Worm I.D. Help

jfenton954

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 5, 2011
Messages
90
Reaction score
0
Location
Martinsburg, WV
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure what this worm is? Is it bad or ok?
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1416836696.380269.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1416836709.109592.jpg
 
It's a Nemertea or Ribbon Worm. They are carnivores and most are predatory on crustaceans.

Thanks, Mike. I was cleaning my tank yesterday and think I found a Nemertea (after looking at pictures) in a Nassarius shell. Wasn't sure what it was so I threw it out. Is this a bad sign?
 
They are prolific breeders, if that is what you what to know. You can probably figure that it ate the snail.
It wouldn't hurt to put a trap in with bait overnight.
 
That looks like it's on the glass. I think it's a hair or spaghetti worm.... more than likely a hair where it's out like that.
 
That looks like it's on the glass. I think it's a hair or spaghetti worm.... more than likely a hair where it's out like that.


EDIT: I just enlarged the picture and it's a hair worm as I can see the gills along the body. Spaghetti worms have them on one end only.
 
Last edited:
Okay. I enlarged the pic, too. I agree it's a hair worm. It looked to me like it was swimming and Ribbon worms swim - hair worms do not. Sorry about that.
 
I can totally see the right side, as being the Nemertea. It looks like their pointy "head".
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 9 28.1%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 11 34.4%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 6 18.8%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 9.4%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 10 31.3%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 7 21.9%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 15.6%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 9 28.1%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 15.6%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 5 15.6%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 7 21.9%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new