Wondering if i could add an eel.

Kirschy17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have a 6 months old 65g all in one tank. Its a full pn mixed reef and i never planned on getting an moray eel. Since recently i really got into morays and would love to keep one one day. Im not intrested in a predator only tank tough. I was just wondering what you would think of the idea. Im from europe so im kinda unsure if i could ever get a dwarf species. Snowflake would be the go to. Or do some fellow european reefers know a place where i can get dwarf species.

Any advice is appreciated!

Sashaka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was interested in an eel a few years back too. Be aware, even a snowflake is an opportunist feeder and will eat what it can catch and fit in its mouth. I actually bought a few, only to have them go rug surfing. I plugged every hole, and still they managed to escape!
If you're still set on an eel, I'd recommend the dwarf yellow moray from Hawaii or the zebra as they are good choices as far as being less aggressive; however, keep in mind an eel is an opportunistic feeder and if it can fit a fish in its mouth, it may/will eat the fish. Both of those species need a larger tank though. Unless you want to go bigger or rehome your fish when it gets too big for your tank, I would stick with an engineer goby. They look like an eel, act like an eel, but don't frantically look for an escape or eat your other fish. You can check Youtube video to see what they look like:

Good luck with your decision!

OP
OP
K

Kirschy17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im aware of the opportunistic feeder part. Also it may sound dumb but what im fascinated most about eels is their evil looking face. I think they look so cool. Also the way their skin looks when they get bigger. Just insanely cool fish and if i ever go about upgrading ill keep in mind the requirements for a moray eel. The hawaian is a dwarf species am i right? One of the expensive ones...

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've found myself loving eels as well, I have a small fang tooth(jeweled) and a black ribbon eel that looks to be just starting to change. The snowflake is a good starter eel, but nothing beats the menacing attitude of a fang tooth. Start out with a small one and get him eating dead food really well before introducing him to other tank mates. Have your feeding schedule down and do not alter. My jeweled becomes very anxious on feeding day, a well fed satisfied eel is less likely to wrestle down a tank mate. Choose his tank mates carefully, obviously nothing that's looks too easy to get down; a 65g will limit you in this regard. Your other choices need to large enough and tough enough to stand up to the eel, yet a proper choice for a 65g. Filtration becomes a concern in a smaller tank with an eel, an algae reactor is a good addition to help in that regard,

While cute, a dwarf golden is just not going to get you there, if I understand where your fascination.

016.jpg

OP
OP
K

Kirschy17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do like the small ones aswell. Id much rather keep a happy 1’ eel than an angry giant that runs havoc in my tank. I have a little refugium but obviously would need to look into filtration again. I would keep him in quarantine of course. Have you had success with an eel in a tank of my size. Also as i said i wouldnt wanna give up on the means of a mxed reef. A jeweled would be appropriate u think?

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Theoretically a jeweled would do fine in a 65g, but you would be very limited to other additions. I might consider a dwarf angel and a trio of damsels for a splash of color, but other than that? That would be a great tank for me, but others may find it limiting.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 7 17.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 5.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 5 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 24 60.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 5.0%
Back