XAqua Overflow and pulsing return 5 mo review

ESH

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thought I'd write up a quick review on my 5 months experience with the XAqua Overflow and pulsing return.

Heres what I like:
  • Price: Listed around $99 and can be found online through BRS, marine depot and others.
  • Pulsing feature
  • Size: takes up minimal space in and outside the tank.
  • Return line kit: fits perfectly (must be purchased separately, and Im glad I did)
  • Install instructions: very straight forward.
  • Glass template: The overflow comes with a template for cutting a hole in your glass. I would recommend you run your glass drill bit through this template to increase the hole size. The glass drill bits should be run through these first as the diamond coating makes the drill bits slightly larger in diameter.
Heres what I dislike:
  • Pulsing feature seems to have diminished after 5 months. Disclaimer on this, I haven't tried taking it apart to see if anything is in the line and don't intend to. Im ok with how it is operating and the flow visually looks the same.
  • Return line kit: I like it, but at the same time you are sort of locked into using the factory part. For reasons beyond me, searching at ACE, Home Depot, and Lowes, I could not find a same size tube for the return line. I needed more length than whats comes with in the kit and had to connect it to PVC to make it work.
  • Overflow guard: This is held in place basically by a pressure fitting. A few times I've come home to see it came off, turned sideways and blocking most of the return.
  • Lack of a 3rd emergency return: If the above situation occurs without this, you do run the risk of an overflow. This could be mitigated by adding in one yourself.
  • Return line nut: There are 2 pegs for grip, both very flimsy. I broke the first one off installing this, the second later on when making adjustments. It seems like this was overlooked from the manufacturer or a cost saving measure was taken. With that said, you can still take this on and off without them, it just takes a little bit of patience.

Template taped on for drilling

Installed - note the plastic nubs on the return line nut. These break off pretty easily.

Pulsing: Note the wave like feature was from the return line, not the mP10.

Plumbing lines, routed along the wall, then connected to PVC

And where it stands today. In the upper right you can see a small wave coming from it, just not like where it started.

Overall, if I had to do it again, I would purchase and use this as it was very easy to install , takes up minimal room within and outside the tank, and gets the job done. Initially I was sold on the pulsing feature, but it goes away over time, and its really not needed as a stand alone feature. Add power heads for more flow. I've read if you take it apart and clean it that it comes back, though its not worth the time and effort it would take for taking apart some plumbing.

Thanks for reading and if anyone else has experience with these let me know! I'm really interested to hear if there is an easy fix to getting the pulse back (without taking it apart)

-Eric

Blue Spot Octopus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have heard that you can fix the pulse by using a pipe cleaner. I have the same unit as you but I have not lost the pulse function yet.

Isaac Alves

www.instagram.com/theloneaquarist/
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been using this overflow for 4+ years now on the same tank. No issues. I do like it a lot still. I did need to replace the PVC drain pipe from the xaqua pipe kit because of friction caused by moving it when I removed the skimmer to clean -- this happened over time but the soft vinyl between the rings began to tear. Replaced the drain pipe with an eshops flexible hose -- but needed to keep a piece of the original pipe on the connector to the drain box and fastened it over the eshops pipe.

Does anyone know if there's a cheaper way to replace the hose. Like a jacuzzi hose or something that fits the xaqua output nipple?

argiBK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
@isaacalves When I had XAquas on my old tanks, I simply used flexible vinyl tubing from Home Depot. You can get threaded flex vinyl as well for a bit more durability (it is stiffer however).

1.5” tubing for the drain is a little smaller in diameter than the slip, but heating the tube end helps a good deal and you can just use a hose clamp to ensure it stays on.

fishcalledwanda

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do any of the Inout owners in this thread have any tips on connecting the directional nozzle to the output? The box came with 2x nozzle tips and I have yet to pop either into place despite applying significant force. I'm worried I'm going to break something with the amount of force that I am applying. I've tried both pushing straight on and at an angle.

strandedviper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do any of the Inout owners in this thread have any tips on connecting the directional nozzle to the output? The box came with 2x nozzle tips and I have yet to pop either into place despite applying significant force. I'm worried I'm going to break something with the amount of force that I am applying. I've tried both pushing straight on and at an angle.
I just got mine the other day for my daughter's 40 gal reef and having the same issue with the nozzle not wanting to go on.

DOMlNO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got mine the other day for my daughter's 40 gal reef and having the same issue with the nozzle not wanting to go on.
I just got mine this week, and haven't installed it in the tank yet. I did however play with the nozzel and after soaking it in hot water for a few minutes was able to 'tap' it on with a small rubber mallet. How I'm going to do this once it's in the tank I don't know though.

For those that have this... I assume it drains all the way to the bottom of the outlet hole if the pump is turned off? Has anyone had issues with that?

rockdiver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually looking at this so a bump up to see any answers.
This was on a 30g was going to use 2 one one each end kinda centered or would that be a bad idea idk

Blue Spot Octopus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Domino it will drain to the bottom of the drain hole.
Rockdiver I am not sure if you will need two.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 34 27.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 41 32.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 30.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back