Woodneers dream tank build!

Woodneers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok folks it is time to get this party started! For this I will need the vast knowledge base of this forum so please feel free to offer up any advice or info that may pertain to this adventure. This should be a lot of fun. This will serve as a method of tracking the progress of what is currently a 8' in wall build!

So first things first lets talk about how this came to be! My loving wife made the mistake of saying I could build an in wall tank. She mentioned extending a wall or two in our basement and basically doubling the size of out storage room. We don't use the basement much even though it has a fully furnished family room, bedroom, office. The only reason to go down there is the office when my wife or I work form home. We both have jobs in renewable energy and often have to be available on a moments notice. When the wife gave the go ahead I said if i was to build an in wall tank it would be much larger! She said "that's fine as long as everything is contained within the walls of this now larger room". I immediately started work before she could change her mind. Here are a few pics of what is currently happening. You can see us removing the old laminate flooring, trim, random wall, etc. The blue tape on the floor is 8'x30".

I had to decide whether this wall is load bearing or not. After careful study and making a few phone calls it was decided it was not and the next step is to build a new wall with an 8' opening. The tank will stick out 8-12" from the wall so we have a minimal view from the side. I was a cabinet builder for a decade so I will have to come up with some interesting/tasteful touches to finish it all in and get it looking good. I plan to make the front accessible to some degree or another.

I currently have a 75 gallon aquarium that was my first venture into reef keeping. It has served its purpose and I've managed to keep most critters alive for a few years so far. The big issue with the 75 is its out in the open and I have no way if hiding all the buckets, containers, food, testing kits, etc. Not to mention i never finished building a canopy or doors for the front of the stand. My wife refers to is as my little science experiment in the basement or my mess depending on her mood! I also have a 40 gallon all in one in my bedroom that just houses a few fish at the moment, just recently put it back in business.

So here is a list of questions I need answers to at this point in no particular order:
  • Acrylic or glass? I would like to hear what the folks of this fine forum have to say on this topic.
  • What kind of power will I need to make this happen, upon first glance I have 2 separate circuits in or going through this room. I will investigate further soon.
  • What would be an ideal depth for this type of tank? I think about lighting options and what would be ideal. It is after all going to be a ton of lights!
  • Steel or wood stand?
List of things to do while I decide on final tank dimensions:
  • Figure out the electrical and possibly add circuits if needed, the rest of the basement is finished so this may be difficult.
  • Frame in new wall and relocate door to the left.
  • Drywall
  • Room lighting, thinking one 4' florescent fixture for some spread and then converting the two previously installed pendants to outlets above the tank for tank lighting.
  • move a ton of stuff to our backyard storage shed so I can hang drywall.
  • flooring in front of the tank, small area and will probably go with vinyl of some sort for its waterproof properties.
  • become a contributing member!
List of must haves for new setup:
  • Saltwater mixing station hidden up under the stairs, did I mention the utility closet is on the other side of the wall/stairs to the right.
  • Ample room around tank to perform maintenance.
  • Dedicated space for QT tank
  • Storage cabinets for testing supplies, additives and all the other "fish stuff"
  • Room to have a wall of electrical and controller related items, I am so tired of cramming these items under my current tank!
  • direct connection to the home network, this is easy as this are was previously a bar area with cable, ethernet, and outlets. It's already there!
  • A very large sump, still debating how to accomplish this.

Is all of this too much to ask??? Lets hear form the forum, what do you guys think?

38987022-2D5B-420E-8CD0-7E94A9DBE55D.JPG FA97B319-AA05-4BDA-856E-3B2BCC5B5C29.JPG D3E29EB1-8DF4-41F0-B2CE-117B101CEF8A.JPG B057F73D-0515-46B8-A46F-C80857254337.JPG

OP
OP
Woodneers

Woodneers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
got a little framing done today! Added a 2x12x12’ header panel and got all the studs in. Still have to build the other wall, that will happen tomorrow! May also need to move this to the monster tank forum! If I’m looking at this correctly I see a tank 96x27x36= 403 gallons! More to come stay tuned.

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
got a little framing done today! Added a 2x12x12’ header panel and got all the studs in. Still have to build the other wall, that will happen tomorrow! May also need to move this to the monster tank forum! If I’m looking at this correctly I see a tank 96x27x36= 403 gallons! More to come stay tuned.

