Wrasse lovers, spill your secrets!

ilikefish69

Kind of a Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am looking into getting the fourth fish for my mixed reed 75g standard. Home to two bonded clowns and a kole tang. They’re the three best friends that anyone could have.

fishy #4 is going to be a wrasse. I love how they fly around the tank, and would really compliment the 6-7” kole tang with some size variation.

every part of me is interested in the leopard wrasse. I have heard they are hard to feed, however. LFS has one in their display and she is fat and healthy, but they won’t sell her to me lol. She’s part of the LFS DT. I also have interest in the MYSTERY wrasse due to the bright coloration.

what to expect, what to prepare for, any wrasse that I have left out (well I only included 2) of the conversation, all help is appreciated.

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Leopard wrasses are labeled as difficult because it can be tough getting them acclimated to captive life, it can be difficult to get them to eat prepared foods, and they don't handle shipping well. But if you can find a leopard at your LFS that has been there for over a week and is active, looks healthy, and eating prepared foods then they're not difficult to keep.
If you can't find a leopard locally, a good option is to buy one online that has been conditioned or quarantined. These leopards have been in captivity for awhile so they've adapted to tank life, are eating, and are more robust so they can handle shipping better.

A mystery wrasse is a good choice for your tank if it's the only wrasse you plan on keeping (which is doubtful because wrasse addiction is real lol). Once a mystery wrasse becomes established they usually don't tolerate other wrasses.

I didn't see a lid on your tank in your build thread. If you don't have one yet you'll need to get one before you add a wrasse. All wrasses can jump so a lid made of screen or mesh is preferable so they don't injure themselves bouncing off of a hard lid. Mine get so excited at feeding time they ping pong themselves off my lid multiple times a day.

Hope this helps!

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Leopard wrasses are labeled as difficult because it can be tough getting them acclimated to captive life, it can be difficult to get them to eat prepared foods, and they don't handle shipping well. But if you can find a leopard at your LFS that has been there for over a week and is active, looks healthy, and eating prepared foods then they're not difficult to keep.
If you can't find a leopard locally, a good option is to buy one online that has been conditioned or quarantined. These leopards have been in captivity for awhile so they've adapted to tank life, are eating, and are more robust so they can handle shipping better.

A mystery wrasse is a good choice for your tank if it's the only wrasse you plan on keeping (which is doubtful because wrasse addiction is real lol). Once a mystery wrasse becomes established they usually don't tolerate other wrasses.

I didn't see a lid on your tank in your build thread. If you don't have one yet you'll need to get one before you add a wrasse. All wrasses can jump so a lid made of screen or mesh is preferable so they don't injure themselves bouncing off of a hard lid. Mine get so excited at feeding time they ping pong themselves off my lid multiple times a day.

Hope this helps!
You just kept anyone else from providing advice lol. You listed it all!!!!

Kidding, but this is very informative and I know only part of the wealth of knowledge you have on wrasse.

And you are right, wrasse addiction is real. I blame you and @Crabby48 for me now having way too many lol.

Sorry, couldnt help pick at ya today. On a boring conf call as usual lol.

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Kidding, but this is very informative and I know only part of the wealth of knowledge you have on wrasse.

And you are right, wrasse addiction is real. I blame you and @Crabby48 for me now having way too many lol.

I actually had to shorten my response bc I can drone on about wrasses, no one wants to read a long post.

There's no twelve-step program for wrasse addiction lol you'll have it for life... you're welcome :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

OP
OP
ilikefish69

ilikefish69

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually had to shorten my response bc I can drone on about wrasses, no one wants to read a long post.

There's no twelve-step program for wrasse addiction lol you'll have it for life... you're welcome :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:
The visual of your fish doinking their head on a lid made me smile on the inside, lol!!

yes no lid yet, with the way the tank & overflow are set up there’s about 3” of space between the top and the water surface. Not opposed to getting a lid but what are the chances I could stay topless with that much space?

didn’t know that about mystery wrasse, kind of sad but makes sense how they can keep multiple together at LFS as they’re probably in and out of the tank before they establish territory/pecking order. That should be talked about more, how LFS tanks can host odd duos or groups because of the short timeframe.

LFS only has the one leopard, it zips zips zips alll over that tank, so it is healthy, but very adamant about it never going home with me so lame

the kole tang was all but dead when I shipped it and it was in transit less than 24 hrs. Felt guilty about it afterwards, not sure how I feel about shipping any more fish :( she is currently happy, thriving, and fat as ever. Maybe I’ll see if I can’t find someone local who has one or a few and I could trade some coral or something.

any good third options?

OP
OP
ilikefish69

ilikefish69

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Top of tank relative to water level. I won’t have my feelings hurt if u just say “get a lid idiot” not trying to seem argumentative but truly curious if it makes a difference

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 18

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Top of tank relative to water level. I won’t have my feelings hurt if u just say “get a lid idiot” not trying to seem argumentative but truly curious if it makes a difference
It does. I have a ton or wrasse and a ton of space at the top of the tank as well. Until I got a lid, I would have random jumper during feeding time from time to time. I got lucky and did not lose one (thankfully, I love my critters lol).

After the last few times, I was fed up and ordered a custom lid for my tank. This is a tad bit more expensive, but you can get it made to have cutouts for cords and other things. I have a lot fo things coming out of my tank that cannot be seen, but have a lot of cords lol.

Then there is the DIY option. Numerous kits out there if you are looking to save a few bucks and they still work just fine. You will just need the screen frame, the screen and quite a few extra 90 degree pieces for the trim. The extra pieces will allow you to make the frame to where it can fit around your overflow, power cables, etc. Little time and elbow grease and it is not too bad to make one.

I got my screen cover/lid from @Kraken Reef and could not be happier. If your tank is a standard tank, they actually have lids setup for them right off the bat, so you know it will fit. Just get a few cutouts added and boom, done.

SchrutesReefs

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am only chiming in because I also heart wrasses. I also side with “team lid”
I have a flasher, fairy, pink streak, and six line. We all know which one the jerk is, but I like the compatible wrasses over the “one and only” issues

OP
OP
ilikefish69

ilikefish69

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’m super gangster and have a HOB filter repurposed as a return nozzle from my refugium. I wanted to not worry about siphoning when I turned stuff off, and this is finally how I achieved it. It does however keep the lid that came with it from fitting so I’d have to do the DIY option but I do enjoy that type of thing. Don’t make fun of the gangster set up, I made a huge mess when return line was dropped in the DT, siphon caused about 20g of water to end up on floor

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 18

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would never call any one an idiot and I’m not always right so I welcome discussion :) but on the topic of lids and wrasses it’s a must for their safety so I would advise that if you can’t have a lid then you should pass on getting a wrasse.

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Addiction is real bit there is somewhat of a cure. Just get them all.

polyppal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But if you can find a leopard at your LFS that has been there for over a week and is active, looks healthy, and eating prepared foods then they're not difficult to keep.
yup, this is the only way I’ve had success w Leopards. Have your shop bring it in, put a deposit or hold on it for a week, come back and if it’s active and eating then you might go for it

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 98 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back