YASSSSSSS! I'm making RO/DI!!!!!

bdyslm

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a good deal on a Marine Depot 4 stage. After several trips to HD, I finally got it all hooked up with wye between the washer cold water and hanging in the laundry room (theres a drain there and I'm in a TH rental).

No more schlepping buckets 30-45 min each way to LFS and back.

I'd doing my freaking happy dance!

:wig:
:clap:
:cheers:
:thumbsup:
:lol2:
:biggrin:

Next up making my own SW.

If anyone wants to comment. I'm just below 80psi into the unit. How long should it take me to make a 20 gallon brute? Got the alarm set for 20 minutes. I know it will take longer but just want to check on progress. Next up is probably a float valve so I dont have to worry about that.

For making SW. Wondering if I should just mix 20 gallons worth in the brute? But then I'm dipping 5 gallon buckets in the brute to schlep it upstairs to the tanks. Concerned about contaminates by dunking the bucket. Highly doubt I can carry the brute up a flights and half of stairs and even I can do I want to? I could just make the RO right into the 5 gallon buckets but again doesnt seem like the most efficient. Being in a rental that I know Im moving out of next summer, I dont really want to build out a full mixing station. I'm just happy to be making it myself at this point but more details to work out.

20 gallons the first time might make sense because I will need to fill my daughters new IM Nuvo 20. But on a weekly/bi-weekly basis I'll be doing a 5 gallon change in my nuvo 40 and 5 gallons in her nuvo 20. Unless others thinks that too much in the 20. Point is....I'm starting out with RSCP salt and I've heard you shouldnt keep it longer than 3-4 hours after mixing so making a whole 20 and having it sit there doesnt seem to work.

do i get an inexpensive pump to pump water out of the brute with RO/DI into my second brute and mix the SW in there? That way i can do a smaller amount and it's easier to carry upstairs? or pick up and pour into the 5 gal buckets?

DC Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats on getting it set-up. Just get a T and a couple of valves for the two brutes and you can make water in both of them, or you can move the output line from Brute to Brute. Best case would be 1 T, 2 valves and 2 floats, then you can hook up the RODI to both Brutes and control which one you want the water to go to;)

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I remember the elation when i no longer had to buy ro water but rather make my own.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its fine to store the salt water mix. Mix it then cover it. Before use, run the pump to mix it again to add some air/ oxygen to the mix.
or
Do I get an inexpensive pump to pump water after the brute with RO/DI into my second brute?
Mix the SW in there?
That way I can do a smaller amount and it's easier to carry upstairs or pick up and pour into the 5 gal buckets.
So you dont have to dip the 5 gallon bucket use a 1qt pitcher

Jimbhoy13

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great to have rodi unit. Saves money on shop buying. Depends how big your tank is and how often you need water changes. 20 gallons is big. I use a smaller drum then use a cheap pump to transfer into 25 litre containers.
I bought a float valve because the drum overflowed many time when I didn’t keep an eye on it.

OP
OP
B

bdyslm

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its fine to store the salt water mix. Mix it then cover it. Before use, run the pump to mix it again to add some air/ oxygen to the mix.
or

So you dont have to dip the 5 gallon bucket use a 1qt pitcher

thanks for the link to purchase a pitcher :p

Mike from TN

Owner/ Operator of the worlds most crowded Evo
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you get rodi setup you feel so professional and that your doing the right thing for your animals. Congrats on the system
And when you show all your buddies that system hanging on the laundry room wall, you will be forever known as the “ mad chemist”! LOL!
I just started making my own RO/DI and sea water also. It’s a great feeling to always have some on hand for emergencies!

OP
OP
B

bdyslm

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats on getting it set-up. Just get a T and a couple of valves for the two brutes and you can make water in both of them, or you can move the output line from Brute to Brute. Best case would be 1 T, 2 valves and 2 floats, then you can hook up the RODI to both Brutes and control which one you want the water to go to;)

the only challenge with that is I don't have enough room in my laundry room for 2 brutes side by side or even close. It's tiny and I also need to be able to access the storage area behind the washer and dryer. As it is half the time I wack my shoulder as I impersonate the hunchback of note dame trying to get past the HVAC ducts.

OP
OP
B

bdyslm

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great to have rodi unit. Saves money on shop buying. Depends how big your tank is and how often you need water changes. 20 gallons is big. I use a smaller drum then use a cheap pump to transfer into 25 litre containers.
I bought a float valve because the drum overflowed many time when I didn’t keep an eye on it.

also save me money because 90% of the time I go to the LFS for RO/DI I end up getting something else. but that's partially because I'm new to the hobby and stocking the tank.

OP
OP
B

bdyslm

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And when you show all your buddies that system hanging on the laundry room wall, you will be forever known as the “ mad chemist”! LOL!
I just started making my own RO/DI and sea water also. It’s a great feeling to always have some on hand for emergencies!

I totally took a video and sent to my buddy and was OMG I'm FREEEEEEEEEEE!

Mike from TN

Owner/ Operator of the worlds most crowded Evo
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
also save me money because 90% of the time I go to the LFS for RO/DI I end up getting something else. but that's partially because I'm new to the hobby and stocking the tank.
Get used to buying “goodies” every time you go The the LFS “just for water”!
It’s all part of the reefing addiction.

Woodneers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You might try some 3 gallon jugs! I use them throughout my house on various tanks, mine are 3 gallon jugs. Far easier to carry and they have nice lids. I make water in a 20 gallon brute add 6.32lbs of salt mix overnight then use a small mj1200 with a section of vinyl tubing to dispense into jugs. Works well.

OP
OP
B

bdyslm

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You might try some 3 gallon jugs! I use them throughout my house on various tanks, mine are 3 gallon jugs. Far easier to carry and they have nice lids. I make water in a 20 gallon brute add 6.32lbs of salt mix overnight then use a small mj1200 with a section of vinyl tubing to dispense into jugs. Works well.

which salt are you using?

are you measuring with a bathroom scale?

one of those would also make much more sense for ~10% water change on the 20g

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 6 7.1%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 4.8%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 64 76.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 6.0%

Back