Yellow Coris Wrasse Care

Whirly

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First time, was a lunar wrasse that I had never had a issue out of, then one day came home to a yellow tail hanging out of his mouth.. The last one was a very timid cat shark that wouldn't even bother the shrimp in the tank. Apparently the wrasse was just in the wrong spot at the wrong time. Mistake on my part. I took the shark back the next day, before i had another incident.

Whirly

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Despite my questionable stocking list. These are the only two incidents I've ever had. There is no aggression in my tank. And everyone is fat and happy. Including my Copperband Butterfly.

OP
OP
A

AC1211

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't want to pronounce him dead but its tough hoping for him after 5 weeks.

Whirly

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There was a time where I didn't see my wrasse for several weeks. If you are that curious, comb the sandbed with your fingers. Try not to stir up too much dust. But if you get close to him you'll know it

skiwez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had the same thing happen. When he did finally show up it didn't seem like he lost weight. Which led me to believe that he was foraging at night. Eventually he sid readjust and come out during the day but was markedly timid.

OP
OP
A

AC1211

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Over 6 weeks he is out and eating and still has good weight on him wow impressive.

OP
OP
A

AC1211

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is still doing well now I have a flasher wrasse that hides. Another note I think once they get big it would be best to avoid small hermits and snails. I just got a blue tuxedo urchin. Hoping it eats a lot of algae.

Squidward

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
MInes was found dead... half of the bottom was torn up. He went into hiding for a few months since I added a large Cuban Hogfish. I suppose the Cuban Hogfish spooked it into hiding and eventually killed it.

OP
OP
A

AC1211

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
MInes was found dead... half of the bottom was torn up. He went into hiding for a few months since I added a large Cuban Hogfish. I suppose the Cuban Hogfish spooked it into hiding and eventually killed it.
I think my clowns are beating up my flasher wrasse.

OP
OP
A

AC1211

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice job! I've never had a wrasse, so I'm pretty ignorant on their care, benefits, etc. You did have me wanting to get one, right up until you mentioned that they may eat feather dusters. We have a large FD that is many years old, and I would hate to lose it to a hungry fish. Very informative video though!
Update on that I retested feather dusters and it turns out they only eat small feather dusters when they are fully grown. I currently have a large feather duster with mine now.

OP
OP
A

AC1211

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am currently missing a flasher wrasse right now I guess wrasses are just prone to occasionally disapearing.

OP
OP
A

AC1211

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added a feather duster and mine picks at it. Since there are mixed reports maybe it is individual based.

OP
OP
A

AC1211

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Still doing well considering the rest of the tank crashed.

Back