-DC173C3D9BA6.gif
My philosophy - if you have bare area with light on it, something is going to grow. I tended to buy larger corals - that rapidly covered any open rock to avoid algae. Those pieces now have become prohibitively expensive (Unfortunately). You have a nice tank and nice fish. I would consider moving all of your frags (unless they are brand new - off the sand and onto the rock:). Thanks for the interesting discussion

PeterErc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My philosophy - if you have bare area with light on it, something is going to grow. I tended to buy larger corals - that rapidly covered any open rock to avoid algae. Those pieces now have become prohibitively expensive (Unfortunately). You have a nice tank and nice fish. I would consider moving all of your frags (unless they are brand new - off the sand and onto the rock:). Thanks for the interesting discussion
I am trying something new to me. I have been dosing silicate prior to the tear down due to Dino’s. Hoping maybe a film of diatoms on the rock will be beneficial, plus I have enough coralline already to seed the rock.

The large coral days are no longer, 30$ colonies are a thing of the past. I going to fill the rock up with acropora frags. A lot of the frags on the sand are zoas, chalice, Montipora etc that I don’t want on the rock as they can be invasive.

I did an all dry rock tank in the past, seeded it with coralline. Didn’t have any issues until introduced bryopsis. That was before Flucanazole was a thing.

This tank has a mature sand bed and left a few pieces of clean LR in the sump.

Interesting discussion as well, and we did a good job hijacking OP’s . Hope their algae issue is getting better.

Here’s the previous dry rock run

19260284590_046bebe639_o.jpg

28479121893_2a0e236254_o.jpg

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm trying to eliminate hair algea, as it's effecting some of my coral. My parameters aren't crazy. I realize some of this is a false reading due to the algae taking care of my nitrates/phos.
Was considering dosing flux but I have a sea hare. Heard this can effect inverts. Anyone have experience?
Parameters are
N04 5ppm
Phos 0
Alk 8.6
Calc 450
Mag 1450
I just use the sea hare for algae control

OP
OP
R

ratzy82

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update to the sea hare. After being in the tank for about a week it died. I borrowed it from a friend, so it likely wasn't well before it went int the tank. It had plenty of algea to eat. I acclimated it for about an hour and a half. Not sure. Since the algea is taking over now and irritating my coral I'm going to have to pull out as much as I can and do a flux rx treatment. Water changes, algea scrubber, smaller feedings are not putting a dent in this. In hindsight, I probably should have bleached the rock when I set up the tank. It was a used setup and the previous owner had kept the rocks in water to keep the bacteria going. I have in turn inherited all his issues. Lesson learned I suppose.

PeterErc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update to the sea hare. After being in the tank for about a week it died. I borrowed it from a friend, so it likely wasn't well before it went int the tank. It had plenty of algea to eat. I acclimated it for about an hour and a half. Not sure. Since the algea is taking over now and irritating my coral I'm going to have to pull out as much as I can and do a flux rx treatment. Water changes, algea scrubber, smaller feedings are not putting a dent in this. In hindsight, I probably should have bleached the rock when I set up the tank. It was a used setup and the previous owner had kept the rocks in water to keep the bacteria going. I have in turn inherited all his issues. Lesson learned I suppose.
Can you easily remove rocks without upsetting the whole tank? Spot treatment with peroxide will help knock the crud down and hopefully the fluconazole will knock out the rest. Be careful with peroxide on coral as it can cause damage/death to some

Just thoughts

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had similar luck with a sea hare twice. Do you have a picture of the tank under whites so we can see exactly what your dealing with?
I used flux for gha once and ended up with cyano that was much worse than the gha.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The large coral days are no longer, 30$ colonies are a thing of the past. I going to fill the rock up with acropora frags. A lot of the frags on the sand are zoas, chalice, Montipora etc that I don’t want on the rock as they can be invasive.
Correct!! Even when I was buying colonies - I usually bought several at a time - so I could get a discount, but it was in the hundreds of dollars (the cost of the coral)

OP
OP
R

ratzy82

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you easily remove rocks without upsetting the whole tank? Spot treatment with peroxide will help knock the crud down and hopefully the fluconazole will knock out the rest. Be careful with peroxide on coral as it can cause damage/death to some

Just thoughts
I really don’t want to tear my tank apart if at all possible. Some of the corals have encrusted so that wouldn’t be ideal

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 36 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 29 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 131 58.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 7.1%
Back