Wrasse Swimbladder Issue

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@zibba You've certainly gone above & beyond for this fish, and I commend you for that. :D But to be honest, I don't think any good will come from treating with erythromycin next. The antibiotics found in Furan-2 and Kanaplex should have already taken care of any infection that erythromycin would treat. Plus, erythromycin can cause stomach pain & appetite supression (possible side effects.) So, if your wrasse is still eating I would hate to see him stop and get weaker.

I think you've done all you can do and it's time to just see what happens next. Hard to do I know. :( I would do another WC, run carbon, continue to hand feed your fish and just hope he will eventually make a full recovery. Sorry ... I wish I had more insight to offer.

zibba

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to know re: erythro. Glad I asked.

I know it has to come to a point where we just let the fish either get better or pass on.

We'll continue to hand-feed and hope for the best. As always, thanks for you encouragement and insight!

OP
OP
Marquiseo

Marquiseo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sad news....he didn't make it. I just arrived home to him dead.

After Action Review -

I think I could have saved him if I had started treatment early in the beginning stages but due to travel and not knowing what was happening, I caught it too late. It was a parasite issue that caused the swimbladder to fail. I came to this conclusion based on comparison between zibba's fish and mine: 1) started upside down on the bottom of the tank instead of at the water line 2) did not release air when I used needle decompression 3) had stringy white poop and did not eat.

Also, I won't get another. Too much money lost on this species. I may just stick to what I know best which are anthias but I will still continue with my other wrasses.

zibba

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also sorry to hear. You gave it a great effort.

I'm afraid ours will suffer the same fate. It is still essentially lifeless on the floor of the QT, just breathing and looking around. Has not eaten much the past two days and I noticed white-stringy poo this morning, which isn't a good sign.

OP
OP
Marquiseo

Marquiseo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also sorry to hear. You gave it a great effort.

I'm afraid ours will suffer the same fate. It is still essentially lifeless on the floor of the QT, just breathing and looking around. Has not eaten much the past two days and I noticed white-stringy poo this morning, which isn't a good sign.
That sucks. I hope yours pull through.

zibba

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The mouth looks to be deteriorating now or at least there's a sore. It really didn't eat, maybe inhaled a very small amount but not sure if any of it got into the stomach. It's not moving at all and simply settles to the bottom when released from "hand feeding."

Awful feeling. We're thinking it's time to pull the proverbial plug. We're going to give it one or two more days max.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's so sad and frustrating..

zibba

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: Sorry to report that ours died overnight on Friday and we found it on Saturday morning.

Like @Marquiseo, I believe we would have had a higher chance of success if we would have caught the fish and started treatment earlier. But we did everything we could considering the circumstances. This is an unfortunate aspect of the hobby.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My condolences. It is very unfortunate, sorry for your loss. You both definitely did more than almost any other hobbyist would have to save those pieces of the ocean, thank you.

OP
OP
Marquiseo

Marquiseo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: Sorry to report that ours died overnight on Friday and we found it on Saturday morning.

Like @Marquiseo, I believe we would have had a higher chance of success if we would have caught the fish and started treatment earlier. But we did everything we could considering the circumstances. This is an unfortunate aspect of the hobby.
That sucks...I thought yours had a greater chance of survival.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Prisoner626

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this is an old thread but have a question. We have a PBT with these symptoms. Won't be able to get him to eat...so want to try epsom salt. Do I add it to the quarantine tank water?

Deinonych

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this is an old thread but have a question. We have a PBT with these symptoms. Won't be able to get him to eat...so want to try epsom salt. Do I add it to the quarantine tank water?

Yes. Dissolve in some tank water first, then add to the tank. If you have a HOB filter, add the solution to the filter.

Smite

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry old thread but my pin tail wrasse has been doing amazing for over a month. A few days ago he jump from one section to another in my QT. I cover the QT with a Rubbermaid lid. He seemed to be looking up and i was thinking he's looking for a hole to escape again. Not the case. He's swimming crazy loops and circles like mad. Even with lights off going nuts. When I fed the tank he snapped out of it and ate. I'm wondering if he's blocked up or over fed? I've been trying to get a group of anthias to eat and have been feeding very heavy.

Is it safe to dose Epsom salt with chelated copper?

greetl01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welp. I see not much luck with this issue but going to document my case in case I can save mine. I bought a juvenile 6 Line wrasse. Was swimming and eating fine for a week in copper treated QT. Woke up this morning to him swimming in spirals. Immediately came online so I’m pretty sure I’m getting at it in the early stages. He’s still eating so I scooped him into a bowl and held him upright to feed him frozen brine shrimp. I just treated with a general cure. I have an air stone in there so hopefully that will be enough oxygen. The tank I bought him out of was no doubt infected with ich so I’m sure probably flukes as well. I’m hoping not to have to do decompression as I’m a bit squirming but if I don’t see improvement by tomorrow off to Walgreens I go.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welp. I see not much luck with this issue but going to document my case in case I can save mine. I bought a juvenile 6 Line wrasse. Was swimming and eating fine for a week in copper treated QT. Woke up this morning to him swimming in spirals. Immediately came online so I’m pretty sure I’m getting at it in the early stages. He’s still eating so I scooped him into a bowl and held him upright to feed him frozen brine shrimp. I just treated with a general cure. I have an air stone in there so hopefully that will be enough oxygen. The tank I bought him out of was no doubt infected with ich so I’m sure probably flukes as well. I’m hoping not to have to do decompression as I’m a bit squirming but if I don’t see improvement by tomorrow off to Walgreens I go.
That is unlikely to be a swim bladder issue, and the copper treatment isn't the root cause. We see this in wrasse, usually small species - the key symptom is swimming oddly, but still eating. It appears to be a neurological condition. The cause and treatment is unknown - some people feel it is from the fish running into the side of the tank and suffering spinal injury. While that sounds plausible, these fish don't show damaged mouths, which you would expect to see in a fish that ran face-first into something. Personally, I feel it is due to an internal disease, viral perhaps, that affects the fish's nervous system. It isn't treatable, other than supportive care (feeding) like you are doing.

Jay

greetl01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is unlikely to be a swim bladder issue, and the copper treatment isn't the root cause. We see this in wrasse, usually small species - the key symptom is swimming oddly, but still eating. It appears to be a neurological condition. The cause and treatment is unknown - some people feel it is from the fish running into the side of the tank and suffering spinal injury. While that sounds plausible, these fish don't show damaged mouths, which you would expect to see in a fish that ran face-first into something. Personally, I feel it is due to an internal disease, viral perhaps, that affects the fish's nervous system. It isn't treatable, other than supportive care (feeding) like you are doing.

Jay
I just came in to say not looking good. Little guy isn’t eating anymore and is twirling like a baton. Thinking of euthanizing.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 23.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back