Wood Working Gurus & Formica

  • Thread starter Thread starter Bear22
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Bear22

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 16, 2025
Messages
596
Reaction score
447
Location
USA
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guys,

I have a need to cut a L-shaped piece of formica sheet. Cutting the outside edges of the piece/sheet = easy and straightforward. However, it's that inside corner that I am a bit flummoxed with. How does one get as close to 90 degrees without damaging the piece? Any thoughts on techniques (and equipment) to get this accomplished?

TIA
 
I'd probably use a Jigsaw with an appropriate blade and cut it from the backside to prevent splintering. Clean up the inside corner with a rasp.
 
I'd probably use a Jigsaw with an appropriate blade and cut it from the backside to prevent splintering. Clean up the inside corner with a rasp.
Thought about that, but this piece needs to be as fine finished as possible with absolutely precision straight cuts.

I use my jigsaw all the time, but if there is a better method/technique I am all ears.
 
I'm not sure this is what you're doing, but if it's gluing Formica for, let's say a counter top, what you do is oversize the Formica. Now glue if down using a contact cement. I use multiple dowels between the laminate and wood base to align as close as possible and then start removing the dowels and press down the laminate. Now, using a router with a flush trim bit, trim off the excess. On an inside edge, use a file to remove the round route excess.

Trim bit looks like this:
Screenshot 2026-08-22 4.27.56 PM.png
 
I'm not sure this is what you're doing, but if it's gluing Formica for, let's say a counter top, what you do is oversize the Formica. Now glue if down using a contact cement. I use multiple dowels between the laminate and wood base to align as close as possible and then start removing the dowels and press down the laminate. Now, using a router with a flush trim bit, trim off the excess. On an inside edge, use a file to remove the round route excess.

Trim bit looks like this:
Screenshot 2026-08-22 4.27.56 PM.png

Yes, I've used these flush bits before with Formica and I have a purpose built file for counter top laminates.

Was just wondering if there is a better (easier) way.
 
Flush trim bit is the easiest way to cut laminate. Using saws can cause it to crack.
 
Yes, I've used these flush bits before with Formica and I have a purpose built file for counter top laminates.

Was just wondering if there is a better (easier) way.
To be sure, is this going to be glued down prior to trimming, or are you trying to finished as a raw sheet for some reason?

If it is glued down, then the accepted finish step would be the flush trim bit as tight as you can. Be mindful of the bit rotation direction so you don't get tear-out. Then use a very sharp straight edge and razor to mark the exact inside corner line so that when you carefully file toward it it wont chip out. Use painters tape right up to the line for further protection. You have to file vertically, only downward or you will notice the difference in bevel or create chips on the up stroke.
 
Last edited:
Thought about that, but this piece needs to be as fine finished as possible with absolutely precision straight cuts.

I use my jigsaw all the time, but if there is a better method/technique I am all ears.
Guys,

I have a need to cut a L-shaped piece of formica sheet. Cutting the outside edges of the piece/sheet = easy and straightforward. However, it's that inside corner that I am a bit flummoxed with. How does one get as close to 90 degrees without damaging the piece? Any thoughts on techniques (and equipment) to get this accomplished?

TIA
You don't say what saw you are using if you are . if it is a circular saw blade then cut up to your line on one side and finish it off with a hand held saw for the other. Another way is take a look at Japanese pull saws . Not thick , and can get up to 26 teeth per inch
 
Cutting an L-shaped inside corner in Formica is tricky because the material wants to chip right at that point. I have had good luck scoring the backside along the corner line with a sharp razor first, then using a fine-tooth jigsaw blade with the sheet face down
After that, a small rasp or file working only downward on the corner cleans it up without tearing
Here's what I ended up doing:

I took a framer's square and clamped it down on the glued down formica surface side (for support) positioning it so that only the portion that was to be filed was uncovered if that makes sense. And then used a laminate file (gently) to file the curved radius of the previously routed inside corner to get a nice crisp inside 90 degree corner. There may be better ways, but this worked well for me.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Cutting an L-shaped inside corner in Formica is tricky because the material wants to chip right at that point. I have had good luck scoring the backside along the corner line with a sharp razor first, then using a fine-tooth jigsaw blade with the sheet face down
After that, a small rasp or file working only downward on the corner cleans it up without tearing
Try a Japanese draw saw you can get 24 teeth per inch and as its called you pull it
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Try a Japanese draw saw you can get 24 teeth per inch and as its called you pull it
That might work, but cutting Formica is very tricky with devices (or process) that have a reciprocating action. As tough as the material is, it can be surprisingly fragile and brittle when cutting it.
 
I know what they are. It still is used in a reciprocating fashion ;-)
What confused me is that you use a bare hacksaw blade 🤣. Neither are reciprocating ,only cut in one direction. I have used hacksaw blades for what you are doing . They wander while a pull saw has a broader blade so I simply don't believe you . The end
 
I know what they are. It still is used in a reciprocating fashion ;-)
Only if you're being pedant for the sake of arguing, but then your file is used in a reciprocating fashion too, isn't it?
 
Last edited:
What confused me is that you use a bare hacksaw blade 🤣. Neither are reciprocating ,only cut in one direction. I have used hacksaw blades for what you are doing . They wander while a pull saw has a broader blade so I simply don't believe you . The end
I have no idea what it is you are inferring/talking about. I haven't mentioned using a hacksaw and nor do I see any mention of using a hacksaw by anybody else (besides you) in the commentary above. You sure you are commenting on the right thread?
 
I have no idea what it is you are inferring/talking about. I haven't mentioned using a hacksaw and nor do I see any mention of using a hacksaw by anybody else (besides you) in the commentary above. You sure you are commenting on the right thread?
Sorry a Jigsaw which is reciprocating . Even worse . Due to the blade width
 
Only if you're being pedant for the sake of arguing, but then your file is used in a reciprocating fashion too, isn't it?
A pull saw can be controlled by backing off the material being cut and carefully engaging on the draw , and is a hand tool so you are in control. Anyway to each his own . He asked for other ideas ?
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 2 11.1%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 8 44.4%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 3 16.7%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 1 5.6%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 2 11.1%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 2 11.1%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new