Wyoming Reefers........anyone??

Maximizer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ill have to look into designing a hatchery. Opens up a new world of possibilities haha.

Maximizer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does the feeder tube have to be clear? Can i build it out of colored pex tubing?

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tube does not have to be clear, it just needs to be thin. I would not build it thicker than about 3/8" or the shrimp will have trouble going down into the feeder. After you condense the shrimp. (I use a rotifer strainer from Florida Aqua Farms,) I put the shrimp and about a tablespoon of water into the little funnel, then add about an ounce of water and they all go into the feeder.
I use one of these for that and for all my feeding in general.

Maximizer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a picture of the strainer you use? Any problems with getting any off of the strainer/net?

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have a picture but it is a rigid rotifer strainer. Go here and look for one for rotifers http://florida-aqua-farms.com/shop/plankton-collectors-4-inch/

After I strain the water and am left with the shrimp in the net, I "shoot some water in there and before it all filters out I quickly turn it over and pour the contents into a container. All the shrimp come right out.
I use one of those squeeze things above to shoot the water in and put it in the feeder.

Maximizer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have a picture but it is a rigid rotifer strainer. Go here and look for one for rotifers http://florida-aqua-farms.com/shop/plankton-collectors-4-inch/

After I strain the water and am left with the shrimp in the net, I "shoot some water in there and before it all filters out I quickly turn it over and pour the contents into a container. All the shrimp come right out.
I use one of those squeeze things above to shoot the water in and put it in the feeder.
Thanks for your help. I will see what i can come up with. Any specific brand of brine shrimp that is better than the others? Does the hole size of the cloth on the feeder matter? Can i use a plastic mesh with 1/8" holes?

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, 1/8" is way to big. I use women's stockings. I make my wife buy them because that would just be weird for me to buy them. You need a mesh size that the shrimp can barely get through. You don't want the shrimp swimming through, you want them to get stuck so the fish suck them through. New Born brine shrimp are smaller than this
-----------> . <-------------

Maximizer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay i will get some women's stockings lol and my girlfriend will definitely be buying them for me.

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sweet thanks Paul. I am really thinking about get a mandrin now. 1st step built the feeder and buy the hatchery.
Maybe I mused it but you do sale the one you linked to yes?

If not I am sure I could DIY one to. For the aeration what small air pump is recommended? LPH?

Thanks for the inspiration. I am stocked about keeping my fav. Fish agin!!

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't sell anything and any tiny air pump will work.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
San Francisco shrimp are fine

code4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought my eggs from brine shrimp direct. They have rigid tubing also. I bought a small can, like a small coffee can. Still using the samples that came with the dishes over a year ago. The tube is about $2.00. Wish I had bought extra. It is green.

Shelley

Maximizer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought my eggs from brine shrimp direct. They have rigid tubing also. I bought a small can, like a small coffee can. Still using the samples that came with the dishes over a year ago. The tube is about $2.00. Wish I had bought extra. It is green.

Shelley
I was just looking at them. And they are somewhat local lol

code4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay i will get some women's stockings lol and my girlfriend will definitely be buying them for me.

I used an old net. Mind you it was a tightly woven one. It was blue. A friend said they have them at Wal-Mart. Worth checking, might be next to the stockings! :D

Shelley

code4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cheyenne checking in!

I drove right through Cheyenne yesterday. Had breakfast at Denny' s. I would love to check out some LFS the next time hubby and I go that way. To bad Great White in Fort Collins closed. I had noticed it was going downhill lately.

Glad to meet you!

Shelley

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 39 43.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 22.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 32.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.2%
Back