OP
OP
A

AngiGiles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just curious, the 29 is almost ready to go, checking it and doing a waterchange on Sunday if we're good. But can Wilson have any tank mates in a 29g? We already have the 72g bowfront that they'll all be living in when they grow up. If we found same/similar sized dwarf living and a smaller eel, could either of them be in there with him? He just seems so small haha

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just curious, the 29 is almost ready to go, checking it and doing a waterchange on Sunday if we're good. But can Wilson have any tank mates in a 29g? We already have the 72g bowfront that they'll all be living in when they grow up. If we found same/similar sized dwarf living and a smaller eel, could either of them be in there with him? He just seems so small haha

Yes you can use the 29g to also grow up a dwarf lion and snowflake eel. There should be no problem but just make sure to size appropriately. Dwarf lions will likely be more challenging feeding, so take the same approach you did with Wilson.

OP
OP
A

AngiGiles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes you can use the 29g to also grow up a dwarf lion and snowflake eel. There should be no problem but just make sure to size appropriately. Dwarf lions will likely be more challenging feeding, so take the same approach you did with Wilson.
I think we're planning a black ribbon eel.anf when you say treat the same, will the lion need to go in the acclimation box for a while? Or you mean with the feeding regularly then every other day?

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think we're planning a black ribbon eel.anf when you say treat the same, will the lion need to go in the acclimation box for a while? Or you mean with the feeding regularly then every other day?

A black ribbon eel will need at least a 6' tank, they are very active and will get to about 3'; as well as being one of the most challenging to feed.

The feeding schedule for the dwarf lion will be the same, and they are usually more difficult to take any dead food. I recommend an observation tank because of their tendency to come in with internal parasites. You could put him in with the scorp as they will be eating the same foods, but keep a very watchful eye for internal parasites. If not eating live food almost immediately, I've actually had them eating in the bag floating, there's a good chance they have internal parasites and treatment would be necessary. Not being in an observation tank alone, it would make it more complicated, not impossible, just complicated.

OP
OP
A

AngiGiles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A black ribbon eel will need at least a 6' tank, they are very active and will get to about 3'; as well as being one of the most challenging to feed.

The feeding schedule for the dwarf lion will be the same, and they are usually more difficult to take any dead food. I recommend an observation tank because of their tendency to come in with internal parasites. You could put him in with the scorp as they will be eating the same foods, but keep a very watchful eye for internal parasites. If not eating live food almost immediately, I've actually had them eating in the bag floating, there's a good chance they have internal parasites and treatment would be necessary. Not being in an observation tank alone, it would make it more complicated, not impossible, just complicated.
Thanks for the info and the read about your ribbon, that is most definitely not what Google says ANYWHERE 55g and 4ft is all they need ugh glad I asked. So when it comes to eels, is a snowflake the only one suitable for a 72g?

Also, (sorry there just isn't much to find to read about scorps) what would the stocking be like for a 72g bow? Would an eel, Wilson, and a dwarf lion be the only 3 I could have? Could I have more than 1 of any of those? I read some stuff about different dwarf lions together just not the same type? Does the same apply to scorps?

Another question about the mollies, should I be transitioning them to saltwater to breed and live in? My thought was so that they live long enough to get eaten.. is this necessary? Cuz imma say the first batch did not go well haha

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is not necessary to convert ghosties or mollies to saltwater, or any acclimation, you will be feeding on demand, so they are pretty much gone as soon as they hit the water. Just for some fun info, ghosties are an estuarine species and lives in fresh, brackish, and salt water. There are ghosties in my tessa grow out tank that have been there for over a month, straight from fresh to salt. Mollies do best in a brackish tank, 1.010-1.013. Feed on demand, they could just as easily live indefinitely with no acclimation.

You really should read through some of my threads.

Here's my current pride with a rhinopias frondosa. Scorps you can look into is the rhinopias, yellow spotted, leaf scorp. Be aware it takes effort and tricks to feed multiple predators eating live food, and as they grow, it can get expensive, and there is no guarantee you will get them all taking the proper dead foods. Breeding mollies only works when they are small, unless you are good and able to grow out volume, you also need to separate babies or they will be eaten, and growing them up takes time and expense. At the size of my preds I found it more cost effective to buy grown mollies, I spend $180 month to feed the tank in this photo, 600 ghosties and 50 mollies. Wilson will end up eating about 20-30 ghosties and 2-4 mollies a week, roughly; a dwarf lion will eat more.

