Would you hire someone or do it yourself?

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I am planning to install a water source in my dining room area near my tank. My plan is to build a coffee bar right next to the tank and install a sink there and have the RODI plumbed close by so I can make water for the ATO and automatic saltwater changes. I have a water line that runs right along the outside wall of my house. Sooo...the question is...how hard would that be to do myself? Or should I just hire a plumber?

I am also planning to install a drain line...and it's kind of the same scenario...I have access to a drain just on the other side of my tank's wall...sooo...same question.

crazyfishmom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends? How handy are you?

I would be piecing things with gum and scotch tape so id hire someone so my house doesn’t fall apart but you might be able to do it pretty easily. I get a feeling that you know how able you are if you’re even asking the question. How comfortable are you with that sort of stuff? Would it be cheaper? Probably. Would you be able to get it done with everything else you have going on and with the kind of quality that you’re hoping for?

topjimmy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much plumbing, and drywall repair have you done in the past? Cutting and soldering in a tee for the new line wouldn't be hard. Putting in a drain might be. Depends on what you have to tie into.

tzabor10

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not hard. Might be a bit wonky. I have tried and succeeded with may plumbing projects. Sometimes I call a plumber if it is over my head. Sometimes I try, don’t 100% succeed, then have the plumber come

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I am planning to install a water source in my dining room area near my tank. My plan is to build a coffee bar right next to the tank and install a sink there and have the RODI plumbed close by so I can make water for the ATO and automatic saltwater changes. I have a water line that runs right along the outside wall of my house. Sooo...the question is...how hard would that be to do myself? Or should I just hire a plumber?

I am also planning to install a drain line...and it's kind of the same scenario...I have access to a drain just on the other side of my tank's wall...sooo...same question.
For me, as handy as i am , in this instance is a Proven Handyman (lower cost) or plumber for assurance of completed work and liability

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I usually weigh my preference between the work involved, and just working extra hours at my job. Sometimes it’s easier to just work more and pay someone else to do it, but sometimes it’s in my wheelhouse of mechanical work. But my time is very valuable to me too.

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It isn't overly complex but it comes down to you being comfortable in doing it. Get some people you can bounce it off of …hint, hint… a reef forum..I won’t name names…will save yourself a nice chunk of change as well.

Last edited:

Asm481

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is your plan practical? My question refers mostly to running rodi for ato. If your plan is to run it a couple gallons at a time that is not practical. Short on/off cycles are bad for rodi systems. I waste the first half gallon or so each time I make water just to flush the system and get to 0 tds. Proper drains must have proper venting, might be the toughest part. Totally depends on exactly what you have.
That said, my house and me, I'd be whipping out the Sawzall and cutting into walls and roof and make it done. I've done it all and I am not a plumber.

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Is your plan practical? My question refers mostly to running rodi for ato. If your plan is to run it a couple gallons at a time that is not practical. Short on/off cycles are bad for rodi systems. I waste the first half gallon or so each time I make water just to flush the system and get to 0 tds. Proper drains must have proper venting, might be the toughest part. Totally depends on exactly what you have.
That said, my house and me, I'd be whipping out the Sawzall and cutting into walls and roof and make it done. I've done it all and I am not a plumber.
Should be. I'm planning to maintain a couple of reservoirs under my stand for RODI and SW.

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
demanding do it GIF

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Plumbing is a lot easier than it used to be. Really no need to sweat copper now that PEX is common. Drains are pretty simple, though you'd need to think about venting.

JayM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hard to say for sure without seeing what you have to work with, but I'd say DIY shouldn't be all that difficult. Shark Bite fittings for the supply will make for an easy job, and you probably won't need to add any additional venting for the waste line for the amount of water you'll be running through it. Drywall repair won't need to be pretty if you're going to be installing a cabinet.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sometimes I try, don’t 100% succeed, then have the plumber come
It usually costs more by that time. In my field we called it a stupidity charge lol.

EDIT: I'm not calling anyone stupid. Its just a term we used because most of the time a failed repair attempt by a customer usually required repairing the original problem plus fixing whatever the customer messed up. I don't pay anyone to do anything I can do myself.

Last edited:

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
IF…IF you decide to do this yourself, I would like to come film it for a R2R bloopers reel show! Ha!

Johnd651

Getting back in after 10+ years
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Depends on what's in there. PEX yes, you can do it. Copper, yes but with some skill (they have shark bite but I don't like the idea of burying that in a wall. )

Drainage is just like gluing tank pvc.

Drywall, if you have basic woodworking skill to create some blocking you might even be able to reuse the piece you cut out.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Depends on what's in there. PEX yes, you can do it. Copper, yes but with some skill (they have shark bite but I don't like the idea of burying that in a wall. )

Drainage is just like gluing tank pvc.

Drywall, if you have basic woodworking skill to create some blocking you might even be able to reuse the piece you cut out.
I can even plumb with PEX! Ha!

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks guys! I'll try to get some pictures today of what I'm working with outside and inside. I think it's probably going to be simple to do. I may need some guidance from some of you DIY savvy people.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 69 75.8%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 12.1%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 6.6%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%

Back