Wipeout of half my fish :/

Oscar’s25Gal

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’ve been running my 25 gal for a bit now (probably 2 months) and about 1 week ago, I brought in a shrimp to the tank. I don’t know if this was just a coincidence but when he was added to the tank, the next day I noticed my royal dottyback had around 5 white spots on his fins. I was quite worried but being the beginner I am, I didn’t take him out of the tank because I don’t have a quarantine tank or hospital tank (I know, stupid) I left him in to see what would happen the next day. The next day my green damsel also had white spots so I was getting worried. I still didn’t know what to do, and the next day my royal dottyback died.
My shrimp also died that day. Then 4 or 5 more days pass and the green chromis and all my other fish look pretty fine. I wake up this morning and my green damsel is dead.

can anyone please help me with what I should do? I’m pretty sure this was ick but if anyone can help me on what I should do that would be great.

water parameters are all fine.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for your losses.

Quickly appearing white spots, rapid death, usually is velvet. Here's more info on velvet:

drawman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on ich or velvet. Velvet is often much smaller and kills fast. I would consider treating all remaining fish in a quarantine tank and keeping the tank fallow.

OP
OP
Oscar’s25Gal

Oscar’s25Gal

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for your losses.

Quickly appearing white spots, rapid death, usually is velvet. Here's more info on velvet:

drawman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, thanks, and what should I do with my BTA?
I would leave the BTA as well as coral and other inverts in the display and remove the fish only to treat. Here is a good write up:

PatW

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Almost certainly velvet. ICH is usually resisted pretty well by a healthy fish. It takes awhile to be fatal. Velvet kills very quickly and can lead to a catastrophe.

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Almost certainly velvet. ICH is usually resisted pretty well by a healthy fish. It takes awhile to be fatal. Velvet kills very quickly and can lead to a catastrophe.
Could be ich tho. parameter swings like temperature or salinity, could have killed them. Ich could have been the last sign that something else was off in the tank. Your guess is as good as mine, with no pictures or posted parameters during the incident. When in doubt Water change! Maybe some carbon too. Need to test your water to know for sure what is going on. If your water parameters are true and stable then you may need a UV sterilizer to combat the ich or make the decision to go fallow and quarantine everything to eradicate the ich or velvet.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back