Wrasse compatibility

Lofr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
93g reef cube is just shy of 3 months. Recognize the limitation on fish due to the size and am trying to be as informed as possible as to which fish I choose, while still getting those that I find most appealing. That said, I have a 4-line wrasse that is doing great and would love to have a clown fairy as well. A guy at the LFS cautioned me about these being 'conspecific'. I understand this can be an issue with several fish species. When I read articles on this forum (and compatibility charts), however, I see aquarists have many types of wrasse in their tank. I'd sure appreciate other's thoughts on adding a clown fairy.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Four line wrasses and clown fairy wrasses are not conspecifics. Conspecific is just a fancy word for same species. However, the genus that fourline wrasses belong to, Pseudocheilinus, do not mix well with other peaceful wrasses. So a clown fairy wrasse would not be a good fit.

norfolkgarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 93 gallon tank should give you some wonderful fish choices to work with.

Unfortunately the 4 line, or a 6 line or 8 line are total PITA and will severely limit you on some truly beautiful fish.

Our six line should live at least another 6 or 7 years.... [emoji19]

Dump it before you feel a strong sense of loyalty to the fish...

OP
OP
Lofr

Lofr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for your response. The other fish currently are a midnight clown, one-spot foxface, Bicolor pseudochromis, coral beauty angel, and a pajama cardinal. Corals are some zoas, acans, mushrooms, and a favia, all small frags.

OP
OP
Lofr

Lofr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well darn! And I thought I was being so careful in fish selections.... what is the problem with the bicolor? On the coral, I forgot a galaxea and a duncan.

OP
OP
Lofr

Lofr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 93 gallon tank should give you some wonderful fish choices to work with.

Unfortunately the 4 line, or a 6 line or 8 line are total PITA and will severely limit you on some truly beautiful fish.

Our six line should live at least another 6 or 7 years.... [emoji19]

Dump it before you feel a strong sense of loyalty to the fish...

On the email above, the bicolor is a problem as well, it seems like the choices of fish to work with are sure becoming limited.

Eddie7144

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's true pseudos can be aggressive, but usually , from the ones I have kept its more about territory, if a fish he dobt like gets to close to it's cave , watch out ! Other than that if he is our swimming around it don't bother no one. Its an orchid dotty back.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's true pseudos can be aggressive, but usually , from the ones I have kept its more about territory, if a fish he dobt like gets to close to it's cave , watch out ! Other than that if he is our swimming around it don't bother no one. Its an orchid dotty back.
Orchid dottybacks are one of the most peaceful dottybacks

Fairy and flasher wrasses sleep in the rockwork at night, and this is when they have some of the most significant run-ins with dottybacks.

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

mredwin25

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A naoko’s, a Lubbock, a pintail and flame wrasses together? Ok to do?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 31.9%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 25.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 17 18.7%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 24.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back