Wtr chng in QT 2 fish dead

JennyGutt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all. Im very sad this morning. I had all my fishies in a 30 gal QT treating for ich outbreak. They just completed a 4 week copper treatment, they all did wonderful through it. Everyone ate like a pig the whole time and swam normally. No problems at all. So i did a 20 gallon water change yesterday to get the copper out. As much as i could cause i know its bad for them. Well my Flame Angel and Fox face were both dead this morning [emoji24]. Water temp and salinty was exact when i did the change so i have no clue how this happened. I use rodi water. Only thing i can even think might have happened is did i drop the copper level too quickly. I didn't know that was a bad thing if it is. Dies anyone know if that is probably why they died from dropping the copper level down so quickly?

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never had fish show any stress from removing copper even by 100%. Is your heater still working? Did a filter or powerhead stop working or breaking the surface? (This would starve them of oxygen which is something centropyge, particularly flame angels are very susceptible to), any chemicals used nearby? Do you use a swing arm or refractometer to test salinity?

Did you add any other meds or chemicals just before or after your water change? Example: Amquel, prime, praziquantel, etc.

OP
OP
JennyGutt

JennyGutt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep checked heater temp is 77 like usual. I have air stone and power head both working. I used refractometer salinity was perfectly matched at 25. This is so odd. I have 2 clowns that are still alive and acting fine in there still but i can't find why these two died.

OP
OP
JennyGutt

JennyGutt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was fast too. Within 5 to 6 hrs went from swimming around normal to dead

Playa-1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think a reduction in the copper level would have anything to do with it. 4 weeks in copper seems like a long time to me.

OP
OP
JennyGutt

JennyGutt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Checked ph its around 8.4. My water usually around 8.1...i hadnt checked theirs n a while because it had the copper but in a years time ive never seen a ph reading that high. I guess that coudve done it. I have no ideal why it is 8.4 range this has never happened b4. Same rodi water. I do use IO salt in my qt and coral pro in my dt. I ran out of IO during the water change so i added first 6 gallons worth of salt was IO the other 14 i used coral pro and it all mixed together to salinty of 25 which is exact what was n the tank. Could this have caused a problem?

OP
OP
JennyGutt

JennyGutt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think a reduction in the copper level would have anything to do with it. 4 weeks in copper seems like a long time to me.
Well thats the time period all my research said to do. And i did it for 1 weeks and was still seeing ich spots by week 3 no more spots. They ate like pigs and swam around like crazy too till about 5 hrs after water change yesterday. Somwthing deff went haywire with my waterchange. Man i thought after a year and no deaths for a long time i finally had it under control and figured out...guess not

Playa-1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Were you running Sg at 25ppm or was that a typo. I know that copper and low salinity can be a problem.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like a sudden parameter (SG, temperature) swing ... or a toxin (bug spray, household cleaner, etc.) got into your WC vat.

You can go from full therapeutic to zero copper with no ill effects; its just not a good idea to do that in reverse. ;)

Playa-1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah that's a bummer. Sorry to hear about that. I'm like you in that I don't like those kinds of mysterious issues.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

4 weeks is the correct amount of time for a proper QT with copper. There are ways around the 4 weeks but that usually involves more equipment including another QT. But you're correct, dropping copper would have no negative effects on the fish :)

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
4 weeks is an absolute minimum IMO I've gone 90 days without issue

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well thats the time period all my research said to do. And i did it for 1 weeks and was still seeing ich spots by week 3 no more spots. They ate like pigs and swam around like crazy too till about 5 hrs after water change yesterday. Somwthing deff went haywire with my waterchange. Man i thought after a year and no deaths for a long time i finally had it under control and figured out...guess not
It happens to the best of us unfortunately

Playa-1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's been a long time since I had to use copper so I guess I'm not up to speed on that one ;)

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 66 35.3%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.7%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 59 31.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%
Back