Wrasse suggestion

Foxchase

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are there any wrasse that would be reef and invert safe? I do have shrimp.

Anchor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fairy wrasses, Flasher wrasses and 6 line.. that I know of.. Flashers are not as effective as the 6 line for hunting down pest though.. But a lot of colorful ones available. Be sure to have a screen or a top to prevent jumping in either case.

I have a yellow coris, a 6 line, a Christmas, Solon fairy, Katherines fairy. The solon is the best price on the fairy's though there are cheaper ones. the 6 line is the cheapest of all that I know of.

OP
OP
Foxchase

Foxchase

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fairy wrasses, Flasher wrasses and 6 line.. that I know of.. Flashers are not as effective as the 6 line for hunting down pest though.. But a lot of colorful ones available. Be sure to have a screen or a top to prevent jumping in either case.

I have a yellow coris, a 6 line, a Christmas, Solon fairy, Katherines fairy. The solon is the best price on the fairy's though there are cheaper ones. the 6 line is the cheapest of all that I know of.
I like the 6 line but a lot of people have told me about theirs eating their cleaner shrimps

codycolina707

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the 6 line but a lot of people have told me about theirs eating their cleaner shrimps
i dont see how a sixline could eat a cleaner shrimp my skunk cleaners are decent size and have never had a problem with my sixline even a couple peppermints no problem

Anchor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i dont see how a sixline could eat a cleaner shrimp my skunk cleaners are decent size and have never had a problem with my sixline even a couple peppermints no problem

maybe after a molt but otherwise.. I dont think so.. Mine is about 2.5 inches and just a tad smaller than the shrimp. ANd I have never seen the 6 line even try to bother the shrimp.

Copingwithpods

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not so much as can they but will they? They pick at them to death. Do all 6 line do this? No! Are they capable of it? Yes! I had a sixline who only picked on fish, other have had the opposite, just know what you're getting into.

OP
OP
Foxchase

Foxchase

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about a Royal Flasher Wrasse? Are they any less aggressive? Maybe a little more invert safe? My lfs has one for $50. Is that a good price for it?

Anchor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never seen nor heard of any flasher or fairy wrasse going after inverts.. Nor have I heard of a 6 line going after inverts..
It's not so much as can they but will they? They pick at them to death. Do all 6 line do this? No! Are they capable of it? Yes! I had a sixline who only picked on fish, other have had the opposite, just know what you're getting into.

Seriously, I would think that if you know of a 6 line picking at inverts "to death" that is an exception and not a rule. I dont know of any site that sells them that does not have them under the "reef safe" moniker. But I have been wrong before and will be again.. I guess we should ask umm that wrasse guy.. forget his name..

Anchor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Royal Flasher - Paracheilinus angulatus. gets to about 4 or 5 inches I think.. $50 is about right. What size tank have you got if I may ask? And have you looked up/googled that fish to see what it looks like as an adult.. ?

Again, Flashers, Fairies and the 6 line.. Reef/invert safe.

another reef safe wrasse would be the wetmorella genus.

Marsh980

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
6 line wrasses can be nasty little sods. I recommend avoiding those if you want a peaceful reef. There are so many wrasses out there so why take the gamble.

I’ve got the below in my reef tank and have numerous shrimps:

Yellow Coris
Yellow tailed tamarin
Blue Streak Cleaner wrasse
Red line wrasse

Do you have a lid over your tank as wrasses are notorious jumpers

OP
OP
Foxchase

Foxchase

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
6 line wrasses can be nasty little sods. I recommend avoiding those if you want a peaceful reef. There are so many wrasses out there so why take the gamble.

Yellow Coris
Yellow tailed tamarin
Red line wrasse

Yes I do. What are your thoughts on the royal flasher Wrasse?

Angel_Anthias lover

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This thread may help

OP
OP
Foxchase

Foxchase

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Yellow Coris
Yellow tailed tamarin
Red line wrasse

This is the one. It says royal flasher Wrasse. Is there a different name to it? I'm having some difficulty finding much on it under that name

20200607_123906.jpg

OP
OP
Foxchase

Foxchase

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are peaceful reef friendly wrasses. A great choice. I’ve been keeping my eyes open for some lovely flasher and fairy wrasses
He has videos on his Instagram of them and they are gorgeous

Back