Worried about this Bangaii cardinal

hannernanner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi all,
I'm worried about one of my Bangaii cardinal. It's the larger of a bonded pair I got from LA back in early March (so they've been with me 7 months now). Hasn't eaten in two days. At first I thought maybe carrying eggs, but he just seems to be sitting near the bottom a lot, not swimming around like normal. I QT'd them when I got them. My clownfish and tailspot blenny are fat, happy and eating as normal. No recent additions to the tank except some coral frags last week that were dipped before they went in. I put him in this specimen container for a photo- I can't see anything obviously up with him, other than thin because he hasn't eaten. The only other weird thing I've noticed is that this larger one would pick on the smaller one occasionally, usually at feeding time. He preferred the company of my clown. But the last few days they've been inseparable...any ideas?
Thanks!
Hannah

IMG_1086.jpg

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Lifespan about 3 years.
look at ammonia, nitrate, salinity and increase oxygen

OP
OP
hannernanner

hannernanner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Lifespan about 3 years.
look at ammonia, nitrate, salinity and increase oxygen
Everything is within normal parameters and has been. It's been a pretty stable system since I got these guys, I haven't made any drastic changes. Plus everyone else looks normal...is it possible for diseases like Velvet or Ich to come in on frag plugs, and survive a coral dip? This guy looks like he's not going to make it and now I'm worried about the other inhabitants...

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
same happened to me earlier this year, my 6 month old banggai, who was the boss of the tank, just stopped eating and swimming and in a week it died. I did my best to figure out the reason, but everything seemed fine. I did a lot of googling, there are lots of reports that banggai's just don't do well in aquariums. In the wild they are nocturnal fishes, so they get kidnapped from the ocean, then they are forced to change from nocturnal to daytime fishes, I guess its hard for them to adopt to captivity, its really all I can figure. I won't try this fish again unless I can find a captive bred one.

OP
OP
hannernanner

hannernanner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
same happened to me earlier this year, my 6 month old banggai, who was the boss of the tank, just stopped eating and swimming and in a week it died. I did my best to figure out the reason, but everything seemed fine. I did a lot of googling, there are lots of reports that banggai's just don't do well in aquariums. In the wild they are nocturnal fishes, so they get kidnapped from the ocean, then they are forced to change from nocturnal to daytime fishes, I guess its hard for them to adopt to captivity, its really all I can figure. I won't try this fish again unless I can find a captive bred one.
Mine are captive bred

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back