Worm living in toadstool cap

Calm Blue Ocean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After lights out tonight I observed fine threads coming out of a spot on the cap of my toadstool. The hole they are coming out is so small as to be next to impossible to see (no visible tubes or other structures, just a pinhole). The threads make me think of a spaghetti worm, but spaghetti worms I've dealt with before had sand tubes that they built on the rocks, they weren't living in coral tissue. I counted possibly four distinct "threads".

I think the only way to extract the worm would be to frag the coral.

Just wondering if anyone has seen a worm take up residence in a toadstool like this before.

Sorry for the lack of pictures.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Pics under white lights would help tremendously
If 2 threads, spinoid worm, if on long one vermetid snail-and if multiple,,,, spaghetti worm

OP
OP
Calm Blue Ocean

Calm Blue Ocean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pics under white lights would help tremendously
If 2 threads, spinoid worm, if on long one vermetid snail-and if multiple,,,, spaghetti worm

Looks like probably a spaghetti worm then. Of course now that the lights are on it's hiding but I'll try to get a picture with a flashlight tonight.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Yes, they prefer low light
Looks like probably a spaghetti worm then. Of course now that the lights are on it's hiding but I'll try to get a picture with a flashlight tonight./shaded areas

Back