Wrasse stocking

melanarus

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Dec 22, 2022
Messages
36
Reaction score
18
Location
New Hampshire
What state or country do you live in
New Hampshire
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Planning out stocking for a 120g reef tank with a sand bed. I'm thinking about 4 wrasses and wondering if they will be compatible.

1x melanarus
1x McCosker
1x leopard (Macropharyngodon meleagris)
1x leopard (Macropharyngodon bipartitus)

Any potential issues here?

Thanks!
 
Planning out stocking for a 120g reef tank with a sand bed. I'm thinking about 4 wrasses and wondering if they will be compatible.

1x melanarus
1x McCosker
1x leopard (Macropharyngodon meleagris)
1x leopard (Macropharyngodon bipartitus)

Any potential issues here?

Thanks!
Nope. Looks great

@i cant think may be a ale to give you a far better list of wrasse to get. You could get way more then 4
 
Planning out stocking for a 120g reef tank with a sand bed. I'm thinking about 4 wrasses and wondering if they will be compatible.

1x melanarus
1x McCosker
1x leopard (Macropharyngodon meleagris)
1x leopard (Macropharyngodon bipartitus)

Any potential issues here?

Thanks!
How many fish do you plan in total?

I have a 4’x2’x2’ reef with 6-7 wrasses total (19 fish altogether), you can definitely have more than just that!
It just depends on what will be larger growing fish you own.
 
The only issue would be that leopards are relatively difficult fishes. I would try to find them eating at a store.

Oh, another issue is no fairies on the list.:)
 
Planning on 12-14 fish total. It's also a 4'x'2'x2'
If you don’t plan on too many larger growing fish (I personally have 2-3 6-7” fish but my others remain closer to 4-5” at max size).
I would aim for 6-7 wrasses if I’m honest but I do love wrasses a lot. Mixing it up with maybe 2-3 of different genera is the best way if I’m honest. I’d go for some from the Halichoeres genus (the Melanurus and possibly a H. iridis), then a mix of Paracheilinus and Cirrhilabrus species (the P. attenuatus is one I would have to have personally), then to top off the sand sleepers I’d mix in Anampses and Macropharyngodon (A. neoguinaicus and M. negrosensis would be 2 I’d go for personally).
 

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 3 4.7%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 5 7.8%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 14 21.9%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 16 25.0%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 14.1%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 2 3.1%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 8 12.5%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 6 9.4%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new