Wrasse suggestion

Foxchase

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are there any wrasse that would be reef and invert safe? I do have shrimp.

Anchor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fairy wrasses, Flasher wrasses and 6 line.. that I know of.. Flashers are not as effective as the 6 line for hunting down pest though.. But a lot of colorful ones available. Be sure to have a screen or a top to prevent jumping in either case.

I have a yellow coris, a 6 line, a Christmas, Solon fairy, Katherines fairy. The solon is the best price on the fairy's though there are cheaper ones. the 6 line is the cheapest of all that I know of.

OP
OP
Foxchase

Foxchase

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fairy wrasses, Flasher wrasses and 6 line.. that I know of.. Flashers are not as effective as the 6 line for hunting down pest though.. But a lot of colorful ones available. Be sure to have a screen or a top to prevent jumping in either case.

I have a yellow coris, a 6 line, a Christmas, Solon fairy, Katherines fairy. The solon is the best price on the fairy's though there are cheaper ones. the 6 line is the cheapest of all that I know of.
I like the 6 line but a lot of people have told me about theirs eating their cleaner shrimps

codycolina707

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the 6 line but a lot of people have told me about theirs eating their cleaner shrimps
i dont see how a sixline could eat a cleaner shrimp my skunk cleaners are decent size and have never had a problem with my sixline even a couple peppermints no problem

Anchor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i dont see how a sixline could eat a cleaner shrimp my skunk cleaners are decent size and have never had a problem with my sixline even a couple peppermints no problem

maybe after a molt but otherwise.. I dont think so.. Mine is about 2.5 inches and just a tad smaller than the shrimp. ANd I have never seen the 6 line even try to bother the shrimp.

Copingwithpods

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not so much as can they but will they? They pick at them to death. Do all 6 line do this? No! Are they capable of it? Yes! I had a sixline who only picked on fish, other have had the opposite, just know what you're getting into.

OP
OP
Foxchase

Foxchase

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about a Royal Flasher Wrasse? Are they any less aggressive? Maybe a little more invert safe? My lfs has one for $50. Is that a good price for it?

Anchor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never seen nor heard of any flasher or fairy wrasse going after inverts.. Nor have I heard of a 6 line going after inverts..
It's not so much as can they but will they? They pick at them to death. Do all 6 line do this? No! Are they capable of it? Yes! I had a sixline who only picked on fish, other have had the opposite, just know what you're getting into.

Seriously, I would think that if you know of a 6 line picking at inverts "to death" that is an exception and not a rule. I dont know of any site that sells them that does not have them under the "reef safe" moniker. But I have been wrong before and will be again.. I guess we should ask umm that wrasse guy.. forget his name..

Anchor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Royal Flasher - Paracheilinus angulatus. gets to about 4 or 5 inches I think.. $50 is about right. What size tank have you got if I may ask? And have you looked up/googled that fish to see what it looks like as an adult.. ?

Again, Flashers, Fairies and the 6 line.. Reef/invert safe.

another reef safe wrasse would be the wetmorella genus.

Marsh980

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
6 line wrasses can be nasty little sods. I recommend avoiding those if you want a peaceful reef. There are so many wrasses out there so why take the gamble.

I’ve got the below in my reef tank and have numerous shrimps:

Yellow Coris
Yellow tailed tamarin
Blue Streak Cleaner wrasse
Red line wrasse

Do you have a lid over your tank as wrasses are notorious jumpers

OP
OP
Foxchase

Foxchase

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
6 line wrasses can be nasty little sods. I recommend avoiding those if you want a peaceful reef. There are so many wrasses out there so why take the gamble.

Yellow Coris
Yellow tailed tamarin
Red line wrasse

Yes I do. What are your thoughts on the royal flasher Wrasse?

Angel_Anthias lover

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This thread may help

OP
OP
Foxchase

Foxchase

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Yellow Coris
Yellow tailed tamarin
Red line wrasse

This is the one. It says royal flasher Wrasse. Is there a different name to it? I'm having some difficulty finding much on it under that name

20200607_123906.jpg

OP
OP
Foxchase

Foxchase

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are peaceful reef friendly wrasses. A great choice. I’ve been keeping my eyes open for some lovely flasher and fairy wrasses
He has videos on his Instagram of them and they are gorgeous

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 14 28.6%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 40 81.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 14.3%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 3 6.1%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.1%
Back