sbash

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys, here we go...

Simple Question:
Are these wrasses compatible together in a 125 gallon mixed reef: 6 line, 12 line, Yellow Coris or Green Coris?

Context:
I have a green coris already in my 220 gallon, wonderful fish. However, my split system (70 and a 90) seem to be infected by montipora eating nudibranchs. This is very bad, because they are my sale and grow tanks (respectively). Now, I only see one nudi a week, that is still too much. Up until now, they have stayed in the 70 gallon (clearly came in on a frag), but last night I found one in the 90 gallon.

Since I can't realistically catch the coris I have in the 220, I want to get a couple more wrasses to put in the two tanks.

Plot Twist:
I need to rip these tanks down and merge them in a few months (as detailed here: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/moving-a-large-system-twice-in-one-year.545482/). Thus ensuring long term compatibility is important.

However, one of the three wrasses can go into a frag tank (50 gallon Low Boy), so worse case only two would need to be compatible.

This also means they only need to be compatible for 9-10 months, so, for example, if a couple small 6 lines will suit my needs for my immediate problem and not get crazy aggressive until they mature, that might be the way to go.

Conclusion:
I look forward to your thoughts!

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed with the above, Get one of the smaller Halichoeres Wrasses and you will get a much better tank mate and still get pest removal help (ie Yellow Coris, Red-Lined, An H.Claudia Christmas Wrasse, Melanurus). They will pick off smaller inverts but will leave corals alone.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree skip the six line and the twelve — they aren’t compatible nor play well with other wrasse - particularly the sixline.

I’d get some flasher, fairy, and maybe another halichoeres wrasse instead. If you don’t get overly aggressive halichoeres species some leopard wrasse are an amazing addition too if you don’t have overly aggressive tankmates.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fairy and flasher wrasses won't help with pests.

Sixlines don't coexist well with other wrasses.

12line? Are you referring to a juvie melanurus? If so, that would be fine. If a Pseudocheilinus species, they don't do well with other wrasses.

Green coris wrasses get big, lose their bright color, get aggressive, and stop eating pests.

Sticking with small Halichoeres species is your best bet.

OP
OP
sbash

sbash

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great, thanks everyone! I'll order a Yellow Coris and a Melanurus then.

I only have the green because it was the only wrasse in my city at the time and I was cleaning up some zoa eating nudis. He is getting pretty big, so I'll put him in the frag tank and keep the other two in my main display when the time comes.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 160 44.1%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 126 34.7%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 54 14.9%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 18 5.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.4%
Back