Yellow Coris Wrasse Care

clm65

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice job! I've never had a wrasse, so I'm pretty ignorant on their care, benefits, etc. You did have me wanting to get one, right up until you mentioned that they may eat feather dusters. We have a large FD that is many years old, and I would hate to lose it to a hungry fish. Very informative video though!

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of my favorite fishes for our tanks.

Are Halichoeres spp wrasses a risk with feather dusters? I've never heard that. I've never kept feather dusters with mine, admittedly. Small snails and small crustaceans are reportedly risky.

I would not advise keeping any wrasse species in groups in our aquariums. They all turn male and generally don't tolerate males of the same species. H. chrysus is among the easiest going wrasses, but is still a risk. Mixing different Halichoeres spp can be done successfully.

Good advice on the dottybacks. There is a potential compatibility issue there, especially if you aren't talking P. fridmani (orchid dotty). Damsels of are totally fine, however. There are lots of great Chrysiptera damsels.

OP
OP
A

AC1211

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice job! I've never had a wrasse, so I'm pretty ignorant on their care, benefits, etc. You did have me wanting to get one, right up until you mentioned that they may eat feather dusters. We have a large FD that is many years old, and I would hate to lose it to a hungry fish. Very informative video though!
They do eat feather dusters but occasional individuals may leave the alone. Not worth the risk especially if its a nice feather duster like christmas tree worms or just a large one...

OP
OP
A

AC1211

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of my favorite fishes for our tanks.

Are Halichoeres spp wrasses a risk with feather dusters? I've never heard that. I've never kept feather dusters with mine, admittedly. Small snails and small crustaceans are reportedly risky.

I would not advise keeping any wrasse species in groups in our aquariums. They all turn male and generally don't tolerate males of the same species. H. chrysus is among the easiest going wrasses, but is still a risk. Mixing different Halichoeres spp can be done successfully.

Good advice on the dottybacks. There is a potential compatibility issue there, especially if you aren't talking P. fridmani (orchid dotty). Damsels of are totally fine, however. There are lots of great Chrysiptera damsels.
I have heard in smaller tanks that damsels are a problem and that occasional individual damsels have attakced these wrasses even in large tanks. In most cases they were the yellow damsel though...color may be a problem.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
These guys are hardy, as colorful as a yellow tang and great eaters.
They are shy but come around in time and super fish when it comes to pest control in the tank

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

AC1211

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This video has been one of my most viewed videos likely due to the fact that you can search yellow coris wrasse care and find this page... should I make similar videos on my other fish?

OP
OP
A

AC1211

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New info that I feel like I did not focused on enough... when adding larger fish, yellow coris wrasses may hide for 2 to 3 weeks...which I have going on at the moment.

OP
OP
A

AC1211

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My wrasse has been hiding for over 3 weeks now there is a chance he may have died due to stress.

Squidward

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What stressed him? I have one that is doing pretty well. No other fish bothers him. Love the yellow on him and my bicolor angel. No interest at all in getting a yellow tang so those 2 guys shows all the yellow I'll need.
Most of my fish are tangs though. No large angels or carnivores.

OP
OP
A

AC1211

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What stressed him? I have one that is doing pretty well. No other fish bothers him. Love the yellow on him and my bicolor angel. No interest at all in getting a yellow tang so those 2 guys shows all the yellow I'll need.
Most of my fish are tangs though. No large angels or carnivores.
I added a yellow and a kole tang. He may still be alive but at this point searching would do more harm than good.

OP
OP
A

AC1211

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well my yellow coris wrasse has been missing for 5 weeks should I presume that the tangs killed him or stressed him to death?

Whirly

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love YCW, problem is both I have had, have been eaten. I'll probably wait a while before getting another. Pretty bummed about that last one.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 2 4.0%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 31 62.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 12 24.0%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 4 8.0%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 2.0%
Back