Wilson the Scorpaena Brasiliensis

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
P. paludosus are actually an euryhaline species and will adapt to a range of salinity all the way to full salt. There have been some living in my tessa grow out tank for about 2 months now, since the tessa got bored of eating them.
I wondered about that, but the only info I could find was that they could survive for over 24hr in full marine salinity. Good to know!

OP
OP
A

AngiGiles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright, can you share a video of you hand feeding?? We're having less than zero luck getting Mr Wilson to eat a live molly. Do we let him hunt for a while?? Do we coral the molly? We're trying a net and a tube to head the molly in his direction but it just doesn't seem to be working and truthfully, we have no idea what we're doing haha

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright, can you share a video of you hand feeding?? We're having less than zero luck getting Mr Wilson to eat a live molly. Do we let him hunt for a while?? Do we coral the molly? We're trying a net and a tube to head the molly in his direction but it just doesn't seem to be working and truthfully, we have no idea what we're doing haha

Has it been overnight yet, they do their best hunting after dark. Sometimes you'll get a molly that will figure it out and stay at the top, but most times, the scorp will just wait and the molly will come come into range. They are vey patient, you will watch him ever so slightly mauever himself in position, he watches his prey and calculates what position he needs to be in.

This is fine as he is the only one in the tank, but when you are feeding multiples, you need to make sure everyone eats. It does take a special touch, so practice up on herding for when there are others in the tank,

I'm not the best video Grapher, but I'll try when I get time.

OP
OP
A

AngiGiles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has it been overnight yet, they do their best hunting after dark. Sometimes you'll get a molly that will figure it out and stay at the top, but most times, the scorp will just wait and the molly will come come into range. They are vey patient, you will watch him ever so slightly mauever himself in position, he watches his prey and calculates what position he needs to be in.

This is fine as he is the only one in the tank, but when you are feeding multiples, you need to make sure everyone eats. It does take a special touch, so practice up on herding for when there are others in the tank,

I'm not the best video Grapher, but I'll try when I get time.
It probably took 30min or so of herding the molly, but Wilson was so cool! I wish I could have gotten a video, but he scaled the whole rock and ended up on the sand and caught it after several failed attempts. I didn't realize you could leave the molly overnight! He's been swimming up in the current and grabbing the tongs.. I mean, is he still starving? Or just a massive glutton?

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It probably took 30min or so of herding the molly, but Wilson was so cool! I wish I could have gotten a video, but he scaled the whole rock and ended up on the sand and caught it after several failed attempts. I didn't realize you could leave the molly overnight! He's been swimming up in the current and grabbing the tongs.. I mean, is he still starving? Or just a massive glutton?

He is a glutton and will always act like he is starving. On feeding night it is ok to feed him until you see a nice little bulge in his belly. As long as you are not feeding too large of items the danger of overfeeding is slim. The danger is more about feeding too often. If the mollies are small. a couple is not out of the question, They do eat alot at each feeding, so don't be shy. Is he growing. at this size you should see marked growth if he's getting enough to eat.

OP
OP
A

AngiGiles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He is a glutton and will always act like he is starving. On feeding night it is ok to feed him until you see a nice little bulge in his belly. As long as you are not feeding too large of items the danger of overfeeding is slim. The danger is more about feeding too often. If the mollies are small. a couple is not out of the question, They do eat alot at each feeding, so don't be shy. Is he growing. at this size you should see marked growth if he's getting enough to eat.
I think maybe we need to offer more at feedings. He certainly let's us know when he doesn't want any more, but I'm not sure if I'm noticing much growth and he still looks entirely too skinny (to someone who has literally never seen another scorp haha).

OP
OP
A

AngiGiles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well he can definitely eat more than we were giving him! Gonna feed mon, Wed, and Friday only. He ate a krill, 1/3 silverside and a med molly overnight last night. He swims right in the current to get the dead food from the tongs. I want to get him some different stuff as well. Does this sound like good feeding? He definitely had a tummy bulge this morning haha

OP
OP
A

AngiGiles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He's filling out a bit now, he changes colors all the time. Seems to be settling in to the new tank well. Swims way up to the top to take anything we offer from the tongs.
20221030_233021.jpg

Been walking the front of the tank
20221101_011213.jpg

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He's filling out a bit now, he changes colors all the time. Seems to be settling in to the new tank well. Swims way up to the top to take anything we offer from the tongs.
20221030_233021.jpg

20221101_011213.jpg

Time for friend?

kinetic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20221030_233021.jpg

20221101_011213.jpg

Such a cool fish =)

Any ideas what you would do if you had to be away from home for an extended amount of time? Have someone come by to feed?

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Such a cool fish =)

Any ideas what you would do if you had to be away from home for an extended amount of time? Have someone come by to feed?

How long are talking about, a week I wouldn't worry. If longer give explicit instructions as to how many ghosties or mollies to drop in. Then he just hunts on his own. Having others feed these guys is a challenge, have the person responsible watch you feed.

OP
OP
A

AngiGiles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What would happen if an adult pj cardinl was added to the tank with Mr Wilson?? I don't believe he could eat it, yet at least? And what about with any of the dwarf lions? I have a trio of the cardinals and I have 2 boys and a girl (fairly sure) and want to move the bully out, wondering if this is an option? I couldn't move it back again I'm sure, so I thought I better ask.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What would happen if an adult pj cardinl was added to the tank with Mr Wilson?? I don't believe he could eat it, yet at least? And what about with any of the dwarf lions? I have a trio of the cardinals and I have 2 boys and a girl (fairly sure) and want to move the bully out, wondering if this is an option? I couldn't move it back again I'm sure, so I thought I better ask.

Eventually food, Mr Wilson can eat something much larger than you think, and cardinals are sitting ducks. Any fish that is about half their size can be eaten, it could be immediately, or even in a year. I've watched my scorps and lions stalk out sleeping spots to ambush and eat fish way bigger than I thought possible. Here's a pic of one of my S. brasiliensis with the tail of molly sticking out of his mouth, that molly was about 2/3rds his size and meant for the rhino, that little rascal was a beast.

1667750934234.png

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 42 39.6%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 12 11.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 32 30.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 18 17.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.9%
Back