1665275580280.png

OP
OP
A

AngiGiles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is not necessary to convert ghosties or mollies to saltwater, or any acclimation, you will be feeding on demand, so they are pretty much gone as soon as they hit the water. Just for some fun info, ghosties are an estuarine species and lives in fresh, brackish, and salt water. There are ghosties in my tessa grow out tank that have been there for over a month, straight from fresh to salt. Mollies do best in a brackish tank, 1.010-1.013. Feed on demand, they could just as easily live indefinitely with no acclimation.

You really should read through some of my threads.

Here's my current pride with a rhinopias frondosa. Scorps you can look into is the rhinopias, yellow spotted, leaf scorp. Be aware it takes effort and tricks to feed multiple predators eating live food, and as they grow, it can get expensive, and there is no guarantee you will get them all taking the proper dead foods. Breeding mollies only works when they are small, unless you are good and able to grow out volume, you also need to separate babies or they will be eaten, and growing them up takes time and expense. At the size of my preds I found it more cost effective to buy grown mollies, I spend $180 month to feed the tank in this photo, 600 ghosties and 50 mollies. Wilson will end up eating about 20-30 ghosties and 2-4 mollies a week, roughly; a dwarf lion will eat more.

1665275580280.png
I have read a lot of your threads! Why do you think I keep asking you all the questions?! Haha you're doing exactly what we want to do!! As for the raising mollies and whatnot, we're good there. I come from about 30yrs fresh experience, we had 14 tanks set up at 1 point, only 5 now (3 salt and 2 fresh for feeders) lol I am absolutely captivated by these strange fishes! I just can't seem to get enough information about them!

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have read a lot of your threads! Why do you think I keep asking you all the questions?! Haha you're doing exactly what we want to do!! As for the raising mollies and whatnot, we're good there. I come from about 30yrs fresh experience, we had 14 tanks set up at 1 point, only 5 now (3 salt and 2 fresh for feeders) lol I am absolutely captivated by these strange fishes! I just can't seem to get enough information about them!

I couldn't manage the whole breeding thing. The other thing that gets dicey when feeding live, is changes in supply. The hurricane just devastated my supply line. Some of my beast will take "some" dead food, some won't take any at all. My zebra still freaks about eating fish, will not take any dead, only eats ghosties. My ghostie supply will not have any next week, so I had to buy a huge supply on transport day, lost half of them. Yeah they don't travel well, always give it a day before buying them. My molly supply came from elsewhere and I lost 11 out of 50. So this was a bad week and next week will be challenging.

Most scorps like to work the sandbed so be aware of that when stocking. While the leaf fish(taenianotus triacanthus)
mostly works the sandbed, I had one that liked heights, they can live in groups. They are a Hawaiian fish so I'm not sure how available they are right now. The yellow spotted scorp can also live in groups, and mostly likes to perch up on rocks. Just plan out everyone's home, making room for each type in their desired territory; caves, perches, rock crevices, sandbed, etc. There's also the cockatoo waspfish, works the sandbed and a slow striker. Wilson is going to be a fast, gluttonous predator, and so are the fuzzies; those 2 are royal pita's in a group tank. There are different tricks and methods to get everyone food, you can ask me about that when you get there. Check out the last pic, that rascal would climb all over the rhino and steal his food, once I thought he was going to die when he ate a molly almost close to his own size. The tail was actually sticking out of his mouth and it took him a while to suck it all down.

I'm just highlighting ones that I have seen around, you may stumble across ones that are not usual, I don't say common because scorp lovers are far and few between, you really don't see them regularly. When you do see one you don't recognize, do your own research because lfs are known to misidentify. Sizes listed will be max size and they usually reach about 2/3rds of that listed sized, max. With exception, I have kept dwarf lions get to their max size, be mindful that was after several years. Understand sizes when grown out so you don't have anyone potentially eating another. All the ones I've highlighted will be compatible in size, just make sure to initially properly size.

1665280404476.png

1665280481288.png

1665280588863.png

1665280657263.png

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

AngiGiles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I couldn't manage the whole breeding thing. The other thing that gets dicey when feeding live, is changes in supply. The hurricane just devastated my supply line. Some of my beast will take "some" dead food, some won't take any at all. My zebra still freaks about eating fish, will not take any dead, only eats ghosties. My ghostie supply will not have any next week, so I had to buy a huge supply on transport day, lost half of them. Yeah they don't travel well, always give it a day before buying them. My molly supply came from elsewhere and I lost 11 out of 50. So this was a bad week and next week will be challenging.

