Woooo Woooo! 95G Tank build! (1st tank ever)

OP
OP
inkedsparkster

inkedsparkster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah agreed trigger. And oh well, I'm just ready to have this thing up and running. It's still gonna be a good looking tank when it's done. I just went and saw it today. I also had over a buddy who is cutting me out the wood panels needed for my stand. (I just don't have the wood working tools to do it myself and he is a wood shop teacher so he is a good man for the job.) Here is a picture of the tank before he puts the euro brace on.

20140206_155235.jpg

OP
OP
inkedsparkster

inkedsparkster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update! Euro brace is almost done on the tank. The sump has been started and looking so good! I also got the wood panels for the stand done. Now I just need to find some half moon washers (which are almost impossible to find locally apparently) so that I can attach the back and side wood panel into the frame. Tomorrow I will be looking into ordering LED lighting for inside the cabinet, and ordering some computer fans for the back panel and yeah, just slowly getting there!

euro tank.jpg
euro tank1.jpg
dark sump.jpg
dark sump 1.jpg
stand 4.jpg

55g

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your metal base, how much did it cost? I was thinking about going that route and wanted to know ballpark what it coast. Thanks.

DSP

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't wait to see water in the tank! Nice looking build really like that sump to! Subscribed

OP
OP
inkedsparkster

inkedsparkster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@55G, I had a friend weld it up for me and then another buddy powder coat it for me. For the stand alone before powder coating, I was at $400. Now you could easily go with 1'' sqaure tube steel instead of 1.5'' and bring the cost down more on the material. However, I really wasn't sure until after it was all finished at how stout the 1.5'' was (overkill). It is working out to my benifit however, because the 1.5'' is allowing me to inset the rear and side wall which are going to be wood, along with the front and other side panel in acrylic. That way I can show off the frame of the stand.

OP
OP
inkedsparkster

inkedsparkster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UPDATE!!! I got the tank home today! I will be making progress on the stand tomorrow and hopefully getting it almost 100 percent done so that next weekend I can get this thing wet!

tank!!!.jpg
tank2!!.jpg

OP
OP
inkedsparkster

inkedsparkster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@ Chris, the front and side panel will be made out of smoked acrylic. The back and other side panel will be plywood.

UPDATE! Got the sump home and put it under the stand just to get a feel for the look. I also got all the sanding done of the wood panels and prepped for painting.

sump 4.jpg
sump 5.jpg

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm loving this and there is no water yet! HA!

OP
OP
inkedsparkster

inkedsparkster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Revhtree! Here are some parts I just ordered for lighting up under the stand and also a fan to add some venting for under there.

stand parts.jpg

OP
OP
inkedsparkster

inkedsparkster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so you can't really see that picture at all to tell what I ordered. I'll just tell ya. I purchased an RGB LED light strip 16.5' long. I am going to be cutting 3 or 4 lengths to fit under the stand and making my own connectors to wire them all together. I purchased the waterproof version to help against the harsh environment under the stand so we will see how it holds up.

The light strips are controlled by a remote and can be set to nice bright colors and are also capable of dimming (so they say.) I figured this would be a fun alternative to play with then just going with a basic strip light.

OP
OP
inkedsparkster

inkedsparkster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright, another update for everyone. Finally made it over to my dads to trim down the back/side panels down on the table saw. Now all I have to do is sand down some tight fitting spots and then get to painting! I purchased 1'' sch. 80 pvc for the plumbing (I like the dark grey color of it). However since the walls are so thick I don't like how much less flow it will get. So I am going to stick with sch. 40 white PVC. I am thinking of painting it with plastic spray paint. However I am not sure how durable that plastic paint will be in the salty atmosphere.

stand 5.jpg

OP
OP
inkedsparkster

inkedsparkster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update. Got the acrylic panels in! Put two handles on the front one and I need to trim one of the corners of the side panel to get it to fit. I am also currently painting the wood panels and going to start working on the LED strip lighting I bought to light up under the stand.

smoked.jpg

81Shaun

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looks nice I like it. I like how you got that RO system setup.

OP
OP
inkedsparkster

inkedsparkster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update, got the wood panels painted and started working on the LED strip lighting I am using to illuminate under the stand. I made a "How To" youtube video on how I made custom length jumpers for the LED strip lighting. The only jumpers I could find online to buy were short. I was wanting to put 4 separate strips under the aquarium. And with that I had to make custom length jumpers to connect them all together. Anyways, here's a few photos and the video if you are interested.

LED1.jpg
LED.jpg
[video=youtube_share;T1q8o2YPnmQ]http://youtu.be/T1q8o2YPnmQ[/video]

Reefpestsolutions

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Inkedsparkster the skimmer you have chosen is a crazy beast. We have sent Jake Adams from reef builders this same model 2"shortened to play with on his own tanks.

ak_reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Eric looking great. There are several of us PNW here. Can't wait to see this bad boy full of water and running. OBD does great work.

OP
OP
inkedsparkster

inkedsparkster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks AK, and RPS. I am very happy with the way the tank and sump turned out! Now It is just my job to finish up the stand. However it is taking a lot longer then I thought it would. Just trying to take little steps and get as much done as I can every week/weekend.

I got all the panels painted, but I need to get a big grommet now and drill a hole in the back panel for all the wires to pass through. I also need to layout and cut a square in the side wood panel for the cabinet fan to sit in and I am trying to finish up a shelf that will sit on the back wall for the ATO aqualifter and any future dosing pumps.

Anyways, here is a cool teaser video I think you should all watch!

[video=youtube_share;fdsYfdUzxAs]http://youtu.be/fdsYfdUzxAs[/video]

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back