Would you consider this overstocked?

MONTANTK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently running the IM 20g drop off. The tank is scapes lightly with plenty of swimming room. Current stock includes:

-Pink Streak Wrasse
-Springeri Damsel
-Hectors Goby
-Blue Stripe Pipe

Id really love to add a small clown pair but I think it might be too much. Thoughts?

PokeFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah what kind of filtration do you have and are you seeing any kind of nuisance algae growth in your tank right now

OP
OP
MONTANTK

MONTANTK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah what kind of filtration do you have and are you seeing any kind of nuisance algae growth in your tank right now
What are you PO4 and NO3 levels and have they been consistent for awhile? What do you use to control PO4 & NO3?

No real filtration right now other than a sock. NO3 is 0 right now but fluctuates a little up to 4ppm and PO4 holds steady at .01ppm. I’ve been dosing Phyto which seems to keep the nutrient levels down. Algae growth is limited to some thicker hair algae on a snail shell and that’s about it

PokeFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No real filtration right now other than a sock. NO3 is 0 right now but fluctuates a little up to 4ppm and PO4 holds steady at .01ppm. I’ve been dosing Phyto which seems to keep the nutrient levels down. Algae growth is limited to some thicker hair algae on a snail shell and that’s about it
hmm thats interesting. I always thought phyto would bring nutrients up. I think if you haven't added fish in quite some time it should be fine, but even if bioload is not an issue, make sure there is enough room for them and their territorys

OP
OP
MONTANTK

MONTANTK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hmm thats interesting. I always thought phyto would bring nutrients up. I think if you haven't added fish in quite some time it should be fine, but even if bioload is not an issue, make sure there is enough room for them and their territorys
Honestly I’m trying to figure out what phyto really does because I see mixed reviews. Two times it seems to have gotten rid of Dinos for me. I noticed a slight spike in nutrients and then after nutrients dropped again. I stopped dosing as of today to see what if there are any changes

PokeFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly I’m trying to figure out what phyto really does because I see mixed reviews. Two times it seems to have gotten rid of Dinos for me. I noticed a slight spike in nutrients and then after nutrients dropped again. I stopped dosing as of today to see what if there are any changes
yeah i started dosing phyto and my dinos disappeared once, but now I'm getting small strands of dinos and they arent going away

OP
OP
MONTANTK

MONTANTK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m honestly more concerned about clown aggression than anything. A breeding pair of clowns can dominate tanks much larger than 20 gallons. One clown would be safer IME.
I would only do a pair, but they would be very small to start. In 2-3 years I’d move them into a larger tank.

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would only do a pair, but they would be very small to start. In 2-3 years I’d move them into a larger tank.
I thought the same, but they have a very short timetable before snapping. After only a few months, my extremely tiny female killed my male and is now a territorial monster. Even at a young age, clowns (and any damselfish) can be nasty.

OP
OP
MONTANTK

MONTANTK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought the same, but they have a very short timetable before snapping. After only a few months, my extremely tiny female killed my male and is now a territorial monster. Even at a young age, clowns (and any damselfish) can be nasty.
Interesting. Is it a Percula or an Ocellaris?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 19.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back