Wrasse selection opinions?

jcbasile

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everybody,

I have a 45 gallon tank currently with a clownfish, royal gramma and yellow watchmen goby. I will soon be adding a tailspot blenny and hopefully, a wrasse as well. As far as wrasse, I want to add something to the tank that aside from looking good will also cleanup pests and have a "job" if you will. I would also like it to be reef safe without too much worry about bothering corals or my cuc. I have so far been looking into either a yellow coris wrasse, possum wrasse, or my first choice, a pink streaked wrasse (which have proven hard to find).

So, what are some thoughts on which of those or any not listed that would be the best?

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just hold out for the pink streak. It will be all that more rewarding when you get one. They are lovely fish. Diver's den actually had one a few days ago and it didn't even sell immediately. You can definitely acquire one with some patience and signing up for emails and so on.

OP
OP
jcbasile

jcbasile

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just hold out for the pink streak. It will be all that more rewarding when you get one. They are lovely fish. Diver's den actually had one a few days ago and it didn't even sell immediately. You can definitely acquire one with some patience and signing up for emails and so on.
Good to hear that, I really want to go the pink streaked route but since I haven't seen any I wanted to explore other options. Maybe I will just wait and stick with that

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In that sized tank Id hold out for the pink streak. Might get away with a small yellow coris for a while but it'll eventually need bigger. 6 Line would work too but add last and dont expect luck with adding anything else after it.

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
because its not really a IF they will turn evil - its WHEN.
its an eventuality rather than a possibility.

like - PROPER A Holes.

Had a few over many years in the hobby, always a model citizen not paying attention to anything else in the tank. Perhaps because everybody else was always bigger than the 6-line. IDK, can't really complain.

xaflatoonx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
basically they turn aggressive... not just to new fish in tank but even ones already in it.

i got a six line to eliminate a worm problem. Definitely did what he needed to do.
5 months in - he started chasing random fish...

and they are SMART and FAST fish.

i bought a fish trap and tried to catch him for a week. Every fish i had in a 280 went in and ate food from the trap except for this guy....

Eventually he has stopped chasing fish - for now - so i have stopped trying to catch him.
But i am expecting him to turn into that evil a** again any day - and then i will be trying to catch him again.

we are in this constant cycle of cat and mouse / human and fish now.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to hear that, I really want to go the pink streaked route but since I haven't seen any I wanted to explore other options. Maybe I will just wait and stick with that

My email for them in stock goes off every now and again. Though it is usually goes off early AM. Be sure to sign up on blue zoo too and check DD too. The DD one showed up near the time the in stock alert went off.

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I have a hoven's wrasse in one of my temporary tanks, very active, very personable, eats out of hand and eats like a pig.

I actually call him/her piggy.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, the pinkstreak was $90 on DD vs $60 elsewhere. Personally 30 dollars isn't a big deal to me if it's a fish I can't find elsewhere. $30 is like a cheap date night and a fish will bring years of entertainment.

Dr Jimmy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a melanurus, splendid pintail fairy, and McCosker's Flasher... all very nice

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 17 28.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 33.9%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 17 28.8%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 4 6.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.7%
Back