Would ammonia fumes in the air from cat box affect ammonia level in tank?

PiscesPower

People protect what they love. - J. Cousteau
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My RSR 250 is in the same room as our cat box. It needs changing and I did not have litter, I thought I did. This AM I was scooping and trying to clean it up a bit and the smell of ammonia is pretty intense. I have noticed that since yesterday my Seneye ammonia level has creeped up from .005 to .01.

Would the ammonia in the air cause this. They are pretty close together. Nothing different in tank. It's not an alarming level, but I'm curious. I added a bit of Prime just to be sure things stay fine.

As a side note the box will be leaving its current location. it was there while we were introducing a new kitten and we wanted a box on each level of the house.

OP
OP
PiscesPower

PiscesPower

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well litter has been changed. Room is airing out, I'll be curious to see if it drops.

XNavyDiver

Insightful answer loading... please wait.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have 3 cats and their litter boxes are in the same common room as the tank, but it's the large living/dining/kitchen room under a vaulted ceiling. We never smelled the ammonia before.

OP
OP
PiscesPower

PiscesPower

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well, you probably are more attentive to them than I was this week. I use a silica based crystal litter (we'll see on this latest Triton test if that makes a difference too). It's one of those litters that is great, great and then boom its not. The crystals get full. I thought I had a replacement box, but had to Amazon Prime some this morning.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 24 14.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 13.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 96 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.6%
Back