Most scorps like to work the sandbed so be aware of that when stocking. While the leaf fish(taenianotus triacanthus)
mostly works the sandbed, I had one that liked heights, they can live in groups. They are a Hawaiian fish so I'm not sure how available they are right now. The yellow spotted scorp can also live in groups, and mostly likes to perch up on rocks. Just plan out everyone's home, making room for each type in their desired territory; caves, perches, rock crevices, sandbed, etc. There's also the cockatoo waspfish, works the sandbed and a slow striker. Wilson is going to be a fast, gluttonous predator, and so are the fuzzies; those 2 are royal pita's in a group tank. There are different tricks and methods to get everyone food, you can ask me about that when you get there. Check out the last pic, that rascal would climb all over the rhino and steal his food, once I thought he was going to die when he ate a molly almost close to his own size. The tail was actually sticking out of his mouth and it took him a while to suck it all down.

I'm just highlighting ones that I have seen around, you may stumble across ones that are not usual, I don't say common because scorp lovers are far and few between, you really don't see them regularly. When you do see one you don't recognize, do your own research because lfs are known to misidentify. Sizes listed will be max size and they usually reach about 2/3rds of that listed sized, max. With exception, I have kept dwarf lions get to their max size, be mindful that was after several years. Understand sizes when grown out so you don't have anyone potentially eating another. All the ones I've highlighted will be compatible in size, just make sure to initially properly size.

1665280404476.png

1665280481288.png

1665280588863.png

1665280657263.png
Thank you for all the information!! That rhino is very interesting! Might have to watch out for one of those as well! And I see a flame hawk too which is on our wish list too! Just picked up another bunch of mollies, all sizes.. but can't seem to find any ghosties which is kinda worrisome. So 2 tanks of mollies will have to do for now. I will definitely be doing some more research, it's all I do actually haha read and more reading. Still had a little ammonia (.5) last night about 30min after adding the canister filter.. gonna test here in a bit and see what it looks like. Just can't hardly wait to release him!

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for all the information!! That rhino is very interesting! Might have to watch out for one of those as well! And I see a flame hawk too which is on our wish list too! Just picked up another bunch of mollies, all sizes.. but can't seem to find any ghosties which is kinda worrisome. So 2 tanks of mollies will have to do for now. I will definitely be doing some more research, it's all I do actually haha read and more reading. Still had a little ammonia (.5) last night about 30min after adding the canister filter.. gonna test here in a bit and see what it looks like. Just can't hardly wait to release him!

The flame hawk might be lunch for a large dwarf lion, or even a full grown Wilson. The one I have is in my little pred tank, 3 pygmy red rooster waspfish and previously a leaf fish, they have small mouths and are a bit more challenging to feed. Same with the cockatoo waspfish I previouysly mentioned, they get to a good medium size but have small mouths and are more challenging to feed, especially with faster more aggressive eaters in the tank. My flame hunts with the waspfish and eats live guppies and ghosties, mostly frozen though..

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

OP
OP
A

AngiGiles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha well I'm new, that's all I got, but my Wilson update was supposed to be in here! I feel dumb. So I'll add here as well in case anyone's following along. Wilson finally made it to his new 29g! He looks super tiny in there but I think he's happy. I could be imagining it but I SWEAR he sits up straighter when I bend down to look at him! I like to think he's happy!

Attachments

• 20221010_233403.jpg
    20221010_233403.jpg
    168.8 KB · Views: 18
  • 20221010_233421.jpg
    20221010_233421.jpg
    139.1 KB · Views: 26
  • 20221013_123701.jpg
    20221013_123701.jpg
    142.3 KB · Views: 23
OP
OP
A

AngiGiles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, if you've been following along, I was "allowed" to have 1 tank for breeding ghosties.. within a day the hubby was convinced we needed 2 tanks for mollies as well, well I explained how the weather could really mess up us being able to get food for "his" Wilson, I came home last night to a newly built shelf to hold the 40breeder that's the new molly home, co2, live plants, all of it! He helped me get it all set up and them transfered over til 3am! I really did get one of the good ones ❤️ if we ever find some ghosties I'm sure we'll get them a tank set up somewhere as well!

