WWC commercial RO-DI?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Jeremy Young

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was interested in what commercial RO-DI system you guys are using.?

I've found I enjoy fraging and growing out colonies more than simply owning a tank I just look at occasionally and maintain.

So I'm trying to do my equipment research to make my life easier in the long run.

AcroNem

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't mean to take away from any answer WWC may give, and I can't recall a brand of the 2,000gpd system we have at our facility. But when I was running wall racks of holding systems and 8'x4' coral flats I had an RO daddy 1,000gpd with dual DI resin canisters from BRS after. It was amazing being able to make a LOT of water, but resin will be expensive.

OP
OP
Jeremy Young

Jeremy Young

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was able to ask Than at Tidal gardens today during the live sale stream, he mentioned spectrapure.

They have an RO system that can do 2,000+ gallons a day but looks like DI would have to be added in separately.

Still any additional information is good information since RO-DI at this scale is a niche market.

I got my eye on some 180" x 72" x 12" aquaculture trays that are 672 gallon.

Thinking of doing a reef wholesale setup like ecotech marine coral labs done a video on.

Last edited:

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wwc does not do DI if I rember correctly from the BRS videos

OP
OP
Jeremy Young

Jeremy Young

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting, must be there water source parameters.

Our local ground water here in west tennessee has no measurable elements or trace with the exception of high iron.

Buckeye Hydro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you jump up to a commercial system, as you would expect, the membranes get more expensive to replace, so the correct pretreatment becomes more important, especially because commercial systems are often configured to run at near 1:1.

Common pretreatment equipment include a carbon tank to treat chlorine/chloramine, and a softener to remove hardness. In your case, softeners also do a decent job of removing iron.

Russ

OP
OP
Jeremy Young

Jeremy Young

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you jump up to a commercial system, as you would expect, the membranes get more expensive to replace, so the correct pretreatment becomes more important, especially because commercial systems are often configured to run at near 1:1.

Common pretreatment equipment include a carbon tank to treat chlorine/chloramine, and a softener to remove hardness. In your case, softeners also do a decent job of removing iron.

Russ
Yea, I looked into Iron treatment and most either use salt, or a magnet.

Thou in drinking water by utility companies here they use an oxidation process to treat the water, basically an open air trickle tower to oxidize the iron.

OP
OP
Jeremy Young

Jeremy Young

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Adam from battlecorals goes into depth about his rodi system in his build thread. It's kinda a lot to look through, but it starts at post #210 here...

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/7...ou-guys-up-for-a-build-or-what.281197/page-11
I'll have to read more of that thread, I got thru maybe 7 pages before putting the kids to bed and crashing.

Also was watching some YouTube videos from uswater on the importance of RO pretreatment and what helped most was reading the technical specifications on their equipment.

For some reason technical specifications are what I understand best along with video to give me a general overview.

WWC

WWC Staff
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was interested in what commercial RO-DI system you guys are using.?

I've found I enjoy fraging and growing out colonies more than simply owning a tank I just look at occasionally and maintain.

So I'm trying to do my equipment research to make my life easier in the long run.

We actually built our own RO filter. Nothing off the shelf. You can get more information in the first BRS/WWC video. Good luck with your filter.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back