More pictures!!!

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fair enough, was the same for my fish room build, still not fully completed either lol

OP
OP
Woodneers

Woodneers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so I’m sore from the work this took but the room is ready for drywall! Will work in that through the rest of the week and hopefully have a finished room by the end of the weekend! I’m stoked for two reasons, I get a fish room and naturally get to purge out storage situation! I have many hobbies and it shows!

Attachments

• EB2442AE-C412-4292-8105-F2DDF5FD3639.jpeg
    EB2442AE-C412-4292-8105-F2DDF5FD3639.jpeg
    137.4 KB · Views: 86
OP
OP
Woodneers

Woodneers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
See that sweet spot under the stairs? That’s the water storage space. Will build a mixing station to suit that space. That will leave a wall for controllers and misc gear. I need to find a tank! Everyone keep your eyes peeled for me please!

OP
OP
Woodneers

Woodneers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had to take a floating holiday before the end of the year so I almost got all the drywall installed! I am so sore! I stopped to eat dinner and didn’t have it in me to get started again. I have a few pieces left to hang but it’s getting real close to being hung. Then the fun starts....

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had to take a floating holiday before the end of the year so I almost got all the drywall installed! I am so sore! I stopped to eat dinner and didn’t have it in me to get started again. I have a few pieces left to hang but it’s getting real close to being hung. Then the fun starts....

I thought Drywall WAS the fun part?? ;Smuggrin

OP
OP
Woodneers

Woodneers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am trying to get as much done as I can so I don’t lose motivation! I’m committed at this point not to mention the wife wants the mess to come to an end. It also serves as a storage space and all that stuff is currently in our spare bedroom, downstairs living room, office, hallways, etc! There will be a major purge before anything goes back in this room.

Cristy17

Sunshine Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good! I am looking forward to watching the progress. You are moving fast! My vote is for glass not acrylic. It seems acrylic looks great for the first few years but then it starts to haze. Of course you can polish it to get the clearness back, but who wants to empty a cycled tank?? Also, it seems no matter how careful you are, it is easy to scratch the acrylic with substrate, unless of course you want to keep it bare bottom...just my 2 cents worth.

OP
OP
Woodneers

Woodneers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good! I am looking forward to watching the progress. You are moving fast! My vote is for glass not acrylic. It seems acrylic looks great for the first few years but then it starts to haze. Of course you can polish it to get the clearness back, but who wants to empty a cycled tank?? Also, it seems no matter how careful you are, it is easy to scratch the acrylic with substrate, unless of course you want to keep it bare bottom...just my 2 cents worth.
Thanks for following along! I still need to find the tank! Will likely be glass though. Stay tuned I will continue to post as this progresses.

OP
OP
Woodneers

Woodneers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I managed to get all the drywall hung and about a third of it mudded and taped! Moving right along.

Attachments

• DC77A89D-8984-4D6D-A051-5266881DFD4F.jpeg
    DC77A89D-8984-4D6D-A051-5266881DFD4F.jpeg
    110.9 KB · Views: 82
  • 3CFB9F13-7C2F-4829-9280-AB00C9A09389.jpeg
    3CFB9F13-7C2F-4829-9280-AB00C9A09389.jpeg
    101.5 KB · Views: 65
  • 12B08CF5-79C9-40D3-8524-2D42F1E9E04A.jpeg
    12B08CF5-79C9-40D3-8524-2D42F1E9E04A.jpeg
    76.5 KB · Views: 82
OP
OP
Woodneers

Woodneers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a little Sunday mid slinging! Adding an Alexa to my apex has proven quite useful this last week. All I have to say is “Alexa play some music”

9A0FD884-E071-44AC-8F1B-F4E8D2C266A9.jpeg CC6B94A3-3AEF-4FF9-9F6B-E8BF2A9404DD.jpeg 7B06FD1D-B21F-4ABD-B930-C0790175E8A1.jpeg

OP
OP
Woodneers

Woodneers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s all taped! Gonna let it all dry overnight then probably a couple days of sanding and touch up then texture! I still need a tank!

Attachments

• 44A6A5BC-2E56-456D-871F-44A88DDDC953.jpeg
    44A6A5BC-2E56-456D-871F-44A88DDDC953.jpeg
    115.9 KB · Views: 58
Back