Will this plan for AEFW work?

Ghost25

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have acropora eating flatworms. I have 8 acroporas, luckily they are all frags under 2". My current plan is to dip them in tank water with 4g/L KCl for 10 mins every 5 days for a month. I don't have a second tank, and getting one isn't feasible. The KCl dip definitely kills the adult flatworms but is this plan doomed to fail of they lay eggs on the rock or other corals? I would imagine they would eventually be starved but I don't know how tenacious they are.

I also have some Anacropora, but my assumption is they wont touch that. I have some flatworm exit I bought a long time ago, but I'm hesitant to use it since I've heard it has crashed whole tanks.

PeterErc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Revive, not familiar withKCI. I would dip once a week for two months. The eggs will hatch and you will see the AEFW in the dip, if you are seeing FW at the two month mark, continue with the regimen. Dipping weekly will be less stress on the coral. It’s been a while but I though Anacropora we’re not safe from FW. Make sure to baste of stir the corals in the dip to dislodge the FW. It’s not the end of the world and you can get rid of them. I would recommend a quarantine tank, when the SPS get grown out it won’t be as easy

Jdadams

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m in the same boat. I have about 10 or acro frags in a 20gal and I’m doing a bayer dip weekly. Make sure to inspect for eggs around the base of the frag and scrape those off.

eraser2001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
KCL will do the work. Like PeterErc recommended, dip every week for two months. Don't introduce any sps until you don't see any flatworm

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will take a couple months, weekly. KCl is the trick. 1 tablespoon per gallon tank water.

If you have a lens with LED look for eggs and remove. Otherwise use a stiff brush on anything that is NOT live flesh. Be aggressive.

Back