OP
OP
A

AngiGiles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Boost mg up to 1600ppm. I like doing it at 100ppm intervals until I reach 1600. Mg may help with digestion, I wrote a thread "Why mg". I documented bloated predators where I boosted mg and showed pics of actually bowel movements. Fish like anglers and scorps actually poop like a dog turd, so you may even see it laying around the substrate.
I added some Epsom salt, will test in a bit to see where I'm at. I have added coral recently, but 1600 shouldn't be too much for them? Just some favia, chalice, and a couple gorgs.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added some Epsom salt, will test in a bit to see where I'm at. I have added coral recently, but 1600 shouldn't be too much for them? Just some favia, chalice, and a couple gorgs.

I hate using epsom salt, the active ingredient in epsom salt is mg, and using just pure reef mg is much safer. Epsom salt contains other ingredients which are unknown to their safety using with aquarium fish. People are naive to think just because their fish don't immediately drop dead, that there isn't some damage being done. Epsom salt is also used as a fertilizer, so don't be surprised if you get an algae burst. There is no test for dosing epsom salt, I believe you don't dose what you can't test for, how do you know.

OP
OP
A

AngiGiles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hate using epsom salt, the active ingredient in epsom salt is mg, and using just pure reef mg is much safer. Epsom salt contains other ingredients which are unknown to their safety using with aquarium fish. People are naive to think just because their fish don't immediately drop dead, that there isn't some damage being done. Epsom salt is also used as a fertilizer, so don't be surprised if you get an algae burst.
Ooff, ok, well that sucks, I had no idea. I've used it in freshwater with bloated fish without issue, and read it was reef safe so I thought I was good. I don't have any other form of mag on hand, I'll have to get some ordered.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ooff, ok, well that sucks, I had no idea. I've used it in freshwater with bloated fish without issue, and read it was reef safe so I thought I was good. I don't have any other form of mag on hand, I'll have to get some ordered.

I'm a purist so don't follow me, Im a nut.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 49 40.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 15 12.4%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 33 27.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 22 18.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.7%
Back