Would Pump cable left in water mess up water?

Rockedash

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I set up my new tank yesterday and like an idiot I accidentally left the pump power connector in the water. There is nothing in the tank as i just started cycling it yesterday.I used my multi meter to look for stray voltage and it didnt look like there was any in the water or anything super off. The plug looks like its rusted and the paint or finished is tripped off of it aswell. How harmful would that be and how would i fix that and test for it? Also would the cycle get messed up and would the bacteria be killed?

IMG_4612.jpg IMG_4613.jpg

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
i am a very skeptical person and would immediately not trust that plug any longer. saltwater is tremendously corrosive to metal and i am not hopeful it will last long term.

you could continue using it, but moving forward is it now a huge liability.

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Well, it definitely won't mess up the cycle- you'd have to dump quite a lot of poison into the tank to manage that. Pure iron rust shouldn't hurt anything, but I don't know if rust of whatever that plug is made of would be harmful, so I can't answer that.

OP
OP
R

Rockedash

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i am a very skeptical person and would immediately not trust that plug any longer. saltwater is tremendously corrosive to metal and i am not hopeful it will last long term.

you could continue using it, but moving forward is it now a huge liability.
Yeah im just gonna toss it im gonna upgrade the pump anyway as it is pretty weak. Im pretty skeptical too i dont wanna take any chances with anything if it can be preventable.

OP
OP
R

Rockedash

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, it definitely won't mess up the cycle- you'd have to dump quite a lot of poison into the tank to manage that. Pure iron rust shouldn't hurt anything, but I don't know if rust of whatever that plug is made of would be harmful, so I can't answer that.
Thats good. I tested my ammonia last light and it looked around 4 ppms and today looks like .5 or 1ppm so i wasnt sure if it did something to the cycle cause i didnt think it would be that fast.

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That's a lot of ammonia to start a cycle with. But, no, a cycle moving faster than expected is not a sign that something was messed up.

How did you start the cycle? You might just be almost done.

OP
OP
R

Rockedash

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a lot of ammonia to start a cycle with. But, no, a cycle moving faster than expected is not a sign that something was messed up.

How did you start the cycle? You might just be almost done.
I first took some ceramic rings i had from my other tank and put those in then i squeezed a small portion of the sponge from my fluval evo into it aswell then i poured in fritz zyme and then like 4-5 hours later i put pure ammonia in. My lfs recommend i do it that way ive never done the cycle fishless before ive always put the bacteria in waited a day then got a few fish and its always worked fine.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 47 29.4%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.8%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 45 28.1%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 54 33.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 5.0%
Back