OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So a major update: The light has now become a 3 channel + moon. Much more control and have dialed in the color I have been chasing.
My buddy, Coy, is coming over tomorrow night for me to drill his 75 and to help me swap sumps.

new_old_sump.jpg

I am currently using a 15 gallon tank and it takes up way too much room in the stand and it's backward so, the sump in the picture is going in. It is literally a storage unit find from years ago and I finally took the time to clean it up and check for leaks. Since I am not going to run a fuge, just a chaeto reactor, I don't need the room. I believe orienting the plumbing the opposite of the way it is now will also quiet things down a bit.

I am also going to clean up some wires while I am at it. I will post a picture of the completed setup when done.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So a major update: The light has now become a 3 channel + moon. Much more control and have dialed in the color I have been chasing.
My buddy, Coy, is coming over tomorrow night for me to drill his 75 and to help me swap sumps.

new_old_sump.jpg

I am currently using a 15 gallon tank and it takes up way too much room in the stand and it's backward so, the sump in the picture is going in. It is literally a storage unit find from years ago and I finally took the time to clean it up and check for leaks. Since I am not going to run a fuge, just a chaeto reactor, I don't need the room. I believe orienting the plumbing the opposite of the way it is now will also quiet things down a bit.

I am also going to clean up some wires while I am at it. I will post a picture of the completed setup when done.
Is that an old trickle filter style sump? That is unique!

OP
OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is that an old trickle filter style sump? That is unique!

Yep! It had a $299 price tag on it and still had the bio balls in it. LOL. I don't think it had ever been used, honestly, it was just filthy.

Hey, when are we going to meet up? I think I need to return something to you. :confused:

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep! It had a $299 price tag on it and still had the bio balls in it. LOL. I don't think it had ever been used, honestly, it was just filthy.

Hey, when are we going to meet up? I think I need to return something to you. :confused:
When life slows down! Which for me should be soon, thankfully! I feel like I haven't had a normal 3 day stretch in months! ;Blackeye

OP
OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When life slows down! Which for me should be soon, thankfully! I feel like I haven't had a normal 3 day stretch in months! ;Blackeye

I hear ya! Between the stroke, surgery, constant doctor visits and trying to catch everything up from being off work, I think I saw myself going back home on 565 this morning on my way in! HAHAHAHAHA!

Just holler at me when you get the chance. I think you have my number.

OP
OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, I forgot the back story on the storage unit find. :)

About 9 years ago, I was offered to look through a storage unit in the middle of nowhere at "a bunch of fish junk". I was told it was unlocked and take what I wanted because the place was shutting down.
I didn't want to even bother, but, something said to go look anyway. I opened the door and it looked like a closed down aquarium shop! Literally, someone had setup a fish room in a 10x10 storage unit!
None of the tanks had water in them but were all hooked up (just unplugged) and some had remains of livestock in them. It had been so long, that there wasn't even a smell to them. ;Wideyed

So, I packed up everything I could in 4 trips in my old grand Cherokee and a trailer and took it all to the carport. I cleaned, water tested and redistributed almost everything used out of the lot (including the window unit AC that was being used to control the temp in the unit). There was ten 20 longs, six 20 highs and four 29s and even a 120, 135 and 150 gallon tank and stand which needed a pane of glass replaced(these poor things were stacked on top of each other!) .
I really wish I would have kept the 135 it had unusual dimensions 72*22*20.
I kept a bunch of unused stuff and things that I knew I could use. The last thing I have of it, is this sump. I have no clue why I would keep a trickle filter, but, I am glad I did!

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a great build. Not to mention a luck score find all that at no charge. Looking forward to following along.

OP
OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
new_equipment.jpg

OK so the plumbing/sump redo is complete!

And, yep!, it's much more quiet!

The stinking "Quiet One" pump is loud as hell though. It's not even touching the sump at all and it's loud.

Gonna have to find a more quiet pump.

The wires going into the conduit look like they are in the water but, I assure you, they are behind the sump.

Also did a power failure simulation and the water comes no where near the top of the sump. :D

OP
OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hard to get a picture of it, I will try when the light comes on but, the chaeto in my reactor is about double what it was Thursday! I would say it's a success thus far.

Just need to measure PO4 and Nitrates.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 24 28.9%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 19 22.9%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 22 26.5%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 18 21.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back