Yasha goby dying, please help

DooDeeReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please help!! I’m new to reefing and I’ve had a small yasha goby for 28 days now, he’s been in qt and was doing very well. Yesterday he seemed a bit lethargic for his pm feeding. Then ate some food and immediately spit it out and started breathing hard. I checked the water.
Temp 79
ammonia-0
nitrites-0
ph-7.8
salinity-1.024
Please help I don’t want him to die!!! He’s not swimming and rotating between half sideways and laying upside down. He’s breathing very hard and rapidly, at times almost contorting himself. I dosed the current water with prazipro as a preventative right before typing this. I’m currently making some water hoping to be able to do a massive water change Incase there’s something I’m missing. He has no physical symptoms and has been great until this point. Any advice would be much appreciated.

AE6BA5BA-91EE-4750-BE72-4196F0C0F095.jpeg C9339D04-29E2-4B52-9454-9F86B7C14E26.png 9C2A1E4E-E577-457F-A92C-4DC6FC38E060.jpeg

OP
OP
DooDeeReefer

DooDeeReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately, he passed.. it was very hard to watch but I understand it’s apart of reef keeping. Seriously a huge thank you to everyone who reached out!!!! It gave me comfort in a distressing time. I’m glad I know I have somewhere to reach out.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Do you have a reading for:
salinity?
ph?
Ammonia?
Nitrate?
Temperature?

OP
OP
DooDeeReefer

DooDeeReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a reading for:
salinity?
ph?
Ammonia?
Nitrate?
Temperature?

yeah, the parameters stayed the same the two days he was going through this.
salinity -1.024
Ph-7.8
Ammonia-0
Nitrites-0
Nitrates-0
Temp- 79

I think in the future I might treat my fish in the qt regardless of where I get them instead of just observing. I was nervous at first since he was wild caught and I didn’t want to stress him out too much. In the long run, I should have. Hate the idea that I could have done something else to help the poor guy. RIP Dig

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
salinity -1.024
Ph-7.8
Ammonia-0
Nitrites-0
Nitrates-0
Temp- 79

I think in the future I might treat my fish in the qt regardless of where I get them instead of just observing. I was nervous at first since he was wild caught and I didn’t want to stress him out too much. In the long run, I should have. Hate the idea that I could have done something else to help the poor guy. RIP Dig
zero ,zero and zero ??
I suspect new tank. What test kit(s) are you using ? Hopefully not API. Also RO or tap water ?

Jvalle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
salinity -1.024
Ph-7.8
Ammonia-0
Nitrites-0
Nitrates-0
Temp- 79

Hi how old is the tank ?

OP
OP
DooDeeReefer

DooDeeReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
zero ,zero and zero ??
I suspect new tank. What test kit(s) are you using ? Hopefully not API. Also RO or tap water ?

My main tank is just under a year old. I do have nitrites and phosphate showing in that tank but I kept my qt as close to zeroed out as possible. I used a sponge that was in my filter of my main tank during set up. And I have a RO set up for my water. Is the zero levels a factor in his demise?

Jvalle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi no I wouldn’t blame the zeros but I get what u say. He could have not adapted or got some type of sickness. It’s a hit or miss with wild fish and u will prob never find out so just try to put it behind you although it really sucks. I feel for you. I lost a gem tang that jumped out of the tank overnight last year because I guess he got spooked and that hurt bad because I had had him for 6 years already. Keep your head up thx

OP
OP
DooDeeReefer

DooDeeReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi how old is the tank ?
The qt I set up just before he arrived, so just under a month. My main tank is around 8 months old. I’ve had my two clowns in there about 6 months. But the yasha goby never touched anything but the qt tank. Although, I did put some sand in a Tupperware for him from my main into the qt for him .

OP
OP
DooDeeReefer

DooDeeReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi no I wouldn’t blame the zeros but I get what u say. He could have not adapted or got some type of sickness. It’s a hit or miss with wild fish and u will prob never find out so just try to put it behind you although it really sucks. I feel for you. I lost a gem tang that jumped out of the tank overnight last year because I guess he got spooked and that hurt bad because I had had him for 6 years already. Keep your head up thx

I’m so sorry to hear about your gem tang, that’s so hard to have had happen, especially after so long together. It truly is a helpless feeling but I appreciate sharing your story because I have a long road ahead of me in terms of loves and loss in my reef keeping adventure. It keeps me inspired because ultimately it’s worth it. I still want a yasha goby but for now I’m going to give it some time. And I am thankful I still have my main tank doing well!!!

Jvalle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m so sorry to hear about your gem tang, that’s so hard to have had happen, especially after so long together. It truly is a helpless feeling but I appreciate sharing your story because I have a long road ahead of me in terms of loves and loss in my reef keeping adventure. It keeps me inspired because ultimately it’s worth it. I still want a yasha goby but for now I’m going to give it some time. And I am thankful I still have my main tank doing well!!!
glad you got a good perspective on this and I agree. I can tell you have passion for the hobby like me and love it. Its like life on a smaller scale, you will have good days and bad ones. stay safe and enjoy your tank. thx

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 68 52.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 51.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 33 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back