Yellow belly regal acting weird

Haunted

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys I'm new here, have a 180 gal mixed reef, recently my yellow belly regal/blue tang has been acting stressed.

He hides behind the rockwork swimming in place and opening and closing his mouth rapidly, he's also got a grayish pallor on his belly and on his body where his fins collapse. He also stopped eating pellets but will eat mysis which I give with selcon though not much

Nitrate was abit higher then I like so I thought it might be that and did 2 water changes with no change. I've had this tang 5 or 6 years now and nothing new has been added to the tank in a year nor is there any aggression towards him.

I took 2 (low quality) videos though it's not very good due to him hiding whenever I get close so had to zoom

Anyone know what this might be?

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like extreme HLLE it hexamita (hole in head) disease at a minimum, from what little I can see from the video.

OP
OP
H

Haunted

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like he's got some flesh missing on his nose or is that just an artifact of the video?
He has a space between the rockwork he used to ram himself into whenever I walked by and I think he scratched himself from it before he got used to me, the face stuff he's had for years, used to be worse but it never fully healed despite zoecon/selcon soaked foods

AllSignsPointToFish

"No Longer The Guy Without FaceBook"
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you checked for stray voltages in your tank?

The heavy breathing has me puzzled. Normally, that might be gill flukes, but you stated that nothing new has been added to the tank, right?

OP
OP
H

Haunted

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like extreme HLLE it hexamita (hole in head) disease at a minimum, from what little I can see from the video.
Isnt that more of a condition then a disease? Would that be likely to lead to him twitching or whatever hes doing? Hes had the face spots since forever due to ramming himself into the rockwork at the first sign of a person, its healed alot since then but that last spot on his face never did

OP
OP
H

Haunted

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you checked for stray voltages in your tank?

The heavy breathing has me puzzled. Normally, that might be gill flukes, but you stated that nothing new has been added to the tank, right?
No nothing at all in over a year, I havent checked for stray voltage though, the heavy breathing had me confused as well I added 2 airstones and an extra wavemaker last week but no improvement

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Flukes lead to twitching most often which would need to be confirmed via a freshwater dip in a large bucket. Look for small sesame seeds dropping off.

Hexameta may be itchy and cause that, too. It’s normal for hippos to wedge in rocks but they don’t scratch themselves doing it (not like that, anyway). My bet is on something else going on.

That’s an amazing checkerboard wrasse there, I have not seen one so beautiful. They’re aggressive little suckers.

@HotRocks check it out

OP
OP
H

Haunted

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Flukes lead to twitching most often which would need to be confirmed via a freshwater dip in a large bucket. Look for small sesame seeds dropping off.

Hexameta may be itchy and cause that, too. It’s normal for hippos to wedge in rocks but they don’t scratch themselves doing it (not like that, anyway). My bet is on something else going on.

That’s an amazing checkerboard wrasse there, I have not seen one so beautiful. They’re aggressive little suckers.

@HotRocks check it out
I havent added anything to this tank in a year now, could flukes have been there hidden that long? I always assumed HLLE wasnt a fatal condition either, just that it could lead to other bacterial infections down the line. Could thar explain his grayish pallor or heavy breathing?

Thank you about the wrasse, shes super bold and will stare at me and swim about even when I'm working on things in the tank haha

OP
OP
H

Haunted

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with @4FordFamily. I think you will need to get him out of the tank to be able to do any treatments. If it is something transmissible like flukes, you would also be protecting the rest of your fish.
Is flukes likely even without any new additions? Getting him out would be crazy difficult if even possible

AllSignsPointToFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I havent added anything to this tank in a year now, could flukes have been there hidden that long? I always assumed HLLE wasnt a fatal condition either, just that it could lead to other bacterial infections down the line. Could thar explain his grayish pallor or heavy breathing?

Thank you about the wrasse, shes super bold and will stare at me and swim about even when I'm working on things in the tank haha
Sorry to belabor the point, but have you added anything at all including macroalgae, inverts, or anything else a hitchhiker could've have stolen a ride on?

OP
OP
H

Haunted

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to belabor the point, but have you added anything at all including macroalgae, inverts, or anything else a hitchhiker could've have stolen a ride on?
No, purple tang was the very last thing added which was last year, no corals, no rocks, nothing

AllSignsPointToFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, purple tang was the very last thing added which was last year, no corals, no rocks, nothing
Well, I can say that, in my experience, when a fish is breathing that heavily and hiding in an established tank, they are in serious trouble.

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

HLLE certainly can be fatal. It’s possinle for hexamita or flukes to remain for a long time and only impact fish in a weakened state (such as those heavily afflicted with HLLE).

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back