Wrasse Experts! Inconsistent Colors on Flasher Wrasses + Recommendations?

TSM Aquatics

i cant think

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
So by this you mean they basically will stay the muted color going forward but that the color you do see will be on their fins when they flash then, right?

I'm trying to figure out, then, for other species what their "standard" colors are as opposed to the exceptional specimens / edited pictures that are available online- been quite the challenge for some species!
Yeah, when they flash they colour up drastically. Blue flashers are beautiful but you really need to see them flash to appreciate them.

Coral Mania

i cant think

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Are their colors drastically improved with a female? Or will a single male do ok? That's what's keeping me off the Linneatus right now- apparently they fade without a female and/or never become a super male without one?
The term “Super male” is tossed around a ton. There’s no definite definition other than “A male with a vibrant colour pattern”, certain wrasses fade much more than others will though. Colours are nicely improved with females however, any female will turn male even with a male being in the tank already. Due to this, it’s much more recommended to have males of different species with eachother. However, when you mix them with eachother you have to make sure they aren’t similar otherwise you may have one stress the other too much. A single male will remain rather dull, fairy wrasses may help to bring flashing out aswell. I know my lot will flash at eachother and assert dominance.

i cant think

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Ah ok so like anthias, I'll stick to one then. Now just to choose one, recommendations especially from personal experience welcome!
Personally I’d pick from;
Carpenteri - Carpenters
Mccoskeri - Mccoskers
Filamentosus - Filamented
Cyanea - Blue
Angulatus - Royal

I’d personally go for either a Cyanea or an Angulatus as theyre beautiful when they flash (Especially the Cyanea). Also Angulatus has a different body shape to most Paracheilinus species.

Aquarium Specialty - dry goods & marine livestock
TSM Aquatics

How close to perfect, for you, is your reef aquarium?

• IT'S PERFECT NOW

Votes: 4 2.9%
  • It's getting close

Votes: 20 14.7%
  • It's about half way there

Votes: 23 16.9%
  • It's slow but progressing

Votes: 44 32.4%
  • It's not even close

Votes: 40 29.4%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 5 3.7%