Wrasse Quarantine

VJV

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can tell you the use of copper power and the Hanna checker have made this so much easier for me. I raise the tank .25ppm per day until reaching my target of 1.75ppm. All of the current Wrasse are eating as if copper is non-existent.

I ave asked Hanna in the past and they told me that their Copper checker would not work in saltwater. Maybe worth checking with another test kit or contact Hanna to be sure you are getting correct readings.

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ave asked Hanna in the past and they told me that their Copper checker would not work in saltwater. Maybe worth checking with another test kit or contact Hanna to be sure you are getting correct readings.

The low range checker is not suitable. The high range checker is indeed validated by Hanna.

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

VJV

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is awesome! A big reefin’ thank you [emoji120] for your effort.

Only issue in my case, as I use Cupramine, 0,05ppm is actually 10% of a full dose... or 20% of a medium dose...

I raise it by 0,1 or 0,05 increments depending on the fish so it may only make sense to use to check when I am at an expected 35ppm to see if I am close to the mark. On the other hand the typical blue scale test kits are completely impossible to read anywhere near this accurate so I guess it is still a plus.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Mfreddy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is awesome! A big reefin’ thank you [emoji120] for your effort.

Only issue in my case, as I use Cupramine, 0,05ppm is actually 10% of a full dose... or 20% of a medium dose...

I raise it by 0,1 or 0,05 increments depending on the fish so it may only make sense to use to check when I am at an expected 35ppm to see if I am close to the mark. On the other hand the typical blue scale test kits are completely impossible to read anywhere near this accurate so I guess it is still a plus.

Thanks!
BRS says the Hanna checker is good for fresh and salt. Using it to check copper power levels in my QT

Salty Irishman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can use prazipro and metro instead of general cure. You just won't want to use them together at the same time.

General Cure contains praziquantel which is same as prazipro, it is a slightly lesser dose which tends to be less harsh on Wrasse. It also contains metronidazole, which is same as metroplex. So for QT purposes it's nice being able to use GC due to the fact that the meds are both powder form and can be used together.

The seachem test kit may read copper power at the low levels. But the test only reads up to 1.0ppm. So you will need the API kit to monitor the level once you are at the therapeutic level of 1.5ppm-2.0ppm.
I have a fairy wrasse in QT and was treating for ich with copper power and am only on day 3 @ 1.78ppm. Did a freshwater dip as fish was def going downhill and realized he also has flukes. Should I do a massive water change and switch over to GC? Which is worse, ich or flukes? This guy has a lot going on (pic attached of water post bath) and freshwater was RO/DI w/matched ph and temp. Just not certain how to proceed. Thx for your help!
IMG_6014-1.jpg

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would go ahead and dose GC with copper if you think its necessary I would not bail on the copper treatment. Those are definitely flukes. How many came off the fish?

Salty Irishman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would go ahead and dose GC with copper if you think its necessary I would not bail on the copper treatment. Those are definitely flukes. How many came off the fish?
I would say around 10-15 flukes for sure. Lots of smaller things came off as well, not sure what they were but I was floored at what was in the water after about 3.5 min. Stirred the water and shot a quick video of what came off him here.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 22 15.6%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 65 46.1%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 47 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back