Will gravity damage my Kenya tree?

sujcab111

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I glued my Kenya tree in a position where there seems to be to much weight from gravity for it to handle. I just got it and I’m wondering if it will start reaching toward my lights and fix itself? Or should I fix it now? It’s just in a good spot so I’d rather not move it. Btw in the pics I had just turned the light on so it’s not as perked up as when I first got it.

88A95A41-E46E-42EB-B478-A23BE3A4BCCB.jpeg FDBF76B9-07C3-450C-9C43-BE9322A921D2.jpeg

coralfishreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it’s base is attached to a frag plug or rock then it should right itself to face the light. If you glued the skin then it will probably be on the sand bed in the morning ;)

Upvote 0

sp1187

bird flu antidote
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it’s base is attached to a frag plug or rock then it should right itself to face the light. If you glued the skin then it will probably be on the sand bed in the morning ;)
yea, I made the assumption it was attached to a plug.

Upvote 0

Sump Crab

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kenya tree are an incredibly resilient coral. It will be fine as long as your tank is a happy place for it to be. Before too long you will be constantly pulling its babies off rocks and trading them into the LFS for credit!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
sujcab111

sujcab111

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s glued by the plug (well.. it’s attached to a small jagged rock not a plug ). But it’s not glued by the skin. Something I did forget to mention is that while securing it in place, some glue pushed out and got on a small area the base of the coral. But it isn’t directly glued to my live rock by the skin.

Upvote 0

coralfishreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The glue won’t hurt the coral. Leather corals slime and shed which makes it hard to glue them directly.

Upvote 0

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kenya trees will thrive even with extra gravity and as others have mentioned and yours should do fine. IF the light and other chemical and temperature parameters in your tank are satisfactory it will probably start visibly growing after 3 or 4 weeks of getting acclimated to its new home.

Upvote 0

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I glued my Kenya tree in a position where there seems to be to much weight from gravity for it to handle. I just got it and I’m wondering if it will start reaching toward my lights and fix itself? Or should I fix it now? It’s just in a good spot so I’d rather not move it. Btw in the pics I had just turned the light on so it’s not as perked up as when I first got it.

88A95A41-E46E-42EB-B478-A23BE3A4BCCB.jpeg FDBF76B9-07C3-450C-9C43-BE9322A921D2.jpeg
'Gravity ' will not affect this beast....it will sulk for a day or two, then perk up for a few then sulk again, all the while spreading offshoots throughout your tank. I have one, sometimes 12....you literally can't kill it. Patience and watch it go through these cycles....

Upvote 0

yoelf

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what I remember kenya trees "folding/bending" are pretty common and natural with them they do this occasionally for a bit and erect itself in a day or two but that's typically when they are mounted upright.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
sujcab111

sujcab111

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what I remember kenya trees "folding/bending" are pretty common and natural with them they do this occasionally for a bit and erect itself in a day or two but that's typically when they are mounted upright.
So update for a few weeks later: it’s still not fully bloomed. (Extended) some might say lol. Buuut yeah it’s shedding a lot of goo.. maybe it’s even skin? I don’t know.. limbs and polyps will extend partially extend for a few hours and then close up completely. Idk man I don’t know what’s going on.

Upvote 0

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 40.1%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 31 21.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 34.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back