Word of advice: Don't trust fish with the top off for even the shortest periods of time!!

Rjramos

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But with a lid don't you need to keep cleaning it for condensation build up will cause algae growth? Plus I would imagine if you have surface turbulence it will get build up of salt grime.
I agree with this, especially the salt. That’s why on my shallow frag tanks I haven’t used a lid. I think even the reflectiveness of plexiglas or glass affects the light getting to your corals. The custom screens I’ve seen are probably a better option. Since starting this system 2 1/2 years ago I’ve only had a royal gramma jump out. Currently 1 of the tanks has a Dusky wrasse, a pair of clownfish, and a pair of neon gobies. The other tank has a watchman goby and a yellow tang. Each tank is 60 gal.
E1A36B89-C265-461E-A43B-006530357CCC.jpeg

jay06705

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I too learned the hard way, beautiful clownfish. Found it dried out on floor about two feet away from the tank. Immediately ordered a custom lid. Had to temporarily cut a piece of plexi to have something on it.

Cacopepo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This happen to me a few months ago.. just purchased a clarkii, I forgot to put the top back on while target feeding, come back and there it was... just laying on the floor lifeless, I quickly put it back but sank to the bottom, upsidedown.... I was so upset, left it there hoping for the best, next morning, swimming like nothing happen....

chvvkumar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This happened to me just yesterday, twice!

First, I took the cover off and went to my refrigerator to get Reef Energy AB+ to feed my corals, come back feed the corals and 10 minutes later saw my fire fish dead on the carpet.

While feeding the corals my female clown got spooked and jumped out. I quickly put her back in and she was dazed for a few seconds. I was checking the clown and did not notice the firefish.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Last night I decided to target feed coral so I temporarily removed the top from my shallow frag tank. About 40 minutes later I came down, fed the tank and put the top back on. Came home this afternoon to discover that my awesome orchid dotty back jumped out some time within the 40 minutes the top was off last night and was dried up on the floor. I did not forget to put it back on but didn't know it had already jumped. Now I've had this happen on another tank without a top but this one I invested in the top to prevent this. I really get pi$$ed off at myself over stupid stuff like this. It was avoidable. It's not easy to get a healthy fish. So stupid on my part. Just thought i'd share my misfortune.
Sorry man, that sucks. Been there. Done that.

Last edited:

Westside Guy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last night I decided to target feed coral so I temporarily removed the top from my shallow frag tank. About 40 minutes later I came down, fed the tank and put the top back on. Came home this afternoon to discover that my awesome orchid dotty back jumped out some time within the 40 minutes the top was off last night and was dried up on the floor. I did not forget to put it back on but didn't know it had already jumped. Now I've had this happen on another tank without a top but this one I invested in the top to prevent this. I really get pi$$ed off at myself over stupid stuff like this. It was avoidable. It's not easy to get a healthy fish. So stupid on my part. Just thought i'd share my misfortune.

Having recently acquired an absolutely beautiful orchid dottyback I feel your pain!

I also leave the top off while feeding coral and will now pay more attention and take attendance before walking away.

KevTide

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear that. I think any fish is susceptible to jumping. I had the lid on my tank and still lost a diamond goby. My lid does not sit flush because of a power cable for my flow pump. There is just the tiniest of cracks but somehow that goby became an escape artist and managed to jump thru the crack. Very frustrating because I had just brought him home from the fish store.

Acartia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a sand-sifter star that jumped out of my tank. OK, that’s a lie, but wouldn’t it make a great story?

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with this, especially the salt. That’s why on my shallow frag tanks I haven’t used a lid. I think even the reflectiveness of plexiglas or glass affects the light getting to your corals. The custom screens I’ve seen are probably a better option. Since starting this system 2 1/2 years ago I’ve only had a royal gramma jump out. Currently 1 of the tanks has a Dusky wrasse, a pair of clownfish, and a pair of neon gobies. The other tank has a watchman goby and a yellow tang. Each tank is 60 gal.
E1A36B89-C265-461E-A43B-006530357CCC.jpeg
Are plastics and glass opaque (block) to some portions of the light spectrum? Are all interesting wavelengths passed? I agree, screens might be preferable.

Now those are some sweet tanks.

salty150

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is why I don't get the "latest" widespread now fad of rimless, topless, tanks... Red Sea Reefers, Waterbox, etc...

They look beautiful - and not one of these rimless, topless, tank manufacturers makes a top (other than DIY) to match their tanks.

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is why I don't get the "latest" widespread now fad of rimless, topless, tanks... Red Sea Reefers, Waterbox, etc...

They look beautiful - and not one of these rimless, topless, tank manufacturers makes a top (other than DIY) to match their tanks.
Yes, and most (all?) diy screen tops use metal, aluminum frames. Does this leach into our tanks?

chadg

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess I've just been lucky. Been running with no top on my tank for over 10 years. I got tired of cleaning the glass tops. Never had a jumper. I've only got three in there now, Yellow Tang, Maroon Clown and a FoxFace. The FoxFace is less than a year in there, but the Tang and Clown I've had for more than 15 years. Over the last 10, I've had an emperor angel, Picasso trigger, Kole Tang. Hope my luck does not run out writing this! ;)

Arabyps

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel for you. I added a Blue Dot jawfish recently to my new build. First night in the tank he took a flyer. My dog brought it to my attention the next morning. Now I have a Clearview Lids cover. No more worries.

TriggerFinger

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have an egg crate top and it needs hosed off badly...I planned on doing that tonight but now you all have me nervous. I have two new wrasses in the tank so if anyone jumps, it will be them. I guess I can put a towel over the top while I hose the egg crate?

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 27 30.3%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 21 23.6%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 22 24.7%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 19 21.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back