Attachments

• 20221013_123214.jpg
    20221013_123214.jpg
    208.6 KB · Views: 30

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha well I'm new, that's all I got, but my Wilson update was supposed to be in here! I feel dumb. So I'll add here as well in case anyone's following along. Wilson finally made it to his new 29g! He looks super tiny in there but I think he's happy. I could be imagining it but I SWEAR he sits up straighter when I bend down to look at him! I like to think he's happy!

I told you they were very interactive, he will eventually recognize you, and if you are his favorite human, your husband is going to get jealous(haha). I see your mollies are going to have a good life, if they only knew, but such as nature. Do some research on the whole ghostie breeding thing, from my memory it was very intensive if not impossible for a hobbyist.

OP
OP
A

AngiGiles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I told you they were very interactive, he will eventually recognize you, and if you are his favorite human, your husband is going to get jealous(haha). I see your mollies are going to have a good life, if they only knew, but such as nature. Do some research on the whole ghostie breeding thing, from my memory it was very intensive if not impossible for a hobbyist.
From what I've read ghost shrimp are pretty easy to breed, lots of plants and food 80⁰ hard water. Perhaps you're thinking of Amano? They need their fresh hatched eggs to roll in to saltwater then the larvae swim back up through brackish water.. hard to duplicate in an aquarium. Unless I'm missing something about ghost shrimp. My problem right now is locating them, but I will I'm sure I take breeding things.. all things it seems, as a challenge anyway haha (breeding conure parrots as of late).

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ghost shrimp aren't as bad as many other species to breed, and the links below would probably be helpful for breeding them if you wanted to (the first link is ghost shrimp specific - they prefer brackish water, but you can rear them in full salt too - the second link is a generic guide, though it specifically uses Palaemon elegans for the example as the breeder prefers them to some of the alternatives they've used before):

OP
OP
A

AngiGiles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ghost shrimp aren't as bad as many other species to breed, and the links below would probably be helpful for breeding them if you wanted to (the first link is ghost shrimp specific - they prefer brackish water, but you can rear them in full salt too - the second link is a generic guide, though it specifically uses Palaemon elegans for the example as the breeder prefers them to some of the alternatives they've used before):
Well I read through those and that certainly isn't what I found online haha and that is why I am loving this group! And this hobby! So much to learn!

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what I've read ghost shrimp are pretty easy to breed, lots of plants and food 80⁰ hard water. Perhaps you're thinking of Amano? They need their fresh hatched eggs to roll in to saltwater then the larvae swim back up through brackish water.. hard to duplicate in an aquarium. Unless I'm missing something about ghost shrimp. My problem right now is locating them, but I will I'm sure I take breeding things.. all things it seems, as a challenge anyway haha (breeding conure parrots as of late).

I think you are right, I just didn't do enough research on my own and let others scare me away. The one @ISpeakForTheSeas pointed out are not the ones we commonly get from lfs for feeders. The ones we usually get are Palaemonetes paludosus.

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you are right, I just didn't do enough research on my own and let others scare me away. The one @ISpeakForTheSeas pointed out are not the ones we commonly get from lfs for feeders. The ones we usually get are Palaemonetes paludosus.
Yeah, P. pugio and P. vulgaris are both brackish specimens (these were the ones I’ve found that are commonly reared in full marine salinities) - I actually just looked into P. paludosus because you mentioned the species. Turns out they are a pure freshwater species, and - surprisingly - their larvae don’t need fed at all (they undergo metamorphosis/settlement without needing food), so they’d likely be incredibly easy to rear (and likely a great choice for beginners looking to try raising shrimp):
Thank you for sharing the species name, they were very cool to learn about!

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, P. pugio and P. vulgaris are both brackish specimens (these were the ones I’ve found that are commonly reared in full marine salinities) - I actually just looked into P. paludosus because you mentioned the species. Turns out they are a pure freshwater species, and - surprisingly - their larvae don’t need fed at all (they undergo metamorphosis/settlement without needing food), so they’d likely be incredibly easy to rear (and likely a great choice for beginners looking to try raising shrimp):
Thank you for sharing the species name, they were very cool to learn about!

P. paludosus are actually an euryhaline species and will adapt to a range of salinity all the way to full salt. There have been some living in my tessa grow out tank for about 2 months now, since the tessa got bored of eating them.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 51 40.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 15 12.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 34 27.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 23 18.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.6%
Back