WTB small skimmer for 50 gal reef tank

VandyTime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you could put a 4" reef octopus in there and be happy, happy, happy!

Reef Octopus Pinwheel Skimmer

• Reef Octopus® 4" Pinwheel Skimmer
  • Dimensions: 10" x 6.75" x 19.75"
  • Rated up to 100 gallons.
  • Powered by 1 OTP 1000 pump at 250 gph
  • High performance venturi air injection system
  • Modified cone neck design designed for easy transition of micro bubbles into cup
  • Precision controlled gate valve
  • In sump only
  • 1 year manufacturer warranty on skimmer and pump

Last edited:

Fish Hoarder

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just picked up a SWC 120 for a new build where the sump is 20"x10". Haven't run the skimmer yet but I am happy, happy, happy with the footprint.

gmoney243

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well imo it is less work each 2 weeks takes under 5 min to scrape and rinse algae and smell is much more pleasant than skimate and took me more work cleaning my skimmer neck and cup every few days to a week. Just what I've experienced between the two.

Sent from my Vortex using Tapatalk 2

Dowtish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here we go....this debate is for another thread. The man is looking for a Skimmer, so let him try to find one.

I've got a coralife 125. It might work for your needs. Especially if you are not wanting to spend too much. $40

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Less Work? I don't consider scraping algae every week or 2 less work :crossedlips:

Better skimmers are easier to clean....not all are "better". ;) A "better" skimmer tuned to skim wet can need no more maintenance than emptying the "pee bucket" every week (or more depending how big your bucket is). Usually a stinky skimmer means more frequent cleanings or wetter skimming should be employed - or both.

FWIW I do plan to try an ATS someday regardless. Great concept for overstocked tanks especially, I think.

-Matt

P.S. Sorry for the side-track Mortgaged Reefs! Free bumps tho, right? ;) BTW if you get options I'd suggest an AquaC Urchin or Urchin Pro as probably the best skimmers in terms of performance on an absolutely tiny footprint. Good up to around 90 and 120 gallons respectively, depending on your livestock and pump used.

Last edited:

angrycubano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sup Marshall, glad you joined us over here. Now you need to poney up and join the club homie. Just use my old skimmer for time being until you find the one you like.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 23.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 57 34.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 50 30.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.4%
Back