Will Gobies work with tangs

Mathew0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone see an issue with adding a Hector's and a Rainford's Goby to the tank with a scopas tang and a powder blue tang?
It’s a 125 gal. There’s also a clown pair and 3 PJs.
Also, will the gobies eat nori if they run out of algae?

HankstankXXL750

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I don’t see a problem. Tangs are most aggressive to same shaped fish. I have yellow watchman, diamond, fire fish, blue spot, plus canary, bi-color, Midas, starry, and lawnmower blennies with my tangs in a 110,210,&75.

HankstankXXL750

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
As far as algae mine are doing fine and there isn’t visible algae in the tanks. With good clean up crew. I do feed nori and do see them around it at times. Can also feed algae wafers if you think they aren’t getting enough.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those fish should not be any issues with the tangs, I’m not sure what to expect between the two gobies. My understanding is that they would prefer meaty food (pods, little shrimps, etc) before algae. I don’t think they would eat 2 bites of Nori, one and done.

OP
OP
Mathew0

Mathew0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting. The podcasts and descriptions say they are almost strictly algae eaters. Of course, the same was said about the Foxface, but I surprised to see him going to town when I was feeding the clowns and PJs.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting. The podcasts and descriptions say they are almost strictly algae eaters. Of course, the same was said about the Foxface, but I surprised to see him going to town when I was feeding the clowns and PJs.
If mine ever resurface again I'll ask them... :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:

HankstankXXL750

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I do not know about the ones you listed as I personally don’t have them. However, I don’t believe most gobies are herbivores. Maybe omnivores, definitely the ones I have eat meaty foods, the sand sifters are consuming pods, detritus, and left over foods. So I can’t tell you for sure without looking.

Your fox face like tangs are omnivores. They need a source like algae or nori to pick at throughout the day. But they definitely will eat frozen meaty foods as well.

I feed a mix of mysis, Spirulina brine and brine. The Spirulina enhanced brine supply good nutrition to your herbivore/omnivore fish.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back