Wrasse for a 20 gallon?

LukeSivyer45

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 20 gallon can definitely handle another fish. I have 2 clowns and a royal gramma. I love wrasses swimming styles however there are alot of opinions on tank size. With sand my tank is 19 by 14 by 14. I have heard people keeping sixlines and fairy wrasses in 20 gallons and even in a fluval evo 13.5 a yellow or silver belly wrasse. Ive only seen in my lfs pink streak, fairy, sixline and halichoeres. So what are your opinions on any of these for my tank? I think from reading that fairy and sixlines are out but I would like to hear your advice before I buy one.

BiggestE222

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
6-line. Need to add pods or have a mature tank with at least 30 pounds of live rock. Don’t add any other fish afterwards.

SchrutesReefs

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally would NOT add a sixline to a 20g. Might be ok for a while but when he grows and needs to be removed. Best of luck catching him. I love my pink streaked. Picks at the rocks like a sixline does. Possums are cool as well.

OP
OP
L

LukeSivyer45

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How cryptic is a pink streak as I would like to see it the majority of the time.

Calm Blue Ocean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How cryptic is a pink streak as I would like to see it the majority of the time.

My pink streak took a while to settle in. At the beginning she hid a lot but now she is one of my most active swimmers. She really uses the whole tank - top, bottom, caves, open water, corners, corals - that fish is everywhere! Really nice addition to the tank and a family favorite.

Calm Blue Ocean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do they do with competitive eaters.

I have mine in a 50g with a Red-Lined Wrasse, two clowns, a YWG, and a Midas Blenny. The Red-Lined Wrasse and Blenny are food hogs but my Pink Streak holds her own in the chaos. Although I also have a pretty solid 'pod population so the wrasses snack all day between feedings.

OP
OP
L

LukeSivyer45

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have mine in a 50g with a Red-Lined Wrasse, two clowns, a YWG, and a Midas Blenny. The Red-Lined Wrasse and Blenny are food hogs but my Pink Streak holds her own in the chaos. Although I also have a pretty solid 'pod population so the wrasses snack all day between feedings.
I have dosed about 500ml worth of pods in about 6 months, when would be a good time to get one because i want to have a descent population as like a ‘backup’ food source incase he doesnt eat prepared food at the start.

Calm Blue Ocean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have dosed about 500ml worth of pods in about 6 months, when would be a good time to get one because i want to have a descent population as like a ‘backup’ food source incase he doesnt eat prepared food at the start.

I haven't had any issues getting my pink streak to eat prepared foods, in fact I'm often surprised at the variety of things she does happily eat, from pellets to a variety of frozen (including brine and even mysis). Just my own experience of course but she's not the type of fish to decimate your pod population, they are more just another thing to add to her daily activity. My red-lined wrasse on the other hand can put away a lot of pods!

OP
OP
L

LukeSivyer45

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't had any issues getting my pink streak to eat prepared foods, in fact I'm often surprised at the variety of things she does happily eat, from pellets to a variety of frozen (including brine and even mysis). Just my own experience of course but she's not the type of fish to decimate your pod population, they are more just another thing to add to her daily activity. My red-lined wrasse on the other hand can put away a lot of pods!
Ok I’ll be on the hunt for one of these pink streak wrasses, thanks for the help everyone!

Back