Xmoji 57 Reef

Xmoji

Eat, Sleep, Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Hey everyone, I wanted to track my reef tank on here and share with you all some of my ups and downs. I also want this to be a learning experience for new reefers who may be looking for information on keeping a successful reef tank.

The 57 is my second reef tank, previously I ran a Craigslist bought 29 gallon reef and quickly outgrew it. I knew I wanted a rimless tank so I shopped around and found a great deal at a Chicagoland area fish store. I got the 57 wet on December 29, 2015. I learned so much with my 29 gallon that I had a solid foundation and ideas for my 57. Today the tank is looking great and doing very well I have had very few losses of coral and have had my ups and downs with fish. Below is what the tank looked like when I started and how it looks today.

059DB3EB-D531-40C0-A510-F1E395D5BD6E.jpeg

B3AC7F5B-0276-474A-A594-1E0882F804C5.jpeg

F2EC7CE8-3D49-494E-8950-67E1B85B1915.jpeg

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone, I wanted to track my reef tank on here and share with you all some of my ups and downs. I also want this to be a learning experience for new reefers who may be looking for information on keeping a successful reef tank.

The 57 is my second reef tank, previously I ran a Craigslist bought 29 gallon reef and quickly outgrew it. I knew I wanted a rimless tank so I shopped around and found a great deal at a Chicagoland area fish store. I got the 57 wet on December 29, 2015. I learned so much with my 29 gallon that I had a solid foundation and ideas for my 57. Today the tank is looking great and doing very well I have had very few losses of coral and have had my ups and downs with fish. Below is what the tank looked like when I started and how it looks today.

059DB3EB-D531-40C0-A510-F1E395D5BD6E.jpeg

B3AC7F5B-0276-474A-A594-1E0882F804C5.jpeg

F2EC7CE8-3D49-494E-8950-67E1B85B1915.jpeg

Very nice upgrade. Old tank looked great!

OP
OP
Xmoji

Xmoji

Eat, Sleep, Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Hey reefers, Sunday maintenance day went well. I had my second round of changing out rock from my tank. As some of you know I have been redoing rock work and removing some coral as I want to go with more higher end sps.

About a month ago I pulled out one large piece of rock on the left side of my tank. That piece housed a second colony of green slimmer, third colony of Oregon Tort, blue Tort, peach monti and a few other corals.

I made the change over to Caribsea Life Rock. I’m a big fan of the man made rock made to looks matured. When I originally setup the 57 Gallon I went with Walt Smith 2.0. The reason why I like Caribsea better is because it has more pores and spaces to stick frags into.

After about a month of waiting for the new rock to grow some good bacteria, today I pulled out another large piece of Walt Smith rock that housed my mystic monti and some misc zoas. The mystic monti is gone but I kept the zoas. I replaced that rock with one larger Caribsea rock.

The rock work isn’t drastically different as far as the setup goes but I am making sure I have more surface area for my future sps. Here’s a current picture of the tank after the change.

148ba38084d107490d35d5e50b7dc3f9.jpg

1700ce994204e70541609c4a4109ef5b.jpg

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey reefers, Sunday maintenance day went well. I had my second round of changing out rock from my tank. As some of you know I have been redoing rock work and removing some coral as I want to go with more higher end sps.

About a month ago I pulled out one large piece of rock on the left side of my tank. That piece housed a second colony of green slimmer, third colony of Oregon Tort, blue Tort, peach monti and a few other corals.

I made the change over to Caribsea Life Rock. I’m a big fan of the man made rock made to looks matured. When I originally setup the 57 Gallon I went with Walt Smith 2.0. The reason why I like Caribsea better is because it has more pores and spaces to stick frags into.

After about a month of waiting for the new rock to grow some good bacteria, today I pulled out another large piece of Walt Smith rock that housed my mystic monti and some misc zoas. The mystic monti is gone but I kept the zoas. I replaced that rock with one larger Caribsea rock.

The rock work isn’t drastically different as far as the setup goes but I am making sure I have more surface area for my future sps. Here’s a current picture of the tank after the change.

148ba38084d107490d35d5e50b7dc3f9.jpg

1700ce994204e70541609c4a4109ef5b.jpg

Looking great and very colorful.

OP
OP
Xmoji

Xmoji

Eat, Sleep, Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
SPS Spotlight:

Back in February I took part in one of WWC’s Live Sales. I have only ever taken part in 3 lives sales ever. I ended up winning/purchasing one SPS. That coral is WWC Nuclear Grapes.

I was super excited about this piece not just because of the coloration, which is what usually attracts me to a particular coral, but because of the thickness of the branches. After seeing WWC’s mother colony pic of the Nuclear Grapes, I was taken back. The branches of this SPS are a lot thicker than most SPS and they also grow in a very straight pattern. The base and coralites are vibrant purple and the polyps are bright green.

According to WWC this coral loves light. They have it very high up in their grow out tank. In an effort to duplicate WWC’s success I placed my piece in a very high position in between the two pucks on my AP700. The perfect position, my overflow box.

So far my growth has been moderate. I would say for an SPS it has a normal growth rate. I’m hoping that with age my colors will turn out to look more like that mother colony I saw so many months ago. As we all know nothing good happens fast in this hobby. The purple is pretty apparent in my piece but the green polyps aren’t quiet there yet. My growth tips show more green than anything. Only time will tell.

The first and second pictures below were taken July 2018 and the third is from yesterday, December 2018.

9a9551b8f171a1a49dfb3e4cf5e1ad5b.jpg

c4332fbcf501e552af17380cd5885095.jpg

1d41e433970915eadbb9f274519b3e32.jpg

OP
OP
Xmoji

Xmoji

Eat, Sleep, Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Hey reefers, so today was a lot of fun. Spent the morning with my wife finishing Xmas shopping. She then had plans with her lady friends which left me FREE!! Anyway I was able to take a trip out to a couple fish stores. One of my stops was Blue Line Coral. While the owner isn’t a stick guy I still enjoyed the store and the awesome one year anniversary sale he had. I ended up getting some dry goods and food but the true stars of my purchases today are a couple of characters who will definitely make my tank more fun to watch.

Symbiotic relationships in animals can be a truly special thing to see. Today I saw a goby and pistol shrimp that were paired at the store. I was very interested but someone had purchased them already. Fortunately they had other goby’s and pistol shrimp that weren’t paired but for sale. I ended up bringing home a Wheelers Goby and Tiger Pistol Shrimp.

At the LFS they were in separate tanks and never met before so in an attempt to kick start that symbiotic relationship I didn’t put them freely in my tank after acclimation. Instead I have a net breeder box that I put together and placed in my tank to introduce the two to each other in a more confined environment. Hopefully after some time, not sure how long yet, they’ll pair up and live happily in my tank.

In the net breeder box I placed two halved biomedia spheres and put some sand from my tank in the box. Immediately the shrimp went to work and started to push sand around. The two weren’t really close to each other for the first couple hours but they are now side by side in the sandy area of the box. There seems to be some chemistry between the two!! Time will tell if they pair up and hopefully by the time I let them go in the tank they stay together.

OP
OP
Xmoji

Xmoji

Eat, Sleep, Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Good news is I transferred the goby and tiger pistol into the tank a little while ago and they are sticking together!! I placed the halved biomedia spheres in my sandbed where I wanted the to burrow. Following that I scooped up both the shrimp and goby together with my hand and placed them in the spot I wanted them at.

First, they separated but quickly found each other. After they found each other the shrimp went to work and started to make their new home and burrow under a rock. The goby stood guard while the shrimp worked. Very happy with the outcome. I hope my method can help other pair shrimp and goby’s.

OP
OP
Xmoji

Xmoji

Eat, Sleep, Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Good evening everyone! I hope everyone has had a great holiday season, now it’s back to reefing! So I have been busy buying coral the past couple of days. Being off of work has given me time to do some local and online shopping. I was able to score some sick pieces and some pieces that have been on my want list for some time so I’m super excited about them.

As you know, I have been slowly collecting higher end sps. Slowly changing my tank over to an even more dominate sps tank is really exciting. Fortunately, our Chicago Reefs forum has a par meter they loan out to Premium Members. I was lucky that it was available and Tom was able to send out for me to use. It’s been extremely useful as I now have concrete information on my AP700’s par output. I’m slowly making adjustments not to shock the existing sps. Using the par meter I was able to see how little light the back, sides and bottom of my tank were getting. Good this is I’m able to get about 380-400 in some areas of my tank but need to be patient and be careful not to kill anything!

As for some of the new pieces well here they are:

PC Rainbow
CRT Insidious
CRT Dragon King
RR Euphoria
ARC Fireworks
TCK King Acro
TSA Princess Peach

I will post some pictures of the new purchases later.

OP
OP
Xmoji

Xmoji

Eat, Sleep, Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Here are some of the new additions and some of the existing collection.

ARC Fireworks
a026ea29c6a3cbf8c5d1e7b9e6065309.jpg

TCK King Acro - very green right now
c39d590347c02f97d2454961f1e42627.jpg

TSA Princess Peach
ddc4ed91e9f1aace26ed2753ff27e60e.jpg

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 66 51.6%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 52.3%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 32 25.0%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.0%
Back