OP
H

Haunted

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I can say that, in my experience, when a fish is breathing that heavily and hiding in an established tank, they are in serious trouble.
Yeah seems like I only have 3 solutions, check for voltage (how can I do this? I understand if voltage is present you place a grounding rod I think? How do I check?) try to get him out which judging by how interlocked the rockwork is will likely not be easy if even possible or wait and see if he can pull through :/

Assuming I can pull him exactly what would I treat with? Are flukes still a possible cause even though nothing was added for 1y and he should be dipped? How would I combat HLLE? Hes already been getting selcon/zoecon for that.

AllSignsPointToFish

"No Longer The Guy Without FaceBook"
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah seems like I only have 3 solutions, check for voltage (how can I do this? I understand if voltage is present you place a grounding rod I think? How do I check?) try to get him out which judging by how interlocked the rockwork is will likely not be easy if even possible or wait and see if he can pull through :/

Assuming I can pull him exactly what would I treat with? Are flukes still a possible cause even though nothing was added for 1y and he should be dipped? How would I combat HLLE? Hes already been getting selcon/zoecon for that.
You can do a freshwater dip immediately to kill off the adult flukes, then treat with Prazipro in a QT for any additional flukes. Make sure you aearate well as the Prazi will most like cause a bacterial bloom.

Remove the Prazi with carbon or a large water change.

You can follow up with kanamycin or Furan-2 for a bacterial infection.

AllSignsPointToFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Assuming all that goes well, maintain a good diet including vitamin supplements on the food while in QT. If it were me, I would even consider a course of copper treatment once the fish is eating well and appears to be doing better.

OP
OP
H

Haunted

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can do a freshwater dip immediately to kill off the adult flukes, then treat with Prazipro in a QT for any additional flukes. Make sure you aearate well as the Prazi will most like cause a bacterial bloom.

Remove the Prazi with carbon or a large water change.

You can follow up with kanamycin or Furan-2 for a bacterial infection.
So just so I understand you suspect this could still be flukes? Even with 1y nothing new?

AllSignsPointToFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So just so I understand you suspect this could still be flukes? Even with 1y nothing new?
Wish I had a different idea at this point, but yes....especially with the labored breathing.

Maybe @Humblefish can weigh in with other ideas.

OP
OP
H

Haunted

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wish I had a different idea at this point, but yes....especially with the labored breathing.

Maybe @Humblefish can weigh in with other ideas.
Hey so by the time I came home last night the lights were out and he was already stuffed in his den, I set up the fish trap, prepared the freshwater dip and figured I'd wait till he was up today to bait it with mysis but sadly found him on the sand now, I took him out and examined him, not sure if this matches/doesnt match fluke symptoms assuming they remain post death.

-Eyes clear no fogging
-Fins whole
-Belly extremely bloated

Do flukes remain on the body after death or immediately detach? I floated his body in the freshwater but dont see anything coming off if they remain

Very upset as he was with me many years but I have to try to figure out if this is something that can spread, was considering dosing the tank with prazipro since even if it's not the cause it also works as a preventative.

Thanks for the suggestions and help

Took this pic to show how bloated his stomach was, not sure if that's an indicator of something or not though

20190321_121939.jpg

OP
OP
H

Haunted

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Internal parasites of some sort?

I'm really sorry to see that :(
I wish I knew, do flukes have this effect or is it something else? Is this a concern for the other fish there? I'm gonna watch them closely but so far all normal today, or as normal as it can be with 1 less fish :(

AllSignsPointToFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not so familiar with internal parasites, but gill flukes can make the fish respirate quickly like shown in your video. If you didn't see any detach in the freshwater dip, then it probably wasn't flukes.

If the other fish seem okay, I'd just monitor the situation.

RtomKinMad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I havent added anything to this tank in a year now, could flukes have been there hidden that long? I always assumed HLLE wasnt a fatal condition either, just that it could lead to other bacterial infections down the line. Could thar explain his grayish pallor or heavy breathing?

Thank you about the wrasse, shes super bold and will stare at me and swim about even when I'm working on things in the tank haha
We just recently had flukes. We hadn’t added anything new either but moved fish to new tank and had all kinds of stress then all my large angels got flukes. We used Prazi and better. But I think we had them before just didn’t know it! Hope your fish is ok.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 68 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 60 33.1%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.